Business & Finance The Great Takeover: Coles and Woolworths

How do you shop, and how do you want to shop?

• Solely Coles or Woolies, not worried about their market share

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Majority of my shopping is through small local business

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • I buy my meat at the local butcher and use the giants for general stuff

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I'm concerned, but still shop at the giants because its convenient

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I shop at the giants because I cant find any local grocers in my immediate area

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Channeling my inner SB here (except I provide cliffnotes at the bottom ;))

We all know Coles and Woolworths, we all most likely have shopped at either or. We all most likely do all of our shopping at one of these two places. Its a little tribal, for instance my girlfriend is a coles girl and I'm a woolys guy, so when she shops at Coles I get annoyed because they dont have a couple of things I like etc

And what we also know, but dont really like to invest too much time thinking about, is these two companies own an absurdly high percentage of the grocery market share, around 75% roughly. The immediate and obvious impact of this is small business owners, think local butchers/fruit stores and even now pharmacies and plenty others.

The second and also much publicized impact of this type of power and competition against each other is the price these stores purchase products off the supplier. We all remember the media uproar of Coles and Woolies going toe to toe in milk wars, driving down the gate price of the farmers milk, destroying the farmers profits and ability to earn a living. For those who didnt catch it or dont remember, Coles and Woolies essentially said to the farmers "this is the new price of milk" over and over again, driving the gate price down to an absurdly low amount so they could pass on promos such as $1 per liter to get people in to the store. There are other examples I've heard but dont have sources for of these companies going to other general supplies and telling them what they'll be buying their product at. The suppliers dont have a choice, if you're not on their shelves you're not selling at all.

A third and not so obvious effect of their power is what actually sits on the shelf. Their own branded products are growing from strength to strength. Take Woolworths Tomato Sauce for example. They would obviously want their own product to sell over the other products from Fountain or Heinz wont they? So how do they do it? Firstly they undercut because they have that power, so the suppliers who manage to get their products on the shelves of these supermarkets are going to be competing directly against a bottle next to them on a shelf thats cheaper.

But how long until Woolworths want the entire tomato sauce market? What happens when you, a keen Heinz Tomato sauce man (or your wife), is shopping and dont see any Heinz sauce on the shelf? Do you storm out of the store, and go trecking across the suburb for another supermarket with Heinz? Probably not. For now, if you're diligent, you'll make the effort to not buy sauce, you'll go to another store and buy it. How long will that last? Are you destined to do all your shopping at Woolworths, except for sauce? You'll always make an extra stop off for that delicious red poison? You might, but most wont. They'll pick up the next sauce bottle, whatever it is. And so, by eliminating one product from its shelf, Woolworths have just increased their own market share of tomato sauce.

Now apply this to all products, to butter, milk, bread, spices and all the other things you buy. If we were to lose all of our favorite products at once, of course we would leave. But make no mistake, product by product, price by price, theyre increasing their ownership of what they sell and what we buy, and where the money goes. It'll be death by a thousand cuts, small blow after small blow, they'll own more and more and others will silently go broke.

Less to small business shop fronts, less to farmers, and less to suppliers, to the point where they will control nearly everything we eat and buy. At the moment they currently control about 75% of the grocery market, which is scary to say the least. Along side that, a lot of the remaining 25% is split up between Aldi, IGA, while a mere 7% remains under the category of "other supermarkets" (read small business owners)

So what can we do about it? We can all pledge to shop more at our local green grocer and butcher, but will we really?

We are probably too far past the tipping point, but if we dont act now to increase the market share of smaller companies, I guess we never will.

But thats the discussion, whats your tipping point? What would the two giants have to do to stop you from shopping there? Is the price too good and your bottom line is paramount? Or are you already shopping local and making your dollar talk?

There are many, many branches that veer off on this topic, such as their fuel control, credit cards, pokie machines, liquor, insurance companies and much more. They have a massive customer base and everybody wants it, GE Money have just signed up with Coles and Coles will soon be offering personal loans. GE need Coles customer base through their reward card (remember when we all gave them all of our details for 1c discount on flights for every dollar we spend?), Coles want that precious loan interest money. Others may be more experienced to introduce points of discussion on those topics, which are certainly as dangerous,

Imagine a world where you need to go get a Coles loan, to pay off your Coles credit card, because you've maxed it out using it buy Coles Fuel, Coles groceries and your Coles insurance home and car premium. Plus you might want to sneak a little down the Coles pokies on the weekend at the Coles own local pub.

Over to you, bigfooty

Cliffnotes:
-Coles and Woolies own 75% of the grocery market
-They have the power to choose what foods make it to their shelves, and in turn what companies succeed and fail as we'll only buy what they present to us
-Because of this power, they essentially decide what price they want to buy from suppliers, because suppliers cant say no because there are no other avenues to sell from, they'll go broke
-They are branching out to several other markets which they already have good control over
-Its killing small business
-When will it end, someone think of the children

Marketshare source: http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5...oolworths-while-aldi-makes-gains-201402120013

Good topic. I have noticed the designs on some of the Coles and Woolies branded stuff is that close to the Brand name product it is borderline plagiarism. The range of brands either stock has also dwindled. Will become a WallMart market model soon where Coles and Woolworths set the price from something and will eventually find a producer which will to them at that price.

Great topic and one that I think needs addressing. I see a lot of their dominance coming down to laziness. The same people I see winging about jobs going off shore and jobs disappearing are the same people buying the cheapest options... (Anecdotal so feel free to disagree).

I very rarely shop in either. I stick to butchers and small retailers. The few dollars I pay extra is made up in quality.

Their market power is quite disturbing and something that should be more well known within the community. Growing up in a smaller city and having heard first hand the problems with Coles and woolies and their suppliers (particularly the dairy farmers) really opened my eyes. The toothless government agencies that are supposed to moniter these things have really shown to be ineffective and there really needs to be some form help in stopping their anti-competitive practices.

Great topic and one that I think needs addressing. I see a lot of their dominance coming down to laziness. The same people I see winging about jobs going off shore and jobs disappearing are the same people buying the cheapest options... (Anecdotal so feel free to disagree).

I very rarely shop in either. I stick to butchers and small retailers. The few dollars I pay extra is made up in quality.

Their market power is quite disturbing and something that should be more well known within the community. Growing up in a smaller city and having heard first hand the problems with Coles and woolies and their suppliers (particularly the dairy farmers) really opened my eyes. The toothless government agencies that are supposed to moniter these things have really shown to be ineffective and there really needs to be some form help in stopping their anti-competitive practices.

I remember somebody saying along the lines that, wouldnt anybody who buys milk be happy to pay an extra .05c a litre of milk if it went straight on top of the gate price? I know its not that simple because the extra 5c going through the supermarkets pockets creates tax and other implications so 5c can never equal 5c so to speak...

But the point was, most of us are sitting here saying we'd be happy to pay a fraction more if it went to the farmers, but it was the buyers (Coles and Woolies) that refused and demanded lower prices "for our own good" essentially

It would be interesting to see how well Milk would sell, if under each brand etc the gate price was listed. I'm sure most would gladly pay an extra 50c a litre or whatever for a higher gate price knowing its better for the industry and farmers

I know some who tread these boards have been or are employed by these companies, what are they like as employers?

Coincidentally I was employed by Big W as a teenager

They were fine, I enjoyed the job. The pay was $8 an hour as a kid. I think employement wise, its about the only thing they do ok in. I know a guy whos made a career out of starting pushing trollys, and my boss was a guy who started as a teenager and was now earning around 150k as a 30 something year old managing stores

I know some who tread these boards have been or are employed by these companies, what are they like as employers?
From all accounts coles and woolworths are good employers. I know a few people who have worked for either and have no complaints.

From all accounts coles and woolworths are good employers. I know a few people who have worked for either and have no complaints.

Employement is probably one of their bigger PR allies

Recently I watched a doco about Walmart and how they takeover towns in the US when they move in, it looked like Walmart really got in to peoples heads as the good guys by constantly advertising their employee satisfaction and how they create careers for people without a college education etc

I think a lot of people see the same thing with these two companies, basically everybody knows someone who works there, so naturally people want them around. You'll see adds pop up from time to time about careers forged in the aisles of a Woolworths store etc

I buy my meat from a local butcher and go to my fruit and veg shop and the rest of the crap I generally go to foodland or IGA and I might shop around the BIG 2 to see if there are any cheap prices.

Have thought about this a lot lately. Have noticed over the last 12 months their products are becoming more and more prominent, and really squeezing out the individual suppliers of different products in terms of the amount of shelf space and prominence. Coles products often take up 3/4 of an allocated product's display, and have the more prominent position.

This is all ok in some ways, because it's the same s**t. But eventually, they'll force companies (like Old El Paso, pasta sauce makers like Leggos, Heinz, Arnotts, cosmetics and cleaning stuff) out of the market/out of business. Then watch the campaigners up their prices on "home brand" products when they've removed the other competition from their own shelves (in a stealthy way so they remain liked).

Scumbags they are. I work at a small supermarket franchise which I think does quite well (just hazarding a guess from my time working there. Haven't seen the books), so lately we've been trying to support them more as it's not only closer but you get far friendlier service in my opinion too.

My parents generally go to Aldi a fair bit too. Once you know what's good the products can be the same if not better than what you get at Coles or Woolies. It's a bit of a psychological thing I think. People attach negativity to Aldi and want it to taste bad when they eat it. I guess they qualify as a big company too. They also go to Coles a lot and it always costs a fortune.

As for meat they use buy it from allover the place. Myself, I don't shop on my own much but when I do I just go into whatever is nearby. Normally it's Coles or Woolworths.

It's definitely a concern and yet another negative when talking about the serious lack of competition consumers suffer from in this country. Along the lines of Foxtel being the sole cable provider, ISPs having to go through Telstra etc.

We're definitely headed for the American path (surprise, surprise) where these companies own their own massive block of land with a big carpark and no other competition in sight.

Look, I think all we need is another few competitors to enter into the market. The days of local grocers providing the majority of ones shopping seem to be gone. With the population as it is, everything these days is about bulk, and quite frankly these grocers/delis etc surely don't stand a chance.

They also operate in the McDonalds way of doing things. Offer something incredibly cheap for a limited time to bring in the customers, suck them in and then up the prices. You want a cheap bottle of coke? How about you buy 6 for 12?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I shop more at IGA than Woolies or Coles as they're cheaper and being smaller supermarkets they're less crowded with less queues. We don't have Aldi in Perth yet so it's basically either Coles, Woolies or IGA in terms of supermarkets here, I can remember the days when there were about 10 different supermarket chains here but those days have gone.

We're definitely heading towards the US model where Walmart is king, a town I was living in there had a massive Walmart there where pretty much everyone shopped for groceries and other department store type goods. It was like a Coles and K-Mart combined and even had a built in McDonalds if you wanted to stop for a junk food fix mid shop. The prices and service there was great but there was basically no other competition if you wanted some variety.

And let's not even start on their pokies ownership.

We don't have pokies in the wild west (about the only beneficial nanny state law I can think of) but they own an awful lot of pubs.

People blame high wage costs for $12 pints and $30 parmas but that's horseshit. You don't earn that much more pulling pints in Perth than you do in Sydney or Melbourne. Premises leasing costs and Coles & Woollies duopolising the market are much greater factors. Along with red tape and lack of competition.

I worked for Coles from a year 11 student through uni. No real complaints. Worked with plenty of deadshits though, but that's just because lots of teeangers are deadshits. I did a very simple job and relative to what nurses, cops, carers etc. get I was paid very, very well. In an industry which is low skilled and highly labour intensive it's pretty easy to shine. Have half a modicum of common sense/work ethic and get on with your boss and it's a cruisy student job. I got plenty of hours, was able to work around uni lectures etc.

I shop more at IGA than Woolies or Coles as they're cheaper and being smaller supermarkets they're less crowded with less queues. We don't have Aldi in Perth yet so it's basically either Coles, Woolies or IGA in terms of supermarkets here, I can remember the days when there were about 10 different supermarket chains here but those days have gone.

spud shed goes alright. not very convenient locations though.

FWIW, as an ex Coles employee who lived closer to a Coles than a Woollies as a kid I have always been a Coles person.

These days I shop at Woollies more due to living nearer to one but try to avoid them both where possible. I don't have a philosophical objection to their business model as such (I'd rather spend $10 on a steak and see $3 profit go to the farmer who raised the cow and $3 to the shop than 50c to the farmer and $5.50 to the shop for example - but market forces are what they are), I just don't need or want 90% of what they sell.

If I can get a kilo of good quality steak for $20 from Coles and the best a small butcher can do for the same steak is $30 then it's only emotion driving any decision to support the little guy. Business models surviving on emotion don't last - otherwise we'd all still be taking rolls of film down to Kodak for processing. The problem is that it's not the same quality, and more often than not the cost savings on comparable products are minimal if existent.

I live not far from a small market type setup with a butcher, seafood vendor, bakery and large fruit and vege shop with some dry goods, dairy and delicatessen. There is nothing in terms of fresh food I ever need to buy I can't get there. Great quality stuff at prices comparable to Coles and Woollies. The only reason I have for going elsewhere is non-perishables. There are other markets all around Perth, a growing number of Spudshed outlets etc. which offer better value for money on fresh food if you are on a budget. Coles and Woolies continue to thrive because people keep giving them patronage.

I'm also OK with the concept of store-branded goods, but the actual product has to be worth purchasing. I don't want tomato sauce that comes out of the bottle like red salty water. I don't want a $10 toaster which shits itself after one loaf of bread. If Coles can get a comparable quality product to the shelf for less than a supplier then that's good business. If their customers don't want their product, that's poor business. When it comes to pacakaged products (anything from cheese to soft drinks to tuna to biscuits) then store-brand equivalents are often only eating into the profit margins of MNCs anyway.

It would be interesting to see how well Milk would sell, if under each brand etc the gate price was listed. I'm sure most would gladly pay an extra 50c a litre or whatever for a higher gate price knowing its better for the industry and farmers

I stand to be corrected but I recall reading that the milk processors were the ones screwing the dairy farmers.

Farmers sell to processors (Brownes/Masters - WA examples), processors sell to Coles/Woollies. Many small farmers, two large processors - processors hold the power. Two large suppliers, two large retailers - a little bit more even, no doubt collusion on both sides of the fence.

This article (opinion) refers with Coles seeking to deal directly with famers as processing co-ops and get out of dealing with the processors. Invariably this would lead to a link in the chain being removed and Coles trying to screw the farmer co-ops directly but I digress...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ts-milk-strategy/story-e6frg9io-1226616261447

While I am sympathetic to the fact that Colworths are squeezing out local shops, at the same time they are also, relatively speaking, local, and if people want better quality goods, there are quite a number of places to go.

If you move to limit the market share of our big two, then chances are they'll be replaced by foreign supermarkets instead, unless you also limit them (to a very small percentage of market share).

Not a fan of store branded produce.

As for milk:

I stand to be corrected but I recall reading that the milk processors were the ones screwing the dairy farmers.

Farmers sell to processors (Brownes/Masters - WA examples), processors sell to Coles/Woollies. Many small farmers, two large processors - processors hold the power. Two large suppliers, two large retailers - a little bit more even, no doubt collusion on both sides of the fence.

This article (opinion) refers with Coles seeking to deal directly with famers as processing co-ops and get out of dealing with the processors. Invariably this would lead to a link in the chain being removed and Coles trying to screw the farmer co-ops directly but I digress...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ts-milk-strategy/story-e6frg9io-1226616261447

That article is paywall blocked so I cant read it, though yes I would assume there is a middle man, but the pressure came from the top, it wasnt the processors forcing the farmers to sell at such low prices, hoarding the profit and selling to the Coles/Woolies at the normal price. It was a directive from Coles/Woolies in an effort to get milk as cheap as possible.

I'm sure processors, like the farmers, are as much under the thumb as each other when it comes to selling Milk to Coles and Woolies. If they revolted it would be interesting. What would happen to Coles and Woolies if the farmers/processors closed the gate and said enoughs enough. They would obviously cop massive losses and I'm really not sure how many 'no work days' they could sustain (by the sounds of it not many looking at how they buckled to the demands)

If Coles and Woolies had no Milk for week, but all the smaller grocers did, how would that shift the market? It could certainly open peoples eyes to the stores around them for future shopping

But the industry probably doesnt really allow for that kind of scenario anyway

We're definitely heading towards the US model where Walmart is king, a town I was living in there had a massive Walmart there where pretty much everyone shopped for groceries and other department store type goods. It was like a Coles and K-Mart combined and even had a built in McDonalds if you wanted to stop for a junk food fix mid shop. The prices and service there was great but there was basically no other competition if you wanted some variety.
Charlotte?

There was one like that there. Reminded me of K-Mart. Quite amazing but yeah at the same time I don't think I saw anything else nearby in terms of supermarkets. Obviously the South differs a lot from the Northeast so it could just be a South thing?

Speaking of K-Mart, there's a store that has gone to absolute s**t. Maybe I'm not part of their target audience but the whole store now consists of selling bland crap.

I shop at whichever has the better price.

I'm not going to buy anything that isn't on special as I know I'm getting ripped off anyway.

The margins are absolutely massive and you're a dope if you believe otherwise.

It's funny to see how far Homebrand has come over the years. Most products are now identical to their name brand counterparts so why bother buying name brand?

The biggest scam is premium home brand products, essentially doing what the big brands have been doing for a long time. That is putty a fancy package on something adding a word like "deluxe" or "gold" that makes it sound better and selling it for more.

Speaking of K-Mart, there's a store that has gone to absolute s**t. Maybe I'm not part of their target audience but the whole store now consists of selling bland crap.

They've put all their eggs in the store-branded goods basket. Their ads are all centred around $6 t-shirts and $4 coffee mugs etc.

I went into a K-Mart to get a few pairs of Explorer socks and all they had was their own brand equivalent which were of very dubious quality. Walked back out and bought them from Target. People buy products like that for a reason. I don't want 5 pairs of socks for $10, I want one pair of socks that will do the job.

Back