The greatest Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought this article deserved a thread on GF week. Its a great piece of writing about what was an incredible match. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/sep/23/1989-vfl-grand-final-hawthorn-geelong

My personal memory was of living in Melbourne for a few years in the late 80's. I used to go and watch mainly the Blues with some mates who were mad fans. We trekked around from Moorabin to Windy Hill out to that blighted oval in the rain belt which name escapes me. My favourite place to watch was the terraces at Princess Park despite the freezing winds that used to blow through their till I thought I'd die from hypothermia.

On that day though I was working in a little take away down in Albert Park and I had the joint to myself as literally not one customer came in during the game except for a trammie who didn't follow footy. I had the game on the radio and the noise was incredible as were the descriptions of the violence on the field and the incredible heroics of Ablett.

I've watched it a few times since and its still one of the best games I've ever seen.

1984 for me because it was the first one i got to see and to come back like we did after being belted by them the previous year and stopping them from their first back to back was great.

Of course 93 was great beating the enemy with ease.

89 probably was the best GF without a personal stake i'd say.

Wonderful Article in the OP. What an era, what a great time to be alive back then.

1989 was the season I fell in love with the game and for a long time after I was obsessed with footy especially during my teen years.

The Grand Final that year was brutal and exciting, watching it back its amazing the difference in contrast to today's game its almost like a completely different game! and not just on field.

Last edited:
1979, Subiaco Oval, South Fremantle v East Fremantle
1979, Traeger Park, Westies V Pioneers. Westies one grand final loss (the previous year after going unbeaten all season) versus 30 times premier Pioneer. Westies again went in unbeaten.
Final score at the siren 142 v 142. Goal to Westies after the siren from a mark by captain/coach Bill Bennet.
Then in the club rooms another war as the disconsolate Pioneers players ripped down the drywall separating the teams and charged in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1979, Traeger Park, Westies V Pioneers. Westies one grand final loss (the previous year after going unbeaten all season) versus 30 times premier Pioneer. Westies again went in unbeaten.
Final score at the siren 142 v 142. Goal to Westies after the siren from a mark by captain/coach Bill Bennet.
Then in the club rooms another war as the disconsolate Pioneers players ripped down the drywall separating the teams and charged in.
Hahahaha classic!

On that note Bayer, 66 has to be in the top 6 Grand Finals. That 65 to 66 period for St Kilda was like something you'd see in a movie. Battler team loses the final promises to go one better gets beaten by a new foe in the finals but only just, gets another crack beats the old enemy, wins , takes on the new enemy and wins by the skin of their teeth in the dying minutes. Classic

1976 SANFL Grand Final - Sturt (actually it was more Rick Davies singlehandedly) vs Port in front of nearly 67000 at Football Park, closely followed by the '97 AFL Grand Final....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back