Health The Gym

Remove this Banner Ad

The owner of the last gym I was a member of got murdered (was all over the news), I knew the $395 per year membership fee was too good to be true. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of money laundering involved, hence the ridiculously cheap prices. Membership ran out last December so I started shopping around. Had no idea just how many gyms had popped up in my local area of the last couple of years, used free trials at various different places and all up, the trials covered about 2 consecutive months.

The final place I tried was Genesis (14-day free trial), the sales guy kept asking if I was ready to sign-up each day of my trial and I kept telling him 'there's some equipment left that I still have to try'. Eventually, he asked me what they'd need to do to get me to sign-up and I basically said $650 for the year (works out to about $12.50 a week). They accepted the deal, I was pretty happy considering their standard price is around $17 per week for a 12 month membership, including the bullshit admin and joining fees gyms usually charge.

That's the one. It was surreal, cos just a couple of weeks earlier he had told me off for forgetting a towel. Had a bit of a dodgy vibe about him in general.
I met him when I was really young through Camberwell Hockey Club. Apparently he was a decent bloke and well liked…but obviously not by some. A good player in his day too.

Last edited:
Pringles?

208002876_1366468627.jpg

I hate the gym but as a 39 year old man who loves cheese I see it as a necessary evil.

I've cut my hour long session down to 30 mins though. I speed through it and get out of there. Then a 20 min swim and quick spa & steam room if I feel like it. Might be a longer spa session if there are any hot ladiez in there. A couple of times I have been too embarrassed to leave the spa as I have a raging erection sticking out of my $5 kmart swim trunks. Some of the sights you see are quite enticing.

BTW what is with those guys you see EVERY TIME you are at the gym? Do they live there? The ones with the singlets, snapbacks and sleeve tattoos who do a set, then spend the next half an hour chatting to their identically-dressed mate about how they got their latest delivery of 'roids from Thalland or what young 'bishes' they did sex with at the weekend? Or if they don't have a friend on hand, they piss about on their smartphones. I was listening to one overly-muscled boofhead tell his mate that he had got his body fat index down to 5%, and now he was too afraid to go on holiday in case in crept up again. Strewth. They're worse than teenage girls.

I can't understand how anyone can spend more time in the gym than they have to.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are definite body image problems within the young male population. I used to be told that I am too thin etc by some of those meatheads. In reality they were quite insecure. I mean, if you're eating well most of the time and exercising several times a week but still are quite thin then maybe thin is the way you're supposed to look? Don't get me wrong, I like the way the gym affects my appearance and I like gradually increasing my bench and the others, but I always aim for athleticism rather than size and would rather feel than powerful than look powerful.

Girls can't have sex with your athleticism though.

I don't see going to the gym as inherently bad; not all of us have time for sports and you get a bit of a kick out of improving your lifts and putting on a bit on a bit of size in the process, but there's certainly a limit. So many guys I know go on extreme diets and are hungry for 3 or 4 months of the year. I'd rather have that extra 2% of body fat.

Last edited:
The owner of the last gym I was a member of got murdered (was all over the news), I knew the $395 per year membership fee was too good to be true. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of money laundering involved, hence the ridiculously cheap prices.
$395 is cheap? I pay $155 a year at my gym. I don't do classes, but those are included in the price. The sell heaps of supplements (protein powders etc., not steroids) and have lots of PT's which I'd imagine are their high margin lines. As most PT clients stay out of the weights areas I'm happy for them to subsidise my cheap membership.

My gyms $300 a year. Wouldn't surprise me if the owner was up to a bit of mischief, but he's a nice guy.

Gym memberships should be ******* cheap, though. The marginal cost of taking on a new member is effectively zero. If you own a gym in a busy area and have enough space, you're sorted. Just swing the doors open and make sure no one gets crushed.

$395 is cheap? I pay $155 a year at my gym. I don't do classes, but those are included in the price. The sell heaps of supplements (protein powders etc., not steroids) and have lots of PT's which I'd imagine are their high margin lines. As most PT clients stay out of the weights areas I'm happy for them to subsidise my cheap membership.
Being ripped off must be a Melbourne thing, $395 is the cheapest I've been able to find by far within a 20km radius of me. There's a dodgy place in Thomastown (a good 30-40km away) which I've been to a couple of times, it has no memberships and charges $2 per casual session. However it's a hive of steroid dealing and other shady undertakings. If you add in the petrol cost, it doesn't really work out to be that much cheaper, given how far away I live from it.

Girls can't have sex with your athleticism though.

I don't see going to the gym as inherently bad; not all of us have time for sports and you get a bit of a kick out of improving your lifts and putting on a bit on a bit of size in the process, but there's certainly a limit. So many guys I know go on extreme diets and are hungry for 3 or 4 months of the year. I'd rather have that extra 2% of body fat.

I unintentionally found that getting a lot of sleep to be one of the best weight loss methods, far better than starving yourself. Was in Europe over the Dec-Jan holidays, drank a fair amount of beer and ate a fair amount of junk, got home and had gone down from 77kg to 70kg. The only thing I could attribute this to was the 10 odd hours of sleep every night instead of the usual 6-7. Didn't notice any strength loss when I went back to the gym either.

Always better to be well-fed, well-rested and happy than hungry, miserable and dehydrated.

I hate the gym but as a 39 year old man who loves cheese I see it as a necessary evil.

I've cut my hour long session down to 30 mins though. I speed through it and get out of there. Then a 20 min swim and quick spa & steam room if I feel like it. Might be a longer spa session if there are any hot ladiez in there. A couple of times I have been too embarrassed to leave the spa as I have a raging erection sticking out of my $5 kmart swim trunks. Some of the sights you see are quite enticing.

BTW what is with those guys you see EVERY TIME you are at the gym? Do they live there? The ones with the singlets, snapbacks and sleeve tattoos who do a set, then spend the next half an hour chatting to their identically-dressed mate about how they got their latest delivery of 'roids from Thalland or what young 'bishes' they did sex with at the weekend? Or if they don't have a friend on hand, they piss about on their smartphones. I was listening to one overly-muscled boofhead tell his mate that he had got his body fat index down to 5%, and now he was too afraid to go on holiday in case in crept up again. Strewth. They're worse than teenage girls.

I can't understand how anyone can spend more time in the gym than they have to.

which gym do you go to neighbour? Do you go to 405 fitness per-chance?

To be honest i stopped going to the gym a couple of years ago but when i did go i went to that gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back