Health The Gym

Remove this Banner Ad

I unintentionally found that getting a lot of sleep to be one of the best weight loss methods, far better than starving yourself. Was in Europe over the Dec-Jan holidays, drank a fair amount of beer and ate a fair amount of junk, got home and had gone down from 77kg to 70kg. The only thing I could attribute this to was the 10 odd hours of sleep every night instead of the usual 6-7. Didn't notice any strength loss when I went back to the gym either.

Always better to be well-fed, well-rested and happy than hungry, miserable and dehydrated.
Yeh I have mates that used to rave about that $2 place in Thomastown in Year 12. Considering I didn't have my license at that point, I don't think my mum would have wanted to drive me down there for a good 30+min most days. Even now, it would take too much time getting there

Joined a gym once. It was the single most boringly mind numbing experience of my life. Luckily it had a swimming pool and a sauna, and for the final 6 months of my contract, all I did was swim in the pool and use the sauna. Didn't renew, I've got better things to do with my time.
Swimming, aside from footy and soccer, is the only exercise I genuinely enjoy. Maybe it's got to do with swimming all the time as a kid in WA, but there's something really relaxing about it. Despite being genetically pretty thin and not at all worried about muscle or anything, it genuinely builds just about everything. Good fun.

The only gym I've joined was a Fitness First gym when I was living in London, it was mainly to use their running treadmills in winter when it's too dark, cold and wet to run outside. You don't really have that problem in Perth where the weather is pretty good all year round..

I can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was pretty good value if you used it regularly, it was a brand new gym so had all the latest gear. It also had a video library where you could borrow videos for free, pretty shitty selection of videos though and no new releases.

70kgs? How tall are you?

There are definite body image problems within the young male population. I used to be told that I am too thin etc by some of those meatheads. In reality they were quite insecure. I mean, if you're eating well most of the time and exercising several times a week but still are quite thin then maybe thin is the way you're supposed to look? Don't get me wrong, I like the way the gym affects my appearance and I like gradually increasing my bench and the others, but I always aim for athleticism rather than size and would rather feel than powerful than look powerful.
They're the male equivalent of those chicks who take selfies and then wait for their social media 'friends' to comment or like. The sad thing is most of these guys probably couldn't even run a couple of km without stopping for a breather. Heard one of them had a heart-attack in a sauna and he was only 23 or so.

Last edited:
How long did it take you guys to bench 100 kg's for a single rep?

I reckon I could probably do about 70-75kgs atm.
About 18 months. Starting a long way behind, 62ish kilos and 185cm.

How come it's always the bench press that is seen as the marker of gym prowess?

Why not the cable forward tricep extension? <-(I am the king of this particular exercise)

How come it's always the bench press that is seen as the marker of gym prowess?

Why not the cable forward tricep extension? <-(I am the king of this particular exercise)
I thought dead lifts were the marker? Dead lifts and bench press are compound lifts. That is probably why.

I can deadlift about 130 and squat 110 or so for 1 rep - My chest is miles behind though.

I can even barbell row 70kg's for a few reps.

I've done resistance training on and off since back in late high school but didn't really get serious and regular with it till around 3 years ago. I've never done a proper 1-rep-max test, but the first time I did 100 kg was early last year as part of a 5 rep set. Haven't tried doing 100 kg again after changing gym, due to the lack of a mate to spot, and I don't really trust the tribal-tattoo set to spot me properly :p.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought dead lifts were the marker? Dead lifts and bench press are compound lifts. That is probably why.
Ja compounds are king.
I tend to use dumbells for bench more, works the stabilisers and it tends to save my shoulders as well.
FWIW many moons ago the military press was a common comparative exercise, seems to be well out of fashion now.

Personally I prefer chins as a marker of overall progress, both volume and how many weighted (either holding a dumbell with feet or using a plate with a weightbelt & chain attached).

I don't struggle to find motivation to go to the gym or spend 1-2 hours in there at a time, so for me its "strange" to understand why people can't find motivation or condense their work outs from 60 mins too 30 mins, or 30 mins to 20 mins. During footy off season i can train 7 days a week or now that i have switched to a 24/7 gym i could train twice a day 6 days a week. As i said i just switched gyms, i went from $23 a week which did include pool, saunas, classes. The new gym i joined is a Anytime Fitness, $0 joining fee and $9.95 per week.

I mostly train by myself, don't take my phone in just an Ipod. I get in there, focus and work out. No nonsense, no posing, no grunting.

The gym has really turned into a wankfest these days

Was told by a mate that was doing a saturday night workout as he had nothing to do that 4 wogs walked into the gym like they were going out

They spent 15 minutes in the gym did arms still in cloths to go out with and then jumped back in the cab that had been waiting for them

There are definite body image problems within the young male population. I used to be told that I am too thin etc by some of those meatheads. In reality they were quite insecure. I mean, if you're eating well most of the time and exercising several times a week but still are quite thin then maybe thin is the way you're supposed to look? Don't get me wrong, I like the way the gym affects my appearance and I like gradually increasing my bench and the others, but I always aim for athleticism rather than size and would rather feel than powerful than look powerful.

Yeah, I've lost count of the guys who looks bigger than me but aren't even half as strong.

The looks they have when they see a lean guy lift way more than them is funny.

After a year of proper training I'm doing 80kg for 3x5. Could maybe extrapolate that to a 90 or so for one rep? I've never tried. But I've been training properly for about a year.

I was mates with a guy who would have been about 190cm and weighed 55kg. Deadset skinniest bloke I have ever met. Ate really unhealthily and weight gaining protein bars as well but nothing changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back