Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

DapperDon
Jade
BrunoV

I know it's only Little Creatures but their stout, Return of the Dread, is a beauty. Try it if you haven't.

Funny, I'm all over their Pale Ale at the moment. It was the best option at a recent wedding and I could not get enough (which is unusual because I usually find it to be too floral). Dont mind the Steam Ale either.

Have not seen their stout but I will keep a look out for it. I need a quality stout that is not the three course meal that it Coopers Extra Stout.

Don't know if many of you are based in the Richmond area but the Royston has some quality craft beers on tap (none of which I'd ever seen before). Interesting session to be had, that's for sure.

Funny, I'm all over their Pale Ale at the moment. It was the best option at a recent wedding and I could not get enough (which is unusual because I usually find it to be too floral). Dont mind the Steam Ale either.

Have not seen their stout but I will keep a look out for it. I need a quality stout that is not the three course meal that it Coopers Extra Stout.

Don't know if many of you are based in the Richmond area but the Royston has some quality craft beers on tap (none of which I'd ever seen before). Interesting session to be had, that's for sure.

I'm with you. Right into the pale ale right now not that i was ever into the main stream bitters. Used to always drink Carlton Draught and Carlton Cold or Hahn Light got a run for a while.Tooheys Extra Dry has been a main stay in recent years. Still do not mind the Extra Dry but the Pale Ales are winning right now.

That's the idea. It's not alone in that category though...

West End
Swan
Emu
VB
Carlton

All are filthy assaults on decent standards of beer.

West End, the muddy water beer .

All depends on what era you come from. Not a lot of choice back when i was drinking age (14 :D) and you did knock anything you where given.
Always drank Carlton if i could or Tooheys . Never been a VB man and maybe because of the average beers in the early 80's it was why i always had a couple of pots before moving onto spirits :D
The choice we have had in the last 15 years or so has improved out of sight. Now i would not use Carlton to water my lawn.

This week on Beers of Asia, Myanmar.

But first, a slight digression. I'm not sure how I felt about India. Kingfisher was everywhere, which isn't a bad thing, but quite often (and particularly in cheaper places) it was the 8% Kingfisher Extra Strong, because it's cheaper than Export/Premium, but in half-litre cans is wildly unnecessary - particularly for 50kg travelling companions. I caught sight of canned Kingfisher Draught once at an inopportune moment, but otherwise literally the only other local option was Haywards 5000 - also 8%. Disappointing, given the imperial heritage and the drinking habits of the locals.

So, Myanmar is a pleasant surprise, with quite a few local brews on offer. The best option is the eponymous Myanmar, a crisp but full-bodied lager brewed by the Burmese Army, that reminds me of Tiger. Regal 7 and Dagon are passable if a little dull, while Andaman Gold is total dishwater. There's also a local stout that I'm yet to try, Black Shield, as it's not exactly climate appropriate. The most interesting though is Yoma (Slogan: "Cool Beer, Calm Time"), apparently a recent introduction, which tastes more like rice than any other rice-based beer (Tsingtao or Beerlao, for example) I've tried.

zSF8y.jpg

I'm told there are more options up-country too, so will see what I can find in Bagan and Mandalay. Oh, and you naturally get change from your dollar.

Last edited:
Also:

IMG_3875.JPG

That, my friends, is an 18.4% beer. The strongest beer I've ever had, I am pretty sure. And it's rather delicious; although at 5.4 standard drinks, fair to say I'll be sticking to one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine it was always available in Adelaide, but in my time away from Melbourne Coopers Mild has very much become a thing, and I thoroughly approve.
Great beer- full flavour but because of the mid strength, you can just keep going all day.

Three Victorian High Country breweries well worth seeking out (but good luck finding them outside the region)

Bright Brewery (Bright, would you believe)
Sweetwater (Mount Beauty)
Strathbogie Brewing Company (Euroa-Strathbogie)

Sensational.

Three Victorian High Country breweries well worth seeking out (but good luck finding them outside the region)

Bright Brewery (Bright, would you believe)
Sweetwater (Mount Beauty)
Strathbogie Brewing Company (Euroa-Strathbogie)

Sensational.
the Bright Brewery beers used to be available at Transport at fed square a few years back, no idea if they still are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back