Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the point of playing Henriques btw? If you don't want t play Doherty, why not throw Agar in there? There is literally no point playing 5 seamers.

There wasn't any point. It was a stupid decision to pick him, given they are already too many all-rounders in the WC squad. With that said, they thankfully used Faulkner ahead of him with bat and bowl. And he obviously did fairly well with the ball anyway. I wonder how Henriques feels though, he sorta had other games to play too......

Anyway, today I was watching our 2nd XI, and the opposition had a bloke bowling with his arm closer to 90 degrees than 15. His arm was literally like _l

Anyway, today I was watching our 2nd XI, and the opposition had a bloke bowling with his arm closer to 90 degrees than 15. His arm was literally like _l

Speaking of results, witnessed a bloke take 8 - fa in what was typical Glenn McGrath corridor bowling. Chasing 153 for victory, we cruised to 1 - 76 before 2nd change came on and bowled 17 overs straight as we just capitulated in what was impatient batting and was bowled out losing by a solitary run.

We did manage some grace by taking 3 - 6 in the second innings (we stupidly have to play till 5 in the second week despite having next to no chance of an extra result) to aid our already strong percentage.

Turns out second place also lost and we retain top spot on the ladder with 2 games to go.

What was the point of playing Henriques btw? If you don't want t play Doherty, why not throw Agar in there? There is literally no point playing 5 seamers.
There wasn't any point. It was a stupid decision to pick him, given they are already too many all-rounders in the WC squad. With that said, they thankfully used Faulkner ahead of him with bat and bowl. And he obviously did fairly well with the ball anyway. I wonder how Henriques feels though, he sorta had other games to play too......

Out of curiosity, who is our next ODI batsmen? Think it's been wittled down to 4 possibilities.

Peter Handscomb, Chris Lynn, Travis Head or Nic Maddinson.

Out of curiosity, who is our next ODI batsmen? Think it's been wittled down to 4 possibilities.

Outside of Warner, Watson, Finch, Clarke, Bailey, Smith, M Marsh, Maxwell and Faulkner? Proably S Marsh and White, followed by Lynn. Handscomb had a poor OD series, Head and Maddinson aren't quite there in that format either.

Outside of Warner, Watson, Finch, Clarke, Bailey, Smith, M Marsh, Maxwell and Faulkner? Proably S Marsh and White, followed by Lynn. Handscomb had a poor OD series, Head and Maddinson aren't quite there in that format either.

I was reffering to the next wave of batsmen who are coming through.

Handscomb since the Matadors is averaging 90+ in the shield and completely obliterated the Scorchers last week in his first game back from injury.

I mention these young guys because we are going to go through a transitional stage in the next 18 months.

I was reffering to the next wave of batsmen who are coming through.

Handscomb since the Matadors is averaging 90+ in the shield and completely obliterated the Scorchers last week in his first game back from injury.

I mention these young guys because we are going to go through a transitional stage in the next 18 months.
It was his second, but I digress. If we're going the transition I'd say it'll be:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Lynn
M Marsh
Maxwell
Faulkner
Whiteman
Starc
Cummins
Behrendorff

Handscomb, Maddinson, Coulter-Nile and Agar in the squad.

Think that T20 is definitely helping a certain type of batsman, being the less aggressive, more traditional type of first class player (though I'm not convinced it does much for a guy who is already aggressive - Maddinson for example just goes far to hard at everything).

I'd never been impressed with what I had seen of Handscombe or Silk as international prospects because neither looked capable of scoring fluently (despite both clearly being able to play). That added attacking capability definitely makes them more rounded players.

Head is an impressive little player.

I really like Lynn against pace but he does seem a little suspect against spin.

Think that T20 is definitely helping a certain type of batsman, being the less aggressive, more traditional type of first class player (though I'm not convinced it does much for a guy who is already aggressive - Maddinson for example just goes far to hard at everything).

I'd never been impressed with what I had seen of Handscombe or Silk as international prospects because neither looked capable of scoring fluently (despite both clearly being able to play). That added attacking capability definitely makes them more rounded players.

Huh, Lynn's ability against spin is one his big strengths in FC cricket. Handscomb's always been a fluent player, especially against spin bowling. His technique early vs the new ball is a little suspect though.

Is it wrong of me to be enjoying the Sydney washout given international cricket has been played on Australia Day in Adelaide for so bloody long yet was taken this year for no reason whatsoever?

Yet another rainless Australia Day over here so suffer in ya jocks Cricket Australia.

Obviously I'm going off T20 cricket since its on TV, Handscomb has the runs on the board (no pun) in the shield season.

Handscomb's technique can't be all that bad if Victoria opened him up for a little while eth-dog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh, Lynn's ability against spin is one his big strengths in FC cricket. Handscomb's always been a fluent player, especially against spin bowling. His technique early vs the new ball is a little suspect though.

In that lean patch he had in the Big Bash this year he was struggling against spin.

Is it wrong of me to be enjoying the Sydney washout given international cricket has been played on Australia Day in Adelaide for so bloody long yet was taken this year for no reason whatsoever?

Yet another rainless Australia Day over here so suffer in ya jocks Cricket Australia.
I was also happy about that. It was as if God was punishing CA for taking it away from Adelaide.
Obviously I'm going off T20 cricket since its on TV, Handscomb has the runs on the board (no pun) in the shield season.

Handscomb's technique can't be all that bad if Victoria opened him up for a little while eth-dog
Handscomb opening the batting was a terrible decision. Victoria's decision making for the past 20 years can be heavily criticised, especially in regards to him. His use of the crease and footwork to spin is as good as S. Smith's, but he struggles against the new pill first up.

All in all, I wouldn't use CV as a model of what to do. CV and SACA are clearly the most inferior state organisations in Australia. CWA, CNSW and QC clearly the best, CT somewhere in between.
In that lean patch he had in the Big Bash this year he was struggling against spin.
I didn't watch much of Brisbane but he's a better player of spin than pace against the red ball for whatever reason.

Michael Clarke missing the World Cup opener (and a very important game against one of the big guns, given the potential ramifications of not topping the group) due to returning from a serious injury.

Shane Watson still not fit less than 2 weeks from the opener.

George Bailey out of form and no clue as to whether he is playing the next game, yet when he plays he is captain.

Shaun Marsh is only ever a tight single away from being out of the tournament. In great form though, admittedly.

It is fair to say that I have a few concerns about Australia's squad selection and World Cup build-up.

also warner's footwork in od cricket often looks a bit weird so it's nice to see taylor focusing in on that

Yeah agreed. This pitch does look far better than Friday's one so they can't be constantly looking at the pitch as the reason for their dismissals. The variable bounce that badged MS Dhoni the other night and also got him LBW a couple of balls later should only be seen on day 5 Test pitches and never in ODIs.

Been a big advocate of South Africa (despite lacking a genuine 6th bowling option). All the stars seem to be aligning for New Zealand to come from the clouds at home and win the tournament.

Any smokies we like? Pakistan perhaps? India?

Still expect Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan to make the final 4

Been a big advocate of South Africa (despite lacking a genuine 6th bowling option). All the stars seem to be aligning for New Zealand to come from the clouds at home and win the tournament.

Any smokies we like? Pakistan perhaps? India?

Still expect Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan to make the final 4
Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Tahir is a good enough attack, with Duminy and Behardien too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back