Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Not overly keen on Behardien as an all rounder. Bowl de villiers and play Parnell as a bowling all rounder. The top order should regularly get 250+
Behardien is an okay all rounder.You can combine he and Duminy for 10 comfortably.

The better option wasn't re - signed for this season. Who else could do it?
McDonald for the rest of the season and offer it to Quiney for 2-3 years so as to avoid another Cameron White situation.

SACA. Appointing Travis Head as captain. Will ruin his career much like it did White's career.
Well given Klinger is now playing for WA (and we replaced him with Cossie), it irks me no end we got Botha.

But that is not a delusional pearler as Head has a lot of talent and could be a very good leader.

However, the SACA are delusional - yes they are.

Well given Klinger is now playing for WA (and we replaced him with Cossie), it irks me no end we got Botha.

But that is not a delusional pearler as Head has a lot of talent and could be a very good leader.

However, the SACA are delusional - yes they are.
Botha was a good appointment. If you replaced Klinger with Quiney it would have been a much smarter decision, would be the perfect choice to take over right now. McDonald would have been a good choice for the rest of the season and then recruit Quiney next year (given that McDonald will likely retire given he'll be coaching next English season).

Wasn't the problem with White that he was a leg spinner?
No, he was always a batsman first. Much like S. Smith. Difference is that Victoria decided to give him captaincy way too early and it ended up ruining a potentially good test batsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he was always a batsman first. Much like S. Smith. Difference is that Victoria decided to give him captaincy way too early and it ended up ruining a potentially good test batsman.

Where did he bat as a junior and in his first years?

He thrived with the captaincy which probably gave him a gig half the time because he was such a mediocre bat.

Where did he bat as a junior and in his first years?

He thrived with the captaincy which probably gave him a gig half the time because he was such a mediocre bat.
Middle order I'm pretty sure. He was a good captain but it stunted his development, if it didn't he'd be batting at 5 in the test team right now.

If the story was the same and he batted like Shaun Marsh (in terms of fluency rather than the grit and quality of performance) instead of scratching around and being massively found out in international cricket I could agree.

I just don't see the player who averages 50 without the weight of captaincy which is basically what it would take for him to be in the team.

Edit: Actually for all of the recent consistency White average 40, 4 whole more runs an innings than Marsh does in first class cricket with about 50 more matches under his belt (and Marsh seemingly having gotten himself under control off field which has always been the problem).

I initially thought of Marsh because I'd have him as one of the most naturally gifted batsmen in Australia if not at the top of the tree and you could mount an argument that he's similarly had "issues" that have prevented him from fulfilling his potential (though his were off his own making and unprofessional).

It's now become a comparison for me that puts it all into context. Neither player has a record that warrants test selection. I have no problem with selectors taking the better player over the player with the better record.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back