Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Beyond appalling. I just mute it and listen to the radio.

Read this article, if you haven't already. Found myself nodding in agreement with every single sentence.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy
Oh, I've read that. Several times. It absolutely hits the nail on the head in every way.

Brad McNamara (and yes I hope you get an email alert for this mention, being the narcissist you obviously are), pull your head in.

Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Oh, I've read that. Several times. It absolutely hits the nail on the head in every way.

Brad McNamara (and yes I hope you get an email alert for this mention, being the narcissist you obviously are), pull your head in.

My favourite line from that article:

"Let’s be honest – Nine’s cricket coverage has never been a place where genius came to joust."

Ouch!

Also, he was obviously throwing the gauntlet down to McNamara, but he seemingly didn't bite...

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
He's just boring. He takes 10 minutes to explain a point that could have been done in 1 and he talks far too much about the old days and not about the new game. Pretty much all of the channel 9 team is terrible except Mark Nicholas.
Don't mind hearing stories about the old days, but Chappelli's ones are generally boring as bat s**t. That said, none of the new age s**t is an better.
Welp, I'd still rather hear about the old days than about Shane Warne telling 'strayans to drink beer at the barbie or his Tinder escapades. Or just the general drivel that flows from the mouth of the other three most of the time.
What about those Dirty Rotten pizzas?

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I've literally never heard you express your dislike of Chappell before.

I don't mind people having their opinions, but give me one logical reason beyond "he's a flog" why he is worse than Brayshaw. Or Healy. Or Slater. Or Warne.

The commentary team on Ch. 9 is appalling.

Chappelli knows his stuff like few others. Whether people choose to like him as a person or not.

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Chappelli knows his stuff like few others. Whether people choose to like him as a person or not.

And when he goes on about cricket being better in his day, that's because it's true!

Impressive by the Windies to tough out that series. They are a young team far from the finished article, but they have a bit of ticker, as Shiv had a shocker of a series which left it to the younger players to take turns stepping up. And that they did.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Chappelli's always been the boring one. Go back and listen to The 12th Man (again...) and listen to how they portray him. Yes it's a piss take but Billy Birmingham played to the strengths or lackthereof of the personalities in the box.

I find it sad that he's the best commentator at 9, and ABC is going to be poorer without Morphett especially in light of O'Keefe leaving 12 months prior.

I feel old. All the commentators from my childhood/youth are on the way out. Heaven forbid when Jim Maxwell gives it away.

Chappelli's always been the boring one. Go back and listen to The 12th Man (again...) and listen to how they portray him. Yes it's a piss take but Billy Birmingham played to the strengths or lackthereof of the personalities in the box.

I find it sad that he's the best commentator at 9, and ABC is going to be poorer without Morphett especially in light of O'Keefe leaving 12 months prior.

I feel old. All the commentators from my childhood/youth are on the way out. Heaven forbid when Jim Maxwell gives it away.
Mark Nicholas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ian Chappell.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Mark Nicholas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ian Chappell.

Duly noted, and my mistake

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
I've literally never heard you express your dislike of Chappell before.

I don't mind people having their opinions, but give me one logical reason beyond "he's a flog" why he is worse than Brayshaw. Or Healy. Or Slater. Or Warne.

The commentary team on Ch. 9 is appalling.
9 just need to employ Rameez Raja for when India-lite come to visit. Then we can confirm they're taking the piss.

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes

ABC are barely recognisable now, too. Roebuck, Mitchell, O'Keefe and Morphett have all left. Roebuck was an odd-ball but I thought he was a highly proficient commentator.

Not really.

Mark Nicholas is all polish and I don't dislike him, but I reckon he uses a fair bit of puff to make it appear he is saying something much more meaningful than he actually is.

I don't dislike him by any means, but he's decent and no more. Not >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or anything similar.

Not really.

Mark Nicholas is all polish and I don't dislike him, but I reckon he uses a fair bit of puff to make it appear he is saying something much more meaningful than he actually is.

I don't dislike him by any means, but he's decent and no more. Not >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or anything similar.
He's a good commentator. Ian Chappell isn't. So yes, he is.

And when he goes on about cricket being better in his day, that's because it's true!

Impressive by the Windies to tough out that series. They are a young team far from the finished article, but they have a bit of ticker, as Shiv had a shocker of a series which left it to the younger players to take turns stepping up. And that they did.
And their best bowler, Roach, didn't play in the winning Test. It's an impressive victory against the run of play in anyone's language.

Back