Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have Starc ahead of Hazelwood, quite easily too.
I wouldn't. Hazlewood has a much better FC record and is better for the attack alongside Johnson and Harris.

Let's break down their FC games (excluding tests):

Hazlewood: 95 wickets in 28 games @ 25 and a SR of 52, econ rate of 2.89
Starc: 87 wickets in 30 games @ 29 and a SR of 52, econ rate of 3.37
It's almost like I was talking about recent form or something.
Starc has been in great form recently, especially in the ODIs. But overall, as Eth said, Hazlewood is a better more consistent bowler. That said, Starc can bowl some unplayable swinging super quick deliveries, making him very dangerous.

I guess it's like how Mitchell Johnson is the star, but Ryan Harris is the better bowler (IMO).

Yeah, I can probably agree with that.

It'd be genuinely interesting to see what would have been done had Harris been fit for this series. Not that it matters, he ain't. Just as a hypothetical.

watto.png

1) - He's scored more test runs in the past year than all the batsman from Afghanistan, Ireland and the UAE, and Chris Martin combined.

2) - He has nearly as many test centuries as Marcus North

3) - He hasn't been injured in weeks

4) - He was in pretty good form five or six years ago

5) - He kind of looks like Jaime Lannister (and bats like he sword fights from the third book), and he's played for Tasmania

6) - He tries hard, and has even started doing his homework

7) - A lot people point out that he doesn't take a lot of ODI wickets. This is unfair, as he also doesn't take a lot of test wickets. Also, his role in ODI's is to be economical rather than take wickets, and in the last two years the only Australian bowlers to have a better ODI economy rate than Watson are Johnson, Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, Doherty, Faulkner, Marsh, Hazlewood, Smith, Maxwell and probably a few others.

8) - He seems as likeable and articulate as David Warner, and he doesn't assault lesbians

9) - He has all the foundations of a world class allrounder, and soon he's going to hit his peak. I know people have been saying that for ten years, but this year it's totally true.

10) - He has previously captained the side, and seems the obvious choice for captain in all formats once they finally drop Steve Smith

11) - He scores runs when the team's under pressure. Several of them.

12) - He's batting is constantly improving.
Early in his career he would get out bowled quite often. After a few years, he worked out you can block the stumps with your legs, unfortunately, he started getting a lot of LBWs. Then he worked out if you use the wooden thing in your hands, you can't get LBW. Unfortunately, sometimes the ball flies off that and goes into a fielder's hands. But wait until he works out you can hit the ball into the ground. He will be unstoppable.

13) - He has incriminating photos of the selectors, I assume
And finally, the biggest, strongest argument for keeping Shane Watson in the team:

14) - If he got dropped now he'll probably retire and become Channel Nine's new top commentator

Early in his career he would get out bowled quite often. After a few years, he worked out you can block the stumps with your legs, unfortunately, he started getting a lot of LBWs. Then he worked out if you use the wooden thing in your hands, you can't get LBW. Unfortunately, sometimes the ball flies off that and goes into a fielder's hands. But wait until he works out you can hit the ball into the ground. He will be unstoppable.
lol

1. Why is Ryder listed in at 8?
2. Why isn't Foakes playing for Essex? Bloke's a freakin gun.
3. Johnson/Starc/Hazlewood looks likely for first test with Harris not fit.

Check into the tour match score card and Jesse ******* Ryder's taken the new ball for Essex.

Warner hits another run a ball half century and Voges is in (11n.o).

107/2 (22.4)
Don't know much about most of the County sides, but apparently Essex are playing their weakest bowling line up, which must be why Jesse ****ing Ryder is one of their main bowlers. :$

Don't know much about most of the County sides, but apparently Essex are playing their weakest bowling line up, which must be why Jesse ****ing Ryder is one of their main bowlers. :$
Yep. Porter is a gun, but they're missing Topley, Masters, Napier, Panesar and Smith as potential first team bowlers.

Their best XI is somewhat akin to:

Cook, Mickleburgh, Bopara, ten Doeschate, Ryder, Napier, Foster, Smith, Panesar, Masters, Topley

They have a shitload of allrounders. Unsure why Ryder is their international, would be much better served with a better opening batsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the great few years Ryan Harris.

Only 27 tests, but there were some really quality match winning efforts.
I remember him from ~2002-2005 in ING Cup games for South Australia and he was fat and all over the shop at medium pace. One of the few bowlers to dramatically improve in quality and pace over their career

Cummins has said he's test ready.

No, you're not Patrick. You haven't played a First Class game in nearly 2 years and bringing you into the squad is a big mistake.

I didn't want him in the WC squad. He should have been playing the last 5 games for NSW instead of two token ODI's that were no benefit to him or Australia.

I remember him from ~2002-2005 in ING Cup games for South Australia and he was fat and all over the shop at medium pace. One of the few bowlers to dramatically improve in quality and pace over their career

I had to check this new guy that could bowl was actually the same guy that used to be so average.

Credit to him. He and Watson are 2 prime examples of finishing in vastly different form to the way they started.

Haddin's batting average since the last Ashes series in Australia is 15.33. 230 runs in 12 matches across 4 series. Tailenders do better than that. Given this shocking run of form, his keeping would have to absolute top notch to justify his spot. Another expensive drop like that in this series and questions will have to be asked about his spot, like they are about Rogers if he goes so much as a single Test and not make runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back