Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got this theory....

Say before the series starts England looks at their young squad and their capabilities... and say OK we may be a 40% chance of winning this series.

So they say Ok how can we raise that percentage.

What if we prepare 5 dead pitches - and work off winning the toss, win the toss, win the match.

Only one team in 3 series has won a test batting second.

So that then changes it to 50% .. already better!

Could that be a successful strategy? just preparing dead pitches and hoping on the coin toss?

So now they win the first test - now we can factor in weather on pressure on the opposition, playing for Draw.. reckon they are now at 60%

Gone from 40% probablitly of series win to 60% on my (somewhat ridiculous scale)

But it has its failings.. they lose the toss and Australia win the second test.. back to 50% - the coin toss strategy.

live by it die by it.

All home sides ask for decks that give them a leg up. Since we have Mitchell Johnson and they don't, they asked for slow, dead pitches to nullify his pace/bounce.

It could backfire royally in this match given the variable bounce already. Fast forward to day 5 and some length balls will struggle to get above ankle height at this rate.

Yep. It wont make a difference for someone like Starc who does his best work in the air.
Johnson, Hazlewood and Lyon will be menaces on day 5.

tumblr_m8jxpvTujg1r9652ro1_400.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All home sides ask for decks that give them a leg up. Since we have Mitchell Johnson and they don't, they asked for slow, dead pitches to nullify his pace/bounce.

It's almost like they've forgotten they've got a couple of very good bowlers in Broad and Anderson. Broad can be nasty when he gets his tail up.

It's almost like they've forgotten they've got a couple of very good bowlers in Broad and Anderson. Broad can be nasty when he gets his tail up.

The bowlers cause isn't helped when Cook goes ultra defensive or ultra reactive when things start to turn against them (let alone when things are going completely against them).

Also who's decision (Broad or Cook) was it when Broad alternated over/around the wicket each ball for an entire over in the first dig to Rogers? It smacked of desperation and if I were batting, I would've taken it as a massive sign that the opposition are a bit rattled.

I know alot of peoplpe dont like Ian chappell but i respect him, he is and always has been his own man - bows to nobody and is a noble (enough) creature.

I'll deal with the tiresome anecdotes and repetitive calls if i know its coming from a place thats 100% real.

I was surprised we opted to bat when the pitch had a little grass on it and decent pace, and overcast conditions were forecast for the day with the next couple of days supposedly being a bit brighter, plus our bowlers had their backs up and England would've had a defensive mindset based on both batting conditions and the 2nd test hangover.

Anderson was making the ball talk and like every time we come up against quality swing, we appeared clueless. It was seriously impressive bowling by him. Finn bowled like I haven't seen from him before and Broad was decent. 36 overs is all it took to run through us, thank christ for Rogers.

Now England well and truly have their tails up and of recent times they've been very good front runners. A draw isn't an option when looking at the forecast and considering England are going to hit the front 1 or 2 overs in to day 2 we need to bowl very well (which we don't appear to have done so far this test) and bat brilliantly in the 2nd innings.

I went to bed when Johnson got out and was honestly surprised to see we'd made 136 when I got up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back