Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Windies count?
It's now gone into cricket obscurity, but if it wasn't for the brilliance of Gilchrist and Ponting, they would have beaten us in 2006 in Fatullah.

Bangladesh are still failing to perform consistently at Test level; however pieces of the puzzle have come together. With Australia being dreadful against spin and consistently failing away from home this is a prime opportunity for Bangladesh. If we played an ODI series I think it'd be relatively even.

So Ed Cowan thinks that 'obviously' Shaun Marsh keeps his spot as the selectors see him as 'the future'.

There's a thread on this board for statements like this...
Sounds like a subtle dig at Cricket Australia for refusing to pick him but picking Marsh who's only a year younger.

I never liked Clarke primarily because he never did anything to deserve sitting at 5 and 6 in what was one of the most powerful teams in history where he never made runs unless the going was good (5 and 6 really being there to dig the top order out of trouble not to cash in on the top order dominance), I think the stat was that he only made centuries in scores of 500+ for his first 60 odd tests, and his position was not questioned when it should have been.

He was symbolic of Cricket Australia's self-fulfilling selection criteria which put the silver spoon in his mouth. I don't accept for a second that there is not 5 to 6 batsmen in every era who would have successful careers if given the opportunities Clarke was given and I am bitter for guys like Hodge that they did not get the opportunity.

On thing you can't argue with, though, is that he was ridiculously good from the moment he took the captaincy. I found it disgusting that there were already murmurs during the India tour last summer that he should stand aside for Smith and, ever more so, now that he has announced his retirement that people formerly or currently involved with CA have been willing to sink the boots into him. To me it exposes the "Baggy Green culture" for what it is, backstabbing, entitled, immature and, frankly, embarrassing.

Last edited:
i for one am glad his true colours are coming out...

Haydos saying he said he'd rather give his baggy green back that field at short leg? Please!

silver spoon right there...
Wait, Hayden said that Clarke said that?

Either way, Clarke was amazing in the gully so that doesn't bother me.

MATTHEW Hayden has made the stunning revelation that Michael Clarke once threatened to hand his baggy green cap back if he was forced to field at bat-pad.
The Queensland cricket legend was giving an insight into how the retiring Test skipper has polarised teammates and the public.
“I’ll never forget the day that Justin Langer couldn’t go bat-pad because he had head injuries,’’ Hayden said on Triple M Brisbane.
“We needed someone and usually it goes to the youngest in the side.
”He (Clarke) said – “If I have to wear that, I will hand my baggy green back.”

”The thing is it’s an indictment on Michael. But it’s in context of this conversation to say that he knew that he didn’t want to do that, he was skilful in other places.
”But in hindsight we should have said mate that’s exactly what will happen, we will have your baggy green back and that’s the way it will roll.
“But he learnt from that, he became a much better person and a much better player through those lessons.’’

Hayden said Clarke often ruffled his feathers and polarised Australian teammates.
“He would polarise people … the team is a reflection of people in society it’s no different,’’ Hayden said.
“Michael always had really strong opinions and when you’ve got strong opinions and you’re a young fella in the group, he would polarise people.
“He had a hot head, he wore his heart on his sleeve and he had a very definite opinion of who he was and where he wanted to go.
“Sometimes those (Clarke’s opinions) ruffled feathers, I know for a fact that they ruffled mine at times.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a little bit of holier-than-thou with Hayden since he retired. Great player from a dominant era, but that alone shouldn't make you a moral beacon just because you're viewed as a 'great Aussie bloke'. And I've not been a huge fan of Clarke always, but that is one thing that has bugged me recently.

Look great batsman, great leader? Not for us to say, we are not in the innersanctum.

All.we have are results and the weight of anecdotes now rolling in, are they all sour grapes? Can we build a case asada style off all.this circumstantial evidence?

Who was there as captain if it wasn't him?

If you search your instinct the answer will probably present itself but again, will never know.

His legacy of runs on the board is second to not many. What's he remembered for, it? Or other things?

Last edited:
This is damning by Buchanan... almost defamitory!

“Players like Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting and others really tried to make the `Baggy Green’ culture something special, but I could sense it was under threat and under Michael’s captaincy I can sense it has disappeared a bit and that disappointed me,”
“I can remember guys like Hayden and (Justin) Langer sitting him down in a corner and trying to get him to understand what we were trying to achieve. “There were times when I felt Michael did not understand or did not want to understand.”

its funny cause Warne always had bad things to say about Buchanan, Warne and clarke are thick as theives, it does point to a divided changeroom at somepoint...

warne fire back...

Warne was not happy with Buchanan’s comments, to put it lightly.
“It’s an absolute joke, really. Guys like John Buchanan trying to do cheap shots and say that he’s let [down] the culture of the baggy green. Give us a break, mate. Are you for real?” Warne said on Today this morning.
It got better.
“This bloke had no idea about the game of cricket, John Buchanan.
“He never played the game, doesn’t know what the players go through. And suddenly he’s saying he wrecked the culture of the baggy green.
“I mean that is just a disgraceful comment from someone who had no idea about the game of cricket.
“I mean come on you absolute tall so and so.”

So, Victoria seem to have gone back to their "let's bowl pies" phase by letting Scott Henry score a ton... Fawad Ahmed was bowling absolute trash.

In the last hour of play at Adelaide, 5 wickets fell for 9 runs between the end of the NSW innings and the early part of the SA innings. Given there are quality bowlers on both sides of the upcoming Australia v NZ series, the night sessions with the new pink ball are going to be very interesting...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back