Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

As Australia go on their merry way, elsewhere Yasir Shah is getting it done again for Pakistan, with a little help from his slow-bowling friends. I believe that a series win against England will rank them at 2. Impressive for a team that doesn't actually get to play at home.

Or a team that generally plays the stronger teams on a consistent basis

They're a handy side.

But yes their record in Australia is horrific.

Quasi supporting them is a nerve shredding experience. Last couple of years have been a nice change.

Apart from all the other less important reasons, the partition of India and Pakistan resulted in splitting a team that could have been sublime. Imagine India's batting with the Pakistani attack at pretty much any point in time.

You'll always have that in different ways, though.

Imagine Australia and New Zealand if they were combined. We might have had...

Oh, basically the same team with the odd Richard Hadlee and Martin Crowe type thrown in. ;)

I take the point, but Aus and nz were never one country.

It is extremely wishful thinking on my part though.
There is provision in our constitution for New Zealand to become a state, though. :D

Still there to this day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they can bring a decent set of quicks out here (and they have a ridiculous record of churning them out), they are a show. Oh and the two old pros in the batting order. Yasir Shah is class.

If they can bring a decent set of quicks out here (and they have a ridiculous record of churning them out), they are a show. Oh and the two old pros in the batting order. Yasir Shah is class.

Yeah, story of the entire country really. Blessed with talent, cursed with complete and utter lack of discipline.

Yeah, story of the entire country really. Blessed with talent, cursed with complete and utter lack of discipline.

Not this team.

Past five years have won all their 'home' series (I guess UAE is home at this point) and half their away series. Ranked no. 2 in the world.

They're going to put on a decent show.

Heaven help the bowling attack that ends up on the receiving end of Warner concentrating for more than 150 deliveries.
I think this has finally happened.

Gladly put my hand up and say I was completely wrong about Warner.

I could not stand him when he came onto the scene in 2008. To me he represented everything wrong with the T20-isation of cricket.

When he was first named to make his Test debut I was mortified.

I still think that 123 carrying his bat (out of 233 all out) in that failed chase of 241 against the Kiwis in Hobart four years ago, on a tough pitch where no one else made a run, is one of the best Test innings I've seen; even if not one of his more explosive efforts.

If you'd told me he was capable of such an innings in 2008, I would have laughed at you.

Did you catch the Victorian score card eth-dog?

All batsmen made starts with Debutant centurion Travis Dean top scoring with 84.

In other news, Wade broke his collarbone in the warm up and is now in doubt for the BBL with Aaron Ayre debuting and hitting a rapid fire 24.
I was there yesterday mate. Also, I think you'll find that Maxwell hit 98 ;).

Fawad Ahmed will never play Test cricket.

Must have overlooked Maxi.

Thoughts on Trav Dean? How did Ayre look with the gloves? Glad Handscomb doesn't have them.
Travis has a good technique and should transition into at the very least a good FC opener, similar to Klinger, if not better. Ayre wasn't the best with the gloves but I'm willing to put that down to first game nerves because from what I've heard he's clearly the best gloveman in the state, could be as good a gloveman as someone like Boucher (from my premier source). Very high praise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back