Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this has finally happened.

Yep. It was a shame that the WACA produced a slow pitch. He probably would have made 350 on a normal WACA deck.

Warner could make mince meat of the records for batting (except average) if he can evolve a balance between the way he plays home and abroad.

Have a lot of respect for NZ cricket because they are plucky bastards that get near every bit of out of their talents.

On pitches such as the ones that Australia has been producing, to try to make tests last 5 days, the major battle for the side batting second is the mental battle. Respect to Williamson and Taylor who were good enough to work through it against a very good bowling attack.

Shame that NZ doesn't have the penetration in its attack for our conditions, this could have been a very interesting series. If only Shane Bond was 15 years younger.

Do you think McMillan is right about Starc and the speed gun? I did not see the spell but it seems a very unusual things for a one off jump in speed by 10 km/h. He is developing into a seriously impressive bowler. I wonder whether he can change his trajectory a little like Johnson did to put more weight behind the ball. He could be absolutely terrifying, he basically already is.

Can't help admire Taylor's effort. Day one all day in the field, day two just about all day out in the centre. Day three, bats all day. And about to head out to the middle on day four....

Remarkable.

Can't help admire Taylor's effort. Day one all day in the field, day two just about all day out in the centre. Day three, bats all day. And about to head out to the middle on day four....

Remarkable.

Travis Dean spent every delivery outon the ground in his debut last start. 4 epic days out in then el.

I'm actually surprised at how relatively impotent Southee and Boult have been on this tour though.

They're not slouches.
I must admit i thought this series would be dominated by the bowlers.

So were Australia to want 60 overs at them tomorrow in the slight hope of bowling them out, then a run-per-ball would get them to a lead of roughly 360 by the end of the first session. That'd leave New Zealand that target to get in 60 overs, ie 6 runs per over. That isn't too dissimilar to an ODI chase. Could be interesting.

Yeah, although this Perth pitch is flatter than the Gibson Desert.
Need pitches and conditions that produce swing. Not enough pace to threaten on flat pitches. Having said that, i did expect a better performance. There is one more test.

Looking at the shield scores, is George Bailey that good a captain? Tassie are 390 ahead, on the last day, with 90-odd overs left to bowl. He should have declared 5 overs ago.

Looking at the shield scores, is George Bailey that good a captain? Tassie are 390 ahead, on the last day, with 90-odd overs left to bowl. He should have declared 5 overs ago.
I suppose he was content with first innings points. Leaving them 88 overs to score 392 is overly conservative, yes.

I suppose he was content with first innings points. Leaving them 88 overs to score 392 is overly conservative, yes.
That's the thing, FIP don't exist anymore (they have a bonus point system), and I would have thought that since they were pointless at the start of this game a win would be very important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart move. Looks past it. So, two changes to the 3rd test at least, what will we see? I reckon something like:

Warner
Burns
S Marsh
Smith
Voges
M Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Siddle
Hazlewood
Lyon

Bird 12th man

Siddle is a backwards step.
In that he's the 3rd best available quick in the country that doesn't need to play a lot more shield cricket before getting back in the test side?

See what you mean eth. Just not happy with those two selections. Need to look into it further.
As a bit of a shield nerd, I can tell you that S Marsh and Siddle are pretty much the only viable options right now.

Who are the other options? A 35 year old Klinger? Quiney?

A 31 year old Shaun Marsh the selectors seem to keep going back to?
Could have made a case for guys like Ferguson, White or even revert back to a guy like George a Bailey. Was certainly the best option and has taken it with both hands

A 31 year old Shaun Marsh the selectors seem to keep going back to?
Could have made a case for guys like Ferguson, White or even revert back to a guy like George a Bailey. Was certainly the best option and has taken it with both hands
Ferguson is s**t. White isn't playing for Victoria. George Bailey has proven that he hasn't the requisite technique to make it. Marsh has proven that he's solid enough to fall back on for a little bit until Maddinson etc develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back