Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

ben stokes rep was arguably higher with australian fans than english fans though, who loved his aggression and all that bullshit

Even though his technique isn't exactly flawless, thought he showed a bit with the bat. Nothing more than passable with the ball though, would be equivalent to us playing Mitch Marsh as a frontline quick.

Batting at eight hasn't exactly helped though

India v England is the equivalent of Carlton v Hawthorn for me.
Carlton vs Richmond for me. I hate the poms, but they're just so funny

The loss must be a big pill to swallow considering they got rolled by Ishant Sharma. Also Looks the the 5-0 Ashes will claim at least one more victim in Prior and maybe even Cook if his wretched run continues. Kinda feel for the bloke but he's only 29 and should bounce back for the next part of his career.

Last edited:

Cook is quite simply an atrocious captain, he needs to give it up now.

He's a great bat at his best but I'm getting the feeling he won't recover his form while he's also carrying the burden of leading a losing team.

Cook is quite simply an atrocious captain, he needs to give it up now.

He's a great bat at his best but I'm getting the feeling he won't recover his form while he's also carrying the burden of leading a losing team.
Exactly. Broad captain, Cook just a batsman and BANG, drastic improvement in the team and Cook

He's just tactically inept. I find it funny that sporting organisations keep coaches and captains stubbornly in place just to make it look they support their decision. It has been clear for a while that he needs to be 'relieved' of his captaincy. In fact if the ECB put it that way, that it's for Cook to focus on his batting, find form and to become a truly great batsman I once more, think people could wear it.

your captaincy is gonna look bad when your two best batsmen + best bowler are putting in below par performances. that has now stopped and hey we're not criticising cook's captaincy over the past two tests isnt that interesting
The criticism has not just been due to bad performances, though.

What about, just as an example, his refusal to give his bowlers more time to bowl out Sri Lanka earlier this year? Ultimately, it cost England a series.

Heavily impacted by no-one but Ballance sticking around during the second innings. They were, afterall, 6/121 at one stage. Given SL scored 400 odd in the first innings and Lord's typically flattens out as the game goes on, it was perfectly understandable. It's not sexy, but not declaring until you're sure you're not gonna lose happens all the time, particularly when it's the first test of the series (it's something Strauss was criticised a lot for)

Cook is by no means an aggressive, edgy etc captain, but frankly most test captains are conservative ****s who don't display good tactics. And it seems a helluva lot of criticism about captaincy has it roots based on how the team is expected to perform and results. Which is fine, but it does lead to over-reactions in the short term. I think Cook's captaincy will play no major part in deciding the next Ashes, but the form of Bell, Anderson and himself? And if they all fire I bet there's a heap of stuff about how much Cook has improved as captain.

Plus obviously we're not very good at accessing when the coaching staff is to blame either. When they win, there's praise for the back-room and their tactics and when they lose people start going on about over-sized back rooms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sri Lanka finished nine down in that game. And about 180 short of the target.

Giving his bowlers say 15-20 overs at them at the end of day four wasn't that ridiculous.

Problem is they would have had a lead of around 300 or so if they declared at the time, because the top order collapse led to a slowish scoring rate as they made sure they didn't get bowled out for 170. It's not like they did nothing in that last 20 overs, they added 100 and made sure they didn't lose. Ideally they would have gone at 5 an over in the first 50 overs of the innings and declared around that time, but Cook, Bell etc scored nothing. If they're scoring runs that probably happens and this debate doesn't happen.

your captaincy is gonna look bad when your two best batsmen + best bowler are putting in below par performances. that has now stopped and hey we're not criticising cook's captaincy over the past two tests isnt that interesting
Yeah I'm not sure that that explains his field placements over the past year.

Baffling.

yeah hughes should refuse selection until the home series, because the team will probably get killed by ajmal and someone will have to be dropped so. This time 'round he should aim to do a marsh/bailey (be stuck with despite poor performance because the team is winning) instead of doing a hughes (being the one who gets dropped because the team lost and you were the easiest person to drop)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back