Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fighter is tremendous. I rate it and Russell's other two major films of late, Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle. All are terrifically funny.

There's a couple of major boxing films coming out later this year - Antoine Fuqua's Southpaw with Gyllenhaal, which looks to be a very loose remake of the old classic The Champ (Wallace Beery, not Jon Voight!), and also Bleed For This starring Miles Teller.

Oh, and there's also going to be the Rocky franchise spin-off, Creed.

Jake Gyllenhaal on Doing 1,000 Situps a Day to Play a Boxer inSouthpaw

http://www.people.com/article/jake-gyllenhaal-southpaw-boxing-training?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+people%2Fheadlines+%28PEOPLE.com%3A+Top+Headlines%29

"I knew very little about the science, the techniques of boxing before we started," he says. "My thought was, if I trained twice a day, I can make five months, 10 months [of training]. That's what we did. I spent all my time surrounded by Antoine [Fuqua, the director], my trainer and [the fighters] I was boxing with."

Fuqua enlisted the help of trainer Terry Claybon, who outlined a strict regimen for the 34-year-old star, including 1,000 sit-ups a day, 100 pull-ups, 100 dips, 2 sets of 100 squats, jumping rope, and running eight miles a day, not to mention footwork drills, punching, and sparring. "He gained 15 lbs. of muscle," says Claybon.

Lord Nicholson or anyone know much about sense8 ?

i'm very excited about it, looks to be on Netflix from tomorrow, 12 part series done by the Wachowski Bros and J Michael Straczynski.

The plot revolves around eight strangers from different parts of the world who suddenly become mentally and emotionally linked and it is set to explore subjects that its writers felt science fiction shows tend to ignore or skim through such as politics, identity, sexuality, gender and religion

'Sense8 will tell the story of eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world, who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally connected – an evolutionary leap of technological origin. While trying to figure why this happened and what it means for the future of mankind, a mysterious and powerful man named Jonas will try to bring the eight together, while another stranger called Mr. Whispers and his organization will attempt to hunt them down to capture or assassinate them. Each episode will focus on one character and their story'

Couldnt be more up my alley - better not dissapoint!

Heard anything anyone?

Lord Nicholson or anyone know much about sense8 ?

i'm very excited about it, looks to be on Netflix from tomorrow, 12 part series done by the Wachowski Bros and J Michael Straczynski.

The plot revolves around eight strangers from different parts of the world who suddenly become mentally and emotionally linked and it is set to explore subjects that its writers felt science fiction shows tend to ignore or skim through such as politics, identity, sexuality, gender and religion

'Sense8 will tell the story of eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world, who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally connected – an evolutionary leap of technological origin. While trying to figure why this happened and what it means for the future of mankind, a mysterious and powerful man named Jonas will try to bring the eight together, while another stranger called Mr. Whispers and his organization will attempt to hunt them down to capture or assassinate them. Each episode will focus on one character and their story'

Couldnt be more up my alley - better not dissapoint!

Heard anything anyone?
No but it sounds interesting.

I'm a Wachowski fan, but haven't seen that last thing they did and wasn't enthused overly by Cloud Atlas. They are always, at the very least, interesting. Dunno much about Sense8 though. TV is not my go.

I'm a Wachowski fan, but haven't seen that last thing they did and wasn't enthused overly by Cloud Atlas. They are always, at the very least, interesting. Dunno much about Sense8 though. TV is not my go.

I felt like Cloud Atlas was too clever by half. Sometimes some things are too just to difficult to take on. I tried so hard to like it, i wanted to like it but it was hard work.

The bride dragged me along to Pitch Perfect II last weekend.

Have to admit I didn't mind the original because of its uniqueness. But if you get asked to go to the sequel I'd recommend you play the something suddenly came up or illness card!

just having a debate at lunch - i dont watch GOT so i dont get involved but some guy was keeping up with the convo but hes never seen the show, only read the books.

We got onto the topic of the visual medium never living up to the book form, becuase nothiing can beat our own minds imagination.

so we got to thinking, has there ever actually been a movie adaptation of a book that has superseeded the book version? or atleast held its own?

i mean there is so much dross like life of pi, and da vinci code... are there any winners?

just having a debate at lunch - i dont watch GOT so i dont get involved but some guy was keeping up with the convo but hes never seen the show, only read the books.

We got onto the topic of the visual medium never living up to the book form, becuase nothiing can beat our own minds imagination.

so we got to thinking, has there ever actually been a movie adaptation of a book that has superseeded the book version? or atleast held its own?

i mean there is so much dross like life of pi, and da vinci code... are there any winners?

I thought Life of Pi was pretty good tbh.

LotR, Shawshank, Bond?

Bourne Identity?

I thought Life of Pi was pretty good tbh.

LotR, Shawshank, Bond?

i watched life of pi, and it was OK.. but my mind had drifited off so many times during the book into tangents and thoughts, enjoyed it so much. During the movie at times i labored.

Sometimes i wish i had maybe saw the film without reading the book first just to see if i'd gain a different appreciation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a pretty hard argument to have I think, generally people who have read the book first and have had that whole new experience where it's constantly learning, discovering, immersing themselves in a new world that come to love that medium have a pretty hard time being objective about movie adaptations and go into insta defense/elitism mode when it comes to movie versions of books. I mean that's obv a whole lot of generalising but it's the sort of stuff that comes up a lot when beloved books come to the big screen.

Like Howard Moon I think a lot of the movies can't really live up to book read expectation just because they've already had that experience of discovery and imagination so things just can't compare (mostly, anyway) - whereas people coming in with fresh minds will look at the films with a completely different mindset and not be looking to always compare.

I guess there's also that thing about a book, you can say it in words, in a line or paragraph and you have got across your point.

Sometimes to get that same point across in film tactfully might take ten or twenty minutes! Extrapolate that for 300 pages and you can see why movies gloss over a lot of details the book reader my have thought important or crucial.

Hmm didn't quite explain that how it was in my mind but I'm.Sure you get the drift

Yeah I get it, and it's the reason I'm much more of a t.v fan than a film fan these days since the quality of story telling on tv is much higher over the last 15 years imo given the length of time they have to tell the story and flesh out things. Thinking about it like that I guess I get book readers a bit more now.

Yeah I get it, and it's the reason I'm much more of a t.v fan than a film fan these days since the quality of story telling on tv is much higher over the last 15 years imo given the length of time they have to tell the story and flesh out things. Thinking about it like that I guess I get book readers a bit more now.

Yep!

That's exactly why sense8 is working as a series but wouldn't have as a film.

But Beerfish , there's one bit that works better in vision than in a book and it happens alot in sense8, when you see the damaged, stressed, sad, shackled adult character, then they go off on their thoughts to their child self playing, happy, undamaged, limitless.

It's always such a powerful image and hits me every time. Dosebt work nearly as well in words.

I don't think a film will ever compete with a good book because of the time, emotion and imagination you invest in a good book. As much as I liked Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird or Jack Nicholson in Cuckoo's Nest they didn't even get close. I do, however, think a film can be better than a bad/ordinary book or a non fiction book e.g. The Social Network.

Last edited:
The Godfather is infinitely better as a film, since Coppola excises Puzo's crass Johnny Fontane plotline.

In regards to movies in general, Inside Out is the business.

Surely I'm not the only one that finds certain jokes from movies over the years ****ing hilarious. (Thanks captain obvious, jokes are SUPPOSED to be funny). But I'm talking the kind of thing I can watch ten years later and still piss myself at.....

An example.

Black TV

Yeah, sometimes I like some really lowbrow s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back