Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So, it's five years coming up for the other half and I, and we've resolved to go somewhere suitably ridiculously expensive.

Attica is looking likely at this point.

Where are some of your favourite go-to places? Good and bad experiences alike, share 'em here!

In my area I have 2 favourites: Grand Forno in Ashwood, which is a hearty Italian restaurant which makes wood-fired pizza's. The other is Choi's in Camberwell, a bit more formal than Grand Forno (not that it's hard). Absolutely lovely food and great service.

Best restaurant I've been to by far is Flower Drum where I had the privilege of having a photo with Adam, winner of series 2 of Masterchef

Unless you're planning on getting on a plane, my feedback here is pretty useless.

I do, however, love food and also love cooking. Unfortunately I need to wait until my daughter's palates develop before I can indulge on a regular basis. Until then we're back to more basic cookery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made the standard large batch of chicken risotto to last the rest of the week. Smelled very good when I was cooking it!

I'm not the world's biggest fan of reheated risotto, though it does make for an uber easy meal. Tends to go too stodgy, or if I mix a little water with it before heating and it becomes overcooked and gluggy. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong there or not.

I rotate through 3 risottos quite often though.

1. Bacon, asparagus and pea
2. Roast pumpkin, pancetta and baby spinach
3. Chicken, tomato, mushroom and basil (this one uses red wine instead of white, then made with beef stock)

My eldest laps them all up, the youngest will pick what she doesn't like out of each of them (generally anything that is green in colour).

Apologies, no engagement/wedding puns included.

My specialty from scratch is Chicken Parmiagana. Need to convince dad to teach me how to make the bases for pizza though...

Otherwise, I quite enjoy baking.

I love making a good paella too.

One thing I do every so often is stuffed red capsicum. Usually the filling is a rice/beef mince/spice mixture, cooked in the oven.

My other half's late grandfather used to grow these ginormous pumpkins- he gave me one once that weighed in at 11.7kg. Anyhow, I made a Moroccan stuffed pumpkin with that. The stuffing was basically minced lamb, rice and various spices, cinnamon and sweet paprika being most prominent. Was delicious.

I also have a tagine which I love using every so often.

My next project is to do a really slow cooked lamb, beef brisket or pork knuckle.

astrowizzle's Mexican pizza deserves a mention here:
speaking of mexican gr8 pizza recipe
150g roast beef
1 tin refried beans
1 table sppoon taco seasoning mix
mozarella to taste (about 150g is usually enough)
PIZZA
------
Make base (or buy premade)
mix taco seasoning into refried bean mix
put on base
put on roast beef
top with cheese

TOPPING
--------
dice 1 red onion, 1 tomato and mix
mash 1 avocao
sour cream

Cook Pizza around 20-25 mins until browned on top at 180C
Slice up and top with onion/tomato mix, mashed avocado and a dollop of sour cream on top

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I found the refried beans were a bit much, and the other half is a vegetarian, so I've been doing it with Quorn mince fried up with a jar of salsa and the taco seasoning, and a few good squeezes of lime juice both in that mix and over the top once it's out of the oven.

A mix of soy sauce, dijon mustard, minced garlic and honey has delivered me the best chicken marinade I think I've ever used.

And when you go through a kilo of it a day, this can not be understated.

How do you find that generally? I would find it really frustrating.
As would I.

Ethically I would actually like to be a vego, but by jove, I just enjoy meat too much.

I actually quite like it. She doesn't care if I have meat in the house, so long as it's on a different chopping board etc., but as I'm the main cook and cbf making two meals I find I just eat far less meat. It's good for the health and forces me to use my imagination a bit. Then, whenever we're out for a meal I tend the gravitate towards the biggest parma I can find - or in this country a slab of deep-fried cod. She's a nurse too, so whenever she's on a late shift I can cook whatever.

The only times it's actively frustrating are when we've had to traipse around some bum-* third-world town (or, you know, Beijing) for hours trying to find something edible. We had a bit of a game in Chinese bakeries, "pick the four items least likely to have meat in". Would settle on something like a plain croissant, only to crack it open and find an entire sausage hidden inside.

A mix of soy sauce, dijon mustard, minced garlic and honey has delivered me the best chicken marinade I think I've ever used.

And when you go through a kilo of it a day, this can not be understated.
Tried a little sesame oil?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back