Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not the world's biggest fan of reheated risotto, though it does make for an uber easy meal. Tends to go too stodgy, or if I mix a little water with it before heating and it becomes overcooked and gluggy. Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong there or not.

I rotate through 3 risottos quite often though.

1. Bacon, asparagus and pea
2. Roast pumpkin, pancetta and baby spinach
3. Chicken, tomato, mushroom and basil (this one uses red wine instead of white, then made with beef stock)

My eldest laps them all up, the youngest will pick what she doesn't like out of each of them (generally anything that is green in colour).

Apologies, no engagement/wedding puns included.
So i had the roast pumpkin, pancetta and baby spinach number tonight.

It really is quality combo. For those that like a risotto, give it a crack. Only tips are to cook the pancetta first until it is bordering on crispy then add when you put in the last of the stock, and add the roast pumpkin a few minutes earlier so the outer layer dissolves into the starchy, stocky sauce.

My go to is usually Bistro Guillame at Crown.

Above Quality fair, relaxed setting. Can get a 3 course for $59 which is a great deal.

most mains are $40+, decent entrees $20+, desserts $20 ish.

I usually go the tried and true onion soup to start, its got awesome cheese melted croutons in it mmmmm

Missus likes the crab salad.

Main i'll go the pork belly or lamb rack, she always goes the chicken.

Dessert is where it gets tricky. Lemon tart? Chocolate fondue? giant raspberry macaron? profiteroles? salted caramel tart? hmm.

Anyhow i have a bit of a food background. I started training as a chef at a French place in port melbourne called la madrague, but i was too young and it didnt really work out for me, so i bummed around for a few years before i tried again, did my apprentiship at an Italian trattoria in Carlton North called la trattoria (original i know)

These days i save my best work for the missus and kids, they dont send things back or complain.

So i had the roast pumpkin, pancetta and baby spinach number tonight.

It really is quality combo. For those that like a risotto, give it a crack. Only tips are to cook the pancetta first until it is bordering on crispy then add when you put in the last of the stock, and add the roast pumpkin a few minutes earlier so the outer layer dissolves into the starchy, stocky sauce.

no reheated risotto!,

ball it up (with a touch of mozzerella and or sauce), dip in egg, then crumbs, then deep fry, aranchini! mmm leftovery

no reheated risotto!,

ball it up (with a touch of mozzerella and or sauce), dip in egg, then crumbs, then deep fry, aranchini! mmm leftovery

I agree it ain't as good reheated (refer my previous post in this thread on the matter), but it's an easy meal that the kids eat so I'll roll with it.

have you got the turbo risotto and the real risotto in your locker?

turbo - boil the arborio rice in a pot of stock instead of water , then throw it in the pan and add the touches
real - laboriously ladel the stock one pour at a time

have you got the turbo risotto and the real risotto in your locker?

turbo - boil the arborio rice in a pot of stock instead of water , then throw it in the pan and add the touches
real - laboriously ladel the stock one pour at a time

Real only for me. That way I can neck a bottle of wine then drink the rest during/after cooking.

Wifey actually does one that's made in the oven which is quite good and I'm not really a fan of risotto.

I'm keen to try making a baked risotto one day, I've heard good and bad things about them but like everything, it probably comes down to the ingredients and whether the cook has a clue or not.

no lie, my kids could have pasta every single night of the week and not complain. I guess its good to have a fail safe.

Same. They also don't mind a tin of spaghetti on toast which means the wife and I aren't logged into kid friendly meals 365/6 days a year.

Had an eggplant and mincde beef bake with polenta crust for lunch today.

Was ******* delicious I might add, too. And home made.

I do look forward to experimenting and trying new dishes like I used to, and I know the time will come as said kids get older and I get some time back.

no reheated risotto!,

Actually, if ever you're here in Adelaide for the footy 9or whatever else), consider going to Enzo's for dinner. It's an Italian restaurant right near the entertainment centre so you can get a free tram from the city basically to the restaurant doorstep, then a tram back into town which drops you more or less at the footbridge across to Adelaide Oval.

They do one of the best aranchini balls you'll ever taste. It's a pumpkin and blue swimmer crab number, served with nothing more than some (damn fine) Napolitana sauce. It's close to one of the nicest things I have ever eaten in any Italian restaurant ever. The rest of their grub is very good too, but the aranchini balls were divine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we are pretty lucky in Melbourne with the quality of food and the selection of cuisines. I work at Crown, ive been involved with the supply of food in the past but am now the cellarmaster (sounds more fun than it could be) but I still have close ties. With all the hooha recently about the fat duck ballot, and people spending $500pp for a meal ect. It's more of an experience than a meal, but it is pretty first world ay, complaining about
missing a ballot for a meal haha.

Anyhow it's pretty much confirmed after the fat duck the venue will then host a residency of Hestons other London venue 'dinner' so the circus will still be here....

Sounds tempting! my mates keep telling me about La Boca, any good? for a ravenous meat eater

I haven't eaten there myself, but have heard good reviews with respect to both food and the atmosphere (the open fire pit certainly creates a discussion point for diners).

There's a few good Argentinian restaurants in the city though. Sosta on Rundle St is good, Gauchos on Gouger St is an old favourite of mine. I'll have to get myself to La Boca some time soon and give it a crack and compare against the other 2.

http://adelaide.laboca.com.au/

http://www.sostaargentiniankitchen.com.au/

http://www.gauchos.com.au/

Last edited:
Okay I got some squid tubes out of the freezer this morning to make a salad tonight. I put them in the sink with some water to defrost them for a bit with the intention of putting them back in the fridge before I left for work. Well, I forgot to put them back in the fridge so will be coming home to squid that's been sitting in a sink of water all day.

What do you think? Risk it?

Okay I got some squid tubes out of the freezer this morning to make a salad tonight. I put them in the sink with some water to defrost them for a bit with the intention of putting them back in the fridge before I left for work. Well, I forgot to put them back in the fridge so will be coming home to squid that's been sitting in a sink of water all day.

What do you think? Risk it?
I wouldn't. Seafood just has 'that' potential.

I know I know. What if it's still kind of coolish though?
I'd still be reluctant. How are you cooking the tubes? Grilling?

Keep in mind, bacteria begins to multiply once the temperature is above four Celsius.

I know I know. What if it's still kind of coolish though?
I'd swing passed somewhere on the way home from work and pick up fresh squid if I was you.

Well I was going to boil them actually.. should kill any bacteria right?
Right. I have no idea how it'll taste but boiling always removes bacteria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back