Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when lamb shanks were $2 each. The old man goes a step back from there, he remembers when they used to slaughter a sheep a week on the farm and the shanks would get thrown out the back for the dogs to fight over.

They're now basically the same price as scotch fillet (yes I know, one is lamb, one is beef) when you compare the amount of meat you're purchasing. I hate that, people finally realised en masse that cheap, tough cuts of meat are brilliant when slow cooked, so you now buy expensive, tough cuts of meat that are brilliant when slow cooked. Thanks TV - NOT

Huh, this isn't the What Shits Ya thread? Ok, I love lamb shanks but lament the fact they've gone up almost exponentially in price over the years.

Mashed potato never tastes as good as when it is paired with nice saucy, slow cooked lamb shanks. Never.

Well you could. Just rub salt into the fat pre cooking and give it 30 seconds or so in direct contact with the cooking surface if tasty fat is your thing.

I could, or I could just have a scotch fillet.

For the record, my favourite is a sirloin cooked on the bone but that is an occasional treat.

Not sure if any of you make it up to Queensland but I've just discovered this place in Brisbane and it is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had.
http://www.papajacks.com.au/
Bring a bib - the wings and ribs are super saucy and I highly recommend the chicken and waffles.

I had one of those "my god that was good" moments last night.

The wife and kids were at the footy so I was eating alone. I'd just finished making a mince based taco sauce for an easy Monday night meal. I decided to have an omelette for dinner but what to put in it?

I ended up mixing some tabasco sauce into the egg mix, then added some mozzarella and taco sauce to the omelette, folding it over to go melt the cheese before serving.

Bloody hell. I was shocked as to how good it was. Words don't do it justice at all, it is hard to pretend it sounds nice and in hindsight I have no idea what made me do it, but it was the best omelette I've had in a very very long time.

Have rarely enjoyed a meal as much as I did the left over Thai last night after getting in at some ungodly hour after watching the State of Origin game. The beer hungries have extended to greasy, bloody KFC for lunch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems about the closest fit given we don't have a wine thread so.....

Hey Andronicus , I'm after your opinion. I just received a scoopon for a case of Torpedo Rocks, either cab merlot or semillon sav blanc, delivered for $59. Now it is normally only $119 which says it isn't a premium wine (duh), but given it's from Margaret River I was wondering whether you've heard of the winery, would the wine be any good as a quaffer, or should I press delete on that email pronto?

This seems about the closest fit given we don't have a wine thread so.....

Hey Andronicus , I'm after your opinion. I just received a scoopon for a case of Torpedo Rocks, either cab merlot or semillon sav blanc, delivered for $59. Now it is normally only $119 which says it isn't a premium wine (duh), but given it's from Margaret River I was wondering whether you've heard of the winery, would the wine be any good as a quaffer, or should I press delete on that email pronto?
Not much help I'm afraid.

Haven't had it so can't say either way, but there are some great cheap wines. I find that price range to be safer here than most regions, but there are still some shockers.

Cheaper whites are usually safer than reds, but some can be duds too. At $59 it's probably a risk I'd take though.

Interesting fact for you, the Margaret River wine region produces only 4% of Australia's wines, but 20% of Australia's premium wines. Punching well above our weight.

Disclaimer: those figures were from a few years ago and could have changed now.

Not much help I'm afraid.

Haven't had it so can't say either way, but there are some great cheap wines. I find that price range to be safer here than most regions, but there are still some shockers.

Cheaper whites are usually safer than reds, but some can be duds too. At $59 it's probably a risk I'd take though.

Interesting fact for you, the Margaret River wine region produces only 4% of Australia's wines, but 20% of Australia's premium wines. Punching well above our weight.

Disclaimer: those figures were from a few years ago and could have changed now.

When we were there in 2006 the lady who ran our winery tour told us the same. They are nice wines, no doubt, but like all wine regions there's the odd shocker hence my asking. Now I need to determine whether I want to risk having a case of cooking wine if it's not so great.

When we were there in 2006 the lady who ran our winery tour told us the same. They are nice wines, no doubt, but like all wine regions there's the odd shocker hence my asking. Now I need to determine whether I want to risk having a case of cooking wine if it's not so great.
I haven't heard of it either (I don't just drink beer:drunk:) but I'm not sure if this is any help. You didn't say what year it was.

I haven't heard of it either (I don't just drink beer:drunk:) but I'm not sure if this is any help. You didn't say what year it was.

It's 2011 red, 2012 white, but the labels on the bottles in the scoopon are very different to those in that link. Also those bottles going for $40 a bottle vs $119 a dozen doesn't quite compute.

I'm leaning towards probably not, I'm sure Get Wines Direct or something similar will have heavily discounted wines that I know about some time in the future.

It's 2011 red, 2012 white, but the labels on the bottles in the scoopon are very different to those in that link. Also those bottles going for $40 a bottle vs $119 a dozen doesn't quite compute.

I'm leaning towards probably not, I'm sure Get Wines Direct or something similar will have heavily discounted wines that I know about some time in the future.
Yeah I thought it was a bit odd re the pricing but wines are generally more expensive at the cellar door from memory.. or is it the other way round? I have this recollection of visiting wineries, taking note of the ones we liked then buying them much cheaper in the local liquor shop.

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd re the pricing but wines are generally more expensive at the cellar door from memory.. or is it the other way round? I have this recollection of visiting wineries, taking note of the ones we liked then buying them much cheaper in the local liquor shop.

Yeah cellar door is more expensive so I grab their order forms and mark the ones I like, then buy elsewhere when cheap. $119 a case vs $480 a case has me thinking they are very different though.

That link Beerfish posted may have helped a bit.

Cape Nat do some great stuff. I didn't recognise it as one of their labels, but if it is, I would lean even further towards taking it. Still not assuring you of the quality, but I have had some cheaper wines from them and found the to be quite reasonable. Brilliant people out there and really know what they are doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back