Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that I'm home, I never listened to Say You Will. As far as I was concerned the last album was Tango. Is it really worth it? I saw some reasonably recent footage and I have to say they're showing their age which is understandable. I think the main reason I'd be going is just to witness LB play guitar as I've always admired his prowess. If I was going to see them belt out Go Your Own Way et al I think I'd probably come away a bit disappointed. I always find it a bit depressing when artists have to change the key of songs because they can't hit the notes they could 30 to 40 odd years ago. I mean it's obviously better than playing them in the original key and not hitting the notes but you know..

Say You Will is like a Buckingham album with Nicks woven through it, moreso than any other Mac album. I'm not saying that it's as good as the Fleetwood Mac 75 -- Tango in the Night run at all, but it's a s**t-ton better than the muck they served up in the 90s.

Best track is this, IMO, which gives you an estimation of where it's at:

BTW, have you heard any of the Bob Welch-period stuff? Obviously the Peter Green stuff is really pure blues and has absolutely nothing to do with where Buckingham/Nicks took the band, but the Welch-period stuff features C. McVie and is pretty interesting:

(I've probably already cited this stuff before, but whatever)

I've actually been meaning to ask you too, I've never listened to a Steely Dan album. What's the first one I should listen to if all I know is the hits?

First full Steely Dan album I listened to is The Royal Scam, which features Larry Carlton extensively and veers towards a harder rock sound. The A-side is stronger than the B-side though, quite easily.

The two masterpieces are Pretzel Logic and Aja, though. It really depends whether you prefer the more bluesy stuff or the smooth west coast jazz stuff, respectively.

TBH though, I started with The Nightfly and worked my way backwards.

I love Dave Grohl. That would've been amazing.

I do too. Despite that weird s**t that went on with that AIDS isn't real group or whatever they were called (I think that was mostly Taylor Hawkins' fault though iirc)? Amazing drummer, pretty damn good guitarist and can lay down a first class vocal or harmony at the same time no worries. Is underrated if anything in my book.

And John Paul Jones wrote the bass line to Black Dog.

The "FRESH POT" world tour.
Obligatory

I do too. Despite that weird s**t that went on with that AIDS isn't real group or whatever they were called (I think that was mostly Taylor Hawkins' fault though iirc)? Amazing drummer, pretty damn good guitarist and can lay down a first class vocal or harmony at the same time no worries. Is underrated if anything in my book.

And John Paul Jones wrote the bass line to Black Dog.
I'm pretty sure that was Nate Mendel, the bassist.

Lord Nicholson

That seems fairly derivative despite Buckingham playing silly buggers at the end.

Bob Welch?! This is the only Bob Welch worth listening to.. despite Stevie trying to balls it up! Lot of abuse that night I reckon. Also, MC Hammer pants before they were MC Hammer pants.

So Pretzel Logic then Aja and take it from there. Thanks. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Oh god... switch off her mike already.

I like the bulk of Welch's debut solo album, actually. Maybe I'm just a sucker for strings. The less said about the sophomore effort the better.

Love reading the internet's attempts at getting the lyrics right when an album is first released. For example:

is translated to this:

http://www.lyricsmania.com/chimes_at_midnight_lyrics_mastodon.html

I saw the mountain crumble down
I saw corrosive influence
I will be out shut drying
Nothing that I do ever change

Off with my head, come down the line
I have been lied to, designed
I pray this is right, on my spine
Altered minds, they criticize

Arrest what's in your flesh
How can we stop this pollution?
I've been down, you cannot fix
Envy our mothers, let the nights be rich

All my heroes, they're all dead
I remain inside my

The way I handle it meantime I realize
And to the boat I go
The way I am, I've seen a face again
All blind behind me go

Rising inside
I am alive

And the darkness here is grim
But it found us, surrounding
Leave me deep into the cranium
You push your guidance all around me

Feet, I'm grounded, give me your best
I'll take you golden to silence
You take a stand, pushing yourself
For this gold is never ending

The way I handle it meantime I realize
And to the boat I go
The way I am, I've seen a face again
All blind behind me go

Rising inside
I am alive

Correct answer here by the way: http://www.songlyrics.com/mastodon/chimes-at-midnight-lyrics/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always been a big fan of Porcupine Tree but have been lazy about getting into Steven Wilson's solo work until recently. This record is really good.

Hmm. Was going to give that a go due to Alan Parsons' involvement. Might do so now.

I went away recently to Fiji for a lil bit and thought I'd take my ipod with me that I havn't used in a long time. Found a couple of my old bands songs on there which were recorded probably like 7 or 8 years ago, I actually did the tracking/mixing e.t.c for them when I was studying Audio Engineering so thought I would throw them up here for the lols. Unfortunately the versions I have are def rough mixes and I know I went back in and added in some drum parts (kind of annoying in that doing the drumming I had my mates tracking them so they sound a bit poopier than I would have liked... anyway super cool story e.t.c.

apple getting rid of the ipod classic is a bummer. not because i love the device itself, but it's the only 100gb+ MP3 that I knew was still on the market.
eBay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back