Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

As long as it collects some more scalps and publically shames a few more of these swines so be it.

It's only worth it if they get the focus right.

One of the problems during the UK expenses scandal was that there was so much focus on those that had wrongfully claimed expenses, that there was little focus on those who legally claimed expenses that really shouldn't be legal - like David Cameron claiming £21,000 a year for his mortgage, and George Osborne £18,000.

It's only worth it if they get the focus right.

One of the problems during the UK expenses scandal was that there was so much focus on those that had wrongfully claimed expenses, that there was little focus on those who legally claimed expenses that really shouldn't be legal - like David Cameron claiming £21,000 a year for his mortgage, and George Osborne £18,000.
I'm happy for the whole underbelly to be exposed.

The Republican nomination is proving to be equal parts hilarious and ******* horrifying.
I stand by John Oliver's answer when asked if he'd like Trump as President because of the comedic gold it'd give him.

"No because I'm a human being and I'd have to deal with the human consequences and I don't want that"

Trump is one of the most skilled promoters and persuaders I have ever seen. It's like he's running in a different campaign to the others. What's particularly amazing is seeing how is persuasion skills work in people that don't (yet) like him. The National Review's massive 'Against Trump' issue appears to me to be a white flag from the Republican establishment.

Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert) has also been covering this aspect of the campaign in his blog.

Also - I would not at all be surprised if the camapign ends up being Trump v Sanders v Bloomberg, with Trump winning.

Anyway, the fears about Trump seem to be to be mostly unfounded. Trump always couches his language in such a way that it gives him an out down the track, but he is what he says he is - a deal maker. He always starts high when making a deal to give himself a strong negotiating position. That's all he's doing with his 'outrageous' claims.

Just look at this:

imrs.jpg

Trump, a man who most people at the start of the campaign would've said they know well enough to have made up their mind on, has managed to totally reverse the numbers of people that would and wouldn't support him. This is a persuasive genius at work.

Persuasive genius doesn't make him a good option, however.

Nothing I have heard from him, either initially or his subsequent moderation of initial crazy statement, leads me to think he would be anything other than a disastrous choice.

You'll get at least four years of his presidency to see whether he brings disaster on the world.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I think it's more that a lot of the US public are easily swayed and are idiots.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Because they have different political opinions to you?

No it's more because I can see through his persuasive prowess in a second.
Like many people seem to be able to do.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
The fun part for them will be convincing all of these would-be supporters to turn out and vote for him.

Also, how terrifying if Trump and Abbott were both in power at the same time o_O

Trump won't win. The Republicans like him but the Democrats and neutrals HATE him.
What makes you think that?

The answers to both of these are connected. Trump appeals most to two groups: people who always vote, and people who never vote. Those who always vote (Republican, mostly, but probably some disaffected conservative Democrats as well) have been ignored by their party structure and are heading the charge for him to be nominated. Those who never vote hate both parties for being the same (which they are) and can clearly see the difference between them and Trump. Trump can rely on both these groups who want change, just as Obama could rely on groups that wanted change and got a huge turnout in '08.

The reason this answers Eth's question is that Hillary Clinton is not popular, not even among Democrats. If she's the nominee, it's not hard to see a lot of people staying home because they don't want to vote for either. Trump has already been out-polling her, and his level of dissatisfaction amongst voters has halved in less than a year. He is a master persuader. If, as I believe will happen, Sanders is the nominee instead of Clinton, then Michael Bloomberg will enter the race as well, vacuum up some Democrats and a lesser number of Republicans, and Trump will come away with the victory.

Back