Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

its a big deal, its a big thing, this type of thing dosent happen every day.

a rough estimation is that theres around 10,000 planes in the sky at any one time, (during 9/11 2000 had to be taken out of the sky in the USA alone..)

so out of these 10,000 or whatever planes at any one time, 99.9 % of the time they make it to their destination without fuss.... every now and then there is a scare, and it makes news, or there is a devistating crash, many dead.. its big news.

But for a plane to just vanish into thin air, then to find out there may have been foul play involved it makes for a huge global story.

People feel comfortable flying beacsue the industy is water tight, it needs to be. When soemthing like this can happen.. in this age of big brother, satelights, technology... for them to have zero answers, dosent it worry you?

im sure every person on the globe is curious to find out what has happened.

Yeah I can't recall a recent time where a fully loaded passenger aircraft from a major international airline simply vanished without trace.

This is definitely a big deal, and that is grossly underselling how big this is.

Yeah I can't recall a recent time where a fully loaded passenger aircraft from a major international airline simply vanished without trace.

This is definitely a big deal, and that is grossly underselling how big this is.

The last similar thing to this was this - http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ith-gps-tracking/story-fnizu68q-1226856947629

But that was just two engineers who seem to have stolen the plane and sold it off for parts. But then again, surprising that the people never turned up somewhere.

Bailed up by a thunderstorm in bum*-nowhere, China, so 'Odd things of the world' continues:

So pretty much everyone in Hong Kong with a bit of money has a live-in, all-purpose Filipina maid/childraiser/workhorse. It gets pretty ridiculous, you have stay at home wives doing the grocery shopping, with an employee tagging along to carry the child and the groceries. Anyhow, these women only get Sundays off, but they can't exactly chill at "home", given it's at best an apartment shared with 10 others, at worst a bathroom floor, and usually a glorified cupboard. So they go to church in the morning, then set up little cardboard nests all over town and have public picnic/party things.

qYgWm.jpg

WLVZw.jpg

We also stumbled on some sort of impromptu Miss Filipina Maid bikini pageant, but there were enough creepy white guys taking photos already.

So this is happening:

51042_f878370029895f69f74f2aee0e3af0a8.jpg

If you don't hear from me next week, Doss gets my postcount and the rest of you can timeshare the Fletch avatar.
Don't make any Psy jokes either :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

check this....

my mate just came back from a little trip, vegas and hawaii.

flies melb to LAX to wait for connection...

wait wait wait, no seat alocation on boarding pass (which came with the first leg) asked the desk who said its ok, we are working on it.

gate closes! umm excuse me delta, why are we not on the plane?

oh sorry says delta, the flight was overbooked, here, have two cheques for $1300 us dollars! now go wait in the club lounge til further notice.. so they sit and have a meal and a few drinks and what not to wait for a flight, 4 hrs later they get the next avail flight.

4 hr delay, $1300 compo, yes please!

im gunna get my missus to book us on the most overloaded flight we can find to see if we can rought this system :p

we always used to fly stand by because we had staff discounts, so naturally we would try and find flights with seats but even so a day before some flights it would be +27 i.e 27 people too many yet we would still somehow get on, i have no idea how 27 ppl could change their minds a day before a flight???

Similar happened to me. Sort of.

On my journey to New York from Melbourne last year, at LAX I was told I had no seat on the leg from LAX to Newark. I'd flown to LAX on Qantas but, in the interests of cheapness, had gone with United from LAX to New York. Mistake...

...except that they persuaded a bloke in first class to pull out in exchange for a voucher for another flight. So I got to sit in first class between Los Angeles and New York. That's a 5.5 hour flight, which actually really made it worthwhile too.

i think they offered them a seat in first class for a flight the next day and they said no.... moral? say no and youll get cash :)
Yeah, I just really wanted to get to NYC. I'd had virtually no sleep between Melbourne and LA (and very nearly missed the connecting flight at Sydney after being delayed leaving Melbourne, because a guy had an attack of flight anxiety at the last second..FMD), and LAX is a complete and utter hole.

I didn't want to hang around at that airport a second longer than I had to.

just looking at fodzillas awesome pics, could be good if everyone in here posted their all time favorite travel pic of theirs and a little background on it? (or have we done this?)
Don't think we really have. I'll have a look through mine and post later today.

Yeah, I just really wanted to get to NYC. I'd had virtually no sleep between Melbourne and LA (and very nearly missed the connecting flight at Sydney after being delayed leaving Melbourne, because a guy had an attack of flight anxiety at the last second..FMD), and LAX is a complete and utter hole.

I didn't want to hang around at that airport a second longer than I had to.

makes sense.. most peoples holidays run on the clock anyway, if one thing falls out of place it starts a snowball that loses rooms and cars and who knows whatelse!

if you are lucky enough to have an open holiday i guess you can reap the benefits

makes sense.. most peoples holidays run on the clock anyway, if one thing falls out of place it starts a snowball that loses rooms and cars and who knows whatelse!

if you are lucky enough to have an open holiday i guess you can reap the benefits
I was staying with the missus (she was doing an internship in NYC) for two weeks, so a day's delay wouldn't have been the end of the world. But, I hadn't seen her for three months, and LAX really is just about the least inspiring place I've ever been- just a quivering mass of annoyed and rushed humanity. Very little to do, either.

I'm guessing photography would be very tightly restricted in North Korea, fodzilla.
It's not too bad, given the tour is pretty tightly controlled so most of what you can see is safe enough. No photos of the military (50% of the population it seemed), no cameras at all at checkpoints and in a few buildings, a bit of protocol when a representation of a leaders is in shot, and ask for permission before you snap locals close-up. They weren't to keen on us capturing malnourished peasants once we got out of town either, but unfortunately all my photos there were shitty moving-bus jobs.

i guess travel photography is a difficult thing, unless you are going there specifically to do it.. most of the best things you see you either dont want to ruin the moment by bringing out the camera or are in a situation where the camera isnt with you anyway but im sure we all still have a few good ones.

rhino.jpg

i've always loved this one, was travelling through Sth Africa on a shoe string for the world cup. Went to Kruger with a shitty hire car cause i couldnt afford a 'safari', i was driving about chasing dead ends seeing not alot, i seemed to always arrive at places just after something had left. Gotta rememeber Kruger is the size of Wales, not just like a zoo, you can drive for ever without seeing anything if you dont know where to go.

I was kinda giving up hope and getting narky when this beast came in to view, was fairly awesome just me and nobody else in sight, looking out a car window at a rhino! one of those times i wished i was with someone to share

after this two lions just walked past my stationary car near dusk and i did see giraffe and elephants and what not but the rhino took the cake for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back