The 'he should have won' thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Grant 1997 Brownlow - umpires ruled his incident not worthy of reporting, Ian Collins personally intervened.

Chris Grant was very unlucky not to win the 98 Brownlow as well, one vote short after getting two votes in the last round after a late Mercuri(?) kick gave Essendon the win.

Andrew McLeod, after taking out the Leigh Matthews Trophy as the Player's MVP and the Malcolm Blight medal as the Crows B&F, he should have made it a trifecta with the 2001 Brownlow Medal.

21 votes at the end of round 19, 1 vote ahead of eventual winner Jason Akermanis.

R20: Leading possession getter on the ground in a 10 goal win over North Melbourne, 35 touches, 1 goal, 0 votes
R22: Clear best on ground with 37 touches, 1 goal in a 5 goal loss to Fremantle, 0 votes

Akermanis picked up 3 votes in Brisbane's 6 goal win over Geelong in R21 and pulled 2 votes clear, the rest is history.

Really? I keep hearing this from time to time from Crows supporters and it never really stacks up against the facts.

6 goal loss (not 5) to Freo

Peter Bell - 44 possies, 3 goals
Adrian Fletcher - 32 and 1
H Black - 32 and 2

McLeod was BOG for the Crows maybe (only Goodwin was the other crows player with more than 20 possies) but Bell is clearly BOG with the other two(who got the other votes) pretty much on par with McLeod. Votes to the players from the winning team. Fairly straight forward I would have thought.

Maybe you should be dark with the rest of the team for putting up a piss weak performance against the bottom ranked team that won 2 games for the year.

Really? I keep hearing this from time to time from Crows supporters and it never really stacks up against the facts.

6 goal loss (not 5) to Freo

Peter Bell - 44 possies, 3 goals
Adrian Fletcher - 32 and 1
H Black - 32 and 2

McLeod was BOG for the Crows maybe (only Goodwin was the other crows player with more than 20 possies) but Bell is clearly BOG with the other two(who got the other votes) pretty much on par with McLeod. Votes to the players from the winning team. Fairly straight forward I would have thought.

Maybe you should be dark with the rest of the team for putting up a piss weak performance against the bottom ranked team that won 2 games for the year.

Being on the winning side you can definitely understand Peter Bell picking up the 3 votes, but the fact is influence on the game isn't solely measured in number of disposals. McLeod was one of those players that if he got 30+ touches - with his speed, class and penetration you could guarantee that he had really hurt you (as was the case in that game). Adrian Fletcher and Heath Black? Not so much. You'd hope the umpires weren't so lazy as to just look at the possession totals to work out who to give the votes to but stranger things have happened.

Definitely deserving of at least 1 vote in the Freo game, and how he didn't get 3 votes in that win over North (let alone just the 1 vote) still perplexes me. I remember watching the count thinking he had it in the bag looking back on his performances in those 2 games, but unfortunately he walked away empty handed.

Brendon Goddard should have won the 2010 Norm Smith.
Tom Hawkins should have won the 2011 Norm Smith.
Dan Hannebery should have won the 2012 Norm Smith.
Jack Gunston should have won the 2013 Norm Smith.
Sam Mitchell should have won the 2014 Norm Smith.

Outstanding game from Hawkins, the beginning of him becoming a dominant player to an extent and in the context of that particular game (Podsiadly going down before half time), it was an amazing performance. But if he'd kicked a couple of the sitters that he missed, he could have sealed the medal (and the game earlier). Bartel kicked the goal that got Geelong within a kick just before half time, the goal that gave Geelong the lead for good in time on of the third and the goal that probably sealed it midway through the fourth. And they weren't exactly gimmes either. A worthy winner, but Hawkins and a couple of others would have been as well.

Jason Dunstall brownlow 92, Greg Williams 93. Andrew McLeod- he deserved to win at least one, there's plenty of seasons to choose from.

Sam Mitchell AA 2012.

Some Swans think LRT should've got the Norm Smith in 2005 over Judd, but I think Nic Fosdike was stiff, in a winning team. Not too many winners from losing teams.

Nick Riewoldt should have been holding a trophy at the end of the final games of 2009 and 2010.
Best team all year in 2009, killed by crucial umpiring decisions and little wrinkles of fate/luck.
God regretted his decision not to intervene in sport since the 1979 Harmes' incident.

Great comeback in 2010 only to be denied by Dawes clearly throwing the ball for Cloke's last goal.
Then the devil got involved when God had determined Milne would kick a famous winning goal and run up and hug Malthouse.
The devil has been in hiding ever since, and God has been to busy looking for him to attend to earthly affairs - hence all the crap in the world that's been happening lately, like ebola, ISIS, hannah montana going bad, st kilda turning to shet...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Riewoldt should have been holding a trophy at the end of the final games of 2009.
Best team all year in 2009, killed by crucial umpiring decisions and little wrinkles of fate/luck.
God regretted his decision not to intervene in sport since the 1979 Harmes' incident.

Great comeback in 2010 only to be denied by a great goal by Cloke.
Then God got involved when the devil had determined Milne would kick a famous winning goal and run up and hug Malthouse.
The devil has been in hiding ever since, and God has been to busy looking for him to attend to earthly affairs - hence all the crap in the world that's been happening lately, like ebola, ISIS, hannah montana going bad...

EFA

Chris Grant 1997 Brownlow - umpires ruled his incident not worthy of reporting, Ian Collins personally intervened..

I was at that game at Princess Park. It was against Nick Holland and my assessment was the same as the umpires. Extremely unlucky.

It was 1997 when Harvey won instead. 1996 was when McKernan was ineligible to tie with Voss and Hird due to a rather minor indiscretion if I recall correctly.

did you even watch the game? Hodge was clearly best on ground

I wouldn't say clearly. Personally thought Lewis was best upon rewatch (a number of times) but on the day thought Hodge was the best and was my guess before they presented it. Was close enough either way as the votes showed that any of the 3 could have won and been worthy. Wasn't a clear case of 'should have won' instead....... just 2 other blokes who played as equally as well as Hodge but there can only be one winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back