News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Slight Segway here, but do you really think Springfield lakes would have worked for Brisbane? It's kind of like the reverse of what Adelaide did by moving from somewhere 15km away to the CBD. I go to a few Lions games a year as its a central location for all involved. If the games were moved it would take 45mins for me to get there.

I get that Brisbane would become more financially viable to own their own ground and could make money based on lower crowds, but I worry how low those crowds would be if it ever got put back on the table.
The stadium would probably only have hosted preseason games. It would also have been used by public for various things. Maybe one or two regular season games only. The big thing they wanted, as does hawthorn, is to position themselves in the heart of the population growth centre.

Drove nearby today en route from Keysborough to Hampton.
Westall Rd to Heatherton to Old Dandenong.

1. The Dingley Bypass project is taking shape very quickly.
2. Rolled down my windows to be confronted by the distinct smell of free agency and premierships.

It's been a big week in art... with Jim Pavlidis
Date
June 27, 2015

Jim Pavlidis
Visual Journalist
View more articles from Jim Pavlidis
1435393761183.jpg

Clarko and co are in a universe different to the other clubs.

"I have seen the future and it works."

So wrote American journalist Lincoln Steffens in 1931, six years after Hawthorn joined the VFL.

1435393761183.jpg

The Jetsons.

While it might have been Communism, and not Aussie Rules footy that the controversial scribe had in mind, the fact remains that the Hawks back then were the future of football, a position that remains unchanged in 2015 given the club's recent multi-million dollar sponsorship deals and planned relocation to Dingley.

While most other AFL clubs are mired in an antiquated world resembling that of The Flintstones, Alastair Clarkson and co zip around in a galaxy that could be straight out of Hanna-Barbera's other classic cartoon, The Jetsons.

As for the "pressure" footy folk are constantly moaning about, it would be eased by adopting George Jetson's working week: one hour a day, two days a week.

I see The Age Scribes have been ripping our boards off again for ideas.:rolleyes:

Boutique Stadium?

The AFL is set to take full ownership of Docklands in 2025. That is now down to only 10 years away.
Correct me if I'm wrong but are they also considering the option of bringing that date forward with an early payout?
The AFL could conceivably own a clean boutique stadium before we even get Dingly up and running....

Obviously this would be funded through media rights:
2012-2016 $1.25b
2017-2021 $1.6b??
2022 onwards.... $2+billion??
2017-2022 $2.508 billion

To paraphrase today..
"We are significantly closer to owning this stadium outright" (Etihad)

Location is a pretty important factor in whether a boutique stadium would ever work

Pity that we didn't get the Hawthorn Council to buy us the Hawthorn Brickworks in 1972

The Fritsch Holzer park has been a tip itself and would be the sort of location that would work for a boutique stadium -on 3 tram routes and the train line that best services Hawthorn supporters & most importantly in the right suburb...

Won't happen though

Sorry to butt in but you could still do that, if the plans were drawn up to allow the locals to still be able to walk their dogs and some of the greenly was protected, the center area in winter is often a bog and there is an oval at the Camberwell end of it, although I could never see a small stadium being developed on the site.

Sorry to butt in but you could still do that, if the plans were drawn up to allow the locals to still be able to walk their dogs and some of the greenly was protected, the center area in winter is often a bog and there is an oval at the Camberwell end of it, although I could never see a small stadium being developed on the site.

It'd be handy. Could almost watch a game without leaving home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too far from Morrabin Airport. Could be good for overseas supporters. Fly to Melbourne Airport, then take a small plane to Morrabin, dollowed be a short taxi or bus.;)

Wimp! Just parachute out of the plane as it flies over. There's a whole oval or two (or maybe three?) to aim for. :D

I think this move could be the first truly bad one the club has made for a while. I used to work out in Dingley, and I don't think the environment is conducive to health - lots of traffic, including trucks. It's an industrial area, and I heard that the new ground is being built on the site of a previous garbage dump.

I remember them suggesting somewhere around Vermont, at first (Dandenong Valley Parklands?). I think this would have been a much better option.

I think this move could be the first truly bad one the club has made for a while. I used to work out in Dingley, and I don't think the environment is conducive to health - lots of traffic, including trucks. It's an industrial area, and I heard that the new ground is being built on the site of a previous garbage dump.

I remember them suggesting somewhere around Vermont, at first (Dandenong Valley Parklands?). I think this would have been a much better option.

Afaik there are strict health requirements to be satisfied before ex landfill areas can be built upon.

It's an industrial area, and I heard that the new ground is being built on the site of a previous garbage dump.

Health requirments haved to be meet before anything happens and waverley park was built on grazing lands what's your point?

Last edited:
Health requirments haved to be meet before anything happens and waverley park was built on grazing lands what's your point?

My point is that I don't think it's a good move. What's your point? That it is? That it's OK?

Health requirements yadayada. Have you been to Dingley? Terrible vibe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back