The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

So it does look like Kanye will be touring April/May apparently tickets go on sale on the 21st

Man, hip hop is in crisis right now.

When is the last time anybody copped a decent album? Kendrick Lamar and Horrorshow are all I can think of in the past few years... If I want to bump some beats I've gotta go back to the 90s- early 2000's to find the good stuff. Problem is, the music isn't aging so well. Or maybe that Redman album just doesn't do it for me after the 200th spin.

When is the last time anybody copped a decent album? Kendrick Lamar and Horrorshow are all I can think of in the past few years... If I want to bump some beats I've gotta go back to the 90s- early 2000's to find the good stuff. Problem is, the music isn't aging so well. Or maybe that Redman album just doesn't do it for me after the 200th spin.
Depends what type of hip hop you're looking for to be honest. There's a wide range of it available, whether it be grimy, horrorcore, underground, alternate, and so forth.

I don't have an issue with music 'ageing badly.' I mean of course it sounds like the time it was released in. There's plenty of reasons for that. To avoid it would be pretty, pretty rare. I actually like venturing back to the those late 80s and 1990s albums and songs and hearing the sound. I'm a sucker for zeitgeists though.

The latest rap and hip hop stuff I've been into is Yeezus and Nothing Was the Same (I don't think you should discount rap just because it crosses over – I think Kanye's a bit of a bitch but he still forms some pretty stunning LPs). Drake's crossover ability has rendered him uncool in these parts, but like I care. A$AP Ferg was a bit boring as an album but singularly it had some good moments. It was a bit trashy in places but overall I dug it. A$AP Ferg cultivated a nice sound, but it reminded me a lot of Earl in his samples. Still a good album.

Also, do you know Rejjie Snow? Some young punk from London. He hasn't put out an album yet but I like him. Quietly anticipating a good album from him. Anyway, he did this album with a few other guys (including King Krule) which is just really intensely atmospheric, late night rap.

The Earl album was another step up for him as well – the man just rhymes so well and has such an ability to tell a story. His diction is staggering, I'm always impressed by something new every time I spin it.

Did anyone here get into those De La Soul downloads? I grabbed Stakes Is High as I hadn't heard it. Suitably impressed. Potentially rivalling 3 Feet High for me – what a seriously underrated group. I've been rinsing Dinninit for a day or two, it's a really cool atmosphere they've carved out.

Last edited:

Expand your exploration of the genre mayhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expand your exploration of the genre mayhaps?

I've tried. Trust me... Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Doppelgangaz are holding it down. Anything from High Focus is dope.

Seriously though, I've paid for so many albums and have just gone "meh".

Not really feeling Delta's new joint either.

I've tried. Trust me... Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Doppelgangaz are holding it down. Anything from High Focus is dope.

Seriously though, I've paid for so many albums and have just gone "meh".

Not really feeling Delta's new joint either.
Run The Jewels by El P and Killer Mike? Anything by El P?

Tried Rhyme Asylum? Best lyricists in the game IMO. Give them a try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Run The Jewels and Acid Rap are both great; and will cost you combined $0.00.

long.live.asap was good fun, Pusha T's My Name Is My Name was all kinds of nasty. Danny Brown was awesome.

That was just last year, hip-hop is as good as it ever was.

Anyone trying to find new artists to get into or wants to read reviews of certain albums, I highly recommend this blog: http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com.au/. He doesn't always get it spot on but from what I've read he's pretty accurate and doesn't give a s**t whether an album is critically acclaimed or not. Absolutely ripped into Yeezus.

Updates it pretty regularly and has covered a shitload of albums in the 7 years it's been operating.

I don't think anyone can really top my extensive hip-hop taste.

groups:
A Tribe Called Quest
Army of the Pharaohs
Jedi Mind Tricks
Snowgoonz
La Coka Nostra
Demigodz
Wu-Tang Clan
NWA
Mobb Deep
Insane Clown Posse
Twiztid
Atmosphere

singles:
Necro
Mr. Hyde
Eminem
Apathy
Aesop Rock
Vinnie Paz
Ill Bill
Celph Titled
Sabac Red
Goretex
Planetary
Crypt The Warchild
Das Efx
Reef The Lost Cauze
7L
Esoteric
Nems

Yes I know there is many more I could add but I only mentioned the people I have full discographies of.

Definitely a great collection there...we would definitely be on the same wave length when it comes to hip hooooop.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone can really top my extensive hip-hop taste.

groups:
A Tribe Called Quest
Army of the Pharaohs
Jedi Mind Tricks
Snowgoonz
La Coka Nostra
Demigodz
Wu-Tang Clan
NWA
Mobb Deep
Insane Clown Posse
Twiztid
Atmosphere

singles:
Necro
Mr. Hyde
Eminem
Apathy
Aesop Rock
Vinnie Paz
Ill Bill
Celph Titled
Sabac Red
Goretex
Planetary
Crypt The Warchild
Das Efx
Reef The Lost Cauze
7L
Esoteric
Nems

Yes I know there is many more I could add but I only mentioned the people I have full discographies of.

ICP? LMAO you're taste sucks just for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back