Discussion The history of the lace up jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

HERES THE PICS I THINK ITS 1944 1945 COMBINED PORT ADELAIDE WITH WEST TORRENS IN 1944

Attachments

• IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    795.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    823.9 KB · Views: 165
HERES THE PICS I THINK ITS 1944 1945 COMBINED PORT ADELAIDE WITH WEST TORRENS IN 1944
Don't think it's a Port jumper. That looks too modern to be a 1940s jumper and apparently Port wore this between 1932 and 1946:

Port-1932.gif

Mero, help?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They look like plastic numbers machine sewn onto the back.
That points to this being 1960s at the earliest, because, as far as I'm aware, plastic numbers weren't available until then.
I can't imagine it was from before 1952 when Port started wearing the prison bars.

If you'd said it was Bert Chapman or Jack Green's Collingwood jumper from 62-66 and 68-69 respectively I'd have no argument, though I would be interested in provenance.
I'd even accept a 73-77 to Swan Districts jumper.
I just can't place Port wearing that design in an era when that jumper was able to be made.

They look like plastic numbers machine sewn onto the back.
That points to this being 1960s at the earliest, because, as far as I'm aware, plastic numbers weren't available until then.
I can't imagine it was from before 1952 when Port started wearing the prison bars.

If you'd said it was Bert Chapman or Jack Green's Collingwood jumper from 62-66 and 68-69 respectively I'd have no argument, though I would be interested in provenance.
I'd even accept a 73-77 to Swan Districts jumper.
I just can't place Port wearing that design in an era when that jumper was able to be made.

Swan Districts had a club logo of a swan in a triangle with the tips squared off in that era?

In February 1970 Vic Hill measured me up at the Adelaide Teachers College ARFC pre-season training and made a lace up jumper carrying the number 135.

He told me he'd just returned form Melbourne and had measured up the Hawthorn (I think) club. As we were impoverished students he made them at a bulk discount for the club.
I trained in it when I played for PNG University in Moresby in 1975--it was cooler than a jumper and was the only ;lace up in the Moresby league. The PNG players were amazed by it.

We threw it out in about 2013. It was still in good nick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back