"The home of football"

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Is that really a good enough reason to hold the Grand Final there every year, no matter who finishes on top of the ladder?

For all the talk of equalisation these days, this is often a topic that gets overlooked. If those championing equalisation want to be taken seriously then they have to also instigate change here. Whoever finished higher out of two Grand Final combatants gets to play the game at their home ground. Doesn't matter if that means the game is played at the GABBA, Patersons or the MCG.

It's not the VFL anymore, and you can't be giving Victorian clubs such a huge advantage over the interstate clubs by guaranteeing that they'll be playing the GF on their home ground and won't have to travel each and every year. This isn't just a Swans complaint, it's going to be a problem for all interstate sides at point or another.

inb4 some like whoring cola comment in first post.

A very cool tradition I think, but I'm genuinely surprised one of those Swans - Eagles Grannies never ended up going to Homebush. It's the kind of thing the AFL would do...

It's not really that big of an advantage;

1991 - Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 - West Coast d Geelong
1994 - West Coast d Geelong
1996 - North d Sydney
1997 - Adelaide d St. Kilda
1998 - Adelaide d North
2001 - Brisbane d Essendon
2002 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Freo

Victorians - 4 wins
Non-Victorian - 8 wins

Is that really a good enough reason to hold the Grand Final there every year, no matter who finishes on top of the ladder?

For all the talk of equalisation these days, this is often a topic that gets overlooked. If those championing equalisation want to be taken seriously then they have to also instigate change here. Whoever finished higher out of two Grand Final combatants gets to play the game at their home ground. Doesn't matter if that means the game is played at the GABBA, Patersons or the MCG.

It's not the VFL anymore, and you can't be giving Victorian clubs such a huge advantage over the interstate clubs by guaranteeing that they'll be playing the GF on their home ground and won't have to travel each and every year. This isn't just a Swans complaint, it's going to be a problem for all interstate sides at point or another.

Build a stadium that holds 100,000.

Victorian sides who have defeated an interstate side at the MCG in a GF.

Hawks 2013
Geelong 2007
North 1996

Interstate sides who have defeated a victorian side at the MCG in a GF.

Sydney 2012
Brisbane 2003
Brisbane 2002
Brisbane 2001
Adelaide 1998
Adelaide 1997
West Coast 1994
West Coast 1992

Clearly there is no advantage

It's not really that big of an advantage;

1991 - Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 - West Coast d Geelong
1994 - West Coast d Geelong
1996 - North d Sydney
1997 - Adelaide d St. Kilda
1998 - Adelaide d North
2001 - Brisbane d Essendon
2002 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Freo

Victorians - 4 wins
Non-Victorian - 8 wins

Ninja'd me

Also 1991 was played at Waverly if that counts for anything

You'd prefer it at the utter shithole that is ANZ Stadium?

Like it or not, the MCG is this country's finest sporting stadium.

And the Grand Final will remain there for many years to come.

I like it there and I don't think it's that big an advantage. When you talk home field advantage you're talking about one club having a bigger crowd of fans there and knowledge of the ground. The fans are roughly even in the GF and it's not like we never play at the G and it's an alien ground to us.

Could you imagine how chaotic it would be, not knowing where the Grand Final was going to be held until prelim week?
AFL books out two hotels in Melbourne for the GF every year in case of interstate sides. It's not practically possible only deciding the GF venue a week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Build a stadium that holds 100,000.

Why should that be the criteria?

All the major sporting events around the world don't need 100,000 stadiums, why is the AFL so special?

World Cup final - 75k
European Champions League picks a host city - Last year was London Wembley (90k) the year before was Munich (60k)
Super Bowl - 80k

Edit - Just rotate it? Hell, do it just once every 5 years.

Why should that be the criteria?

All the major sporting events around the world don't need 100,000 stadiums, why is the AFL so special?

World Cup final - 75k
European Champions League picks a host city - Last year was London Wembley (90k) the year before was Munich (60k)
Super Bowl - 80k
Because there's that many people who want to go?

Why hold it at Adelaide Oval (for example) when only half that amount can get in?

Because there's that many people who want to go?

Why hold it at Adelaide Oval (for example) when only half that amount can get in?

Too bad?

I want to go to the Grand Final each year but I also don't want to spend 2k travelling to Melbourne every September.

Too bad?

I want to go to the Grand Final each year but I also don't want to spend 2k travelling to Melbourne every September.
Much cheaper to travel to Sydney I assume.

Too bad?

It's hard enough getting a ticket to the GF these days, without halving the number that are available by playing in a 50K capacity venue.

Too bad?

So basically "Screw 50,000 people, I want to save $2k on the off chance WC make the GF"?

Sound argument.

So basically "Screw 50,000 people, I want to save $2k on the off chance WC make the GF"?

Sound argument.

Who said anything about WC playing in it? I might like to just go and see it for the sake of doing it? Any year I pick i'll still have to incur the same cost.

Just wouldn't feel like a GF if it wasn't at the MCG, the GF in 1991 at Waverley was awful.

ANZ is the only other ground with the capacity to host it but that shouldn't even be a finals venue let alone a GF venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back