Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showbags

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Ham Utd
I wish you all the happiness in the world Kirsti.

My only objection to this whole thing is they (the gay lobby group) want a new Act without any reference whatsoever to a “man” or a “woman”. They want no reference to a “bride” or a “groom”, only gender neutral titles are to be used such as “people” or “persons”.

I am, you are, we all are, not gender neutral.

They are proposing to pass a simple amendment changing the wording to a piece of legislation.

The fact that the "anti gay lobby" continually have to throw into the debate these silly slippery slope type arguments shows the relative weakness of their position.

Same sex unions need to be called something other than a Marriage, As the term for Marriage is a union between a man and a woman and already taken.

It doesn't bother me either way, but I'm probably in the "civil unions for all" camp because I think it's a middle ground that provides equality.

Marriage means different things to different people. A change in law isn't going to alter that. So leave it up to individuals to make those sort of determinations about what marriage is. Then the fundies can have their versions of marriage and LGBT's can have their versions of marriage and the lapsed Catholics can have their versions of marriage and life can go on.

Same sex unions need to be called something other than a Marriage, As the term for Marriage is a union between a man and a woman and already taken.
It's a legal status as defined by law and laws can be changed.

I wish you all the happiness in the world Kirsti.

My only objection to this whole thing is they (the gay lobby group) want a new Act without any reference whatsoever to a “man” or a “woman”. They want no reference to a “bride” or a “groom”, only gender neutral titles are to be used such as “people” or “persons”.

I am, you are, we all are, not gender neutral.
Yes I defiantly am not gender neutral I am in no doubt about my gender but sometimes I do enjoy being a man, now that I am a woman

I suggest the new marriage act should define marriage between to consenting adults over the age of 21. Any marriage ceremony can have two wives, two husbands or one of each and marriage certificates can reflect all of these combinations.

To suggest same sex people can't partake in a marriage because it is already taken is ridiculous how is it going to effect opposite sex couples if Nikki and I also marry?

I enjoy discussing this pressing issue more so with people that object to ssm but the sooner it can become a subject of the past the better for everyone.

Last edited:
So you don't know the history of the legal side of marriage
Maybe stop discussing it then.

hahaha well men and women do have drastically different sex drives know one knows this better than me. Two males together make sense as do two females.

Whose do you think is higher? In my experience it varies by age with older women just as horny as younger men.

Any gov't/politician that ignores a definitive decision (10+ point margin) from the plebiscite would have to be stupid ... will at least open up the chance for a conscience vote.

Also note the only side that can win the pleb by a definitive margin is the pro GM side.
About four or five weeks ago, a member of the religious nutters clique (can't remember who, might have been Bernardi) stated that even if the referendum passes, they will still vote against it in the parliament, if a majority of voters in their electorate votes against the proposition in the plebiscite. If the plebiscite passes in the parliament, let's hope these imbeciles will see no reason to continue living in a world in which their views are rendered irrelevant. If they have any integrity (big call, I know) they should repair immediately to their preferred, other world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two questions
1.Why 21?
2.What about people that don't consider SSM to be a pressing issue?
1. I feel at 21 most people area alot more mature than when they were 18, at 18 I thought I was an adult but when I turned 21 I realised I was not.

Marriage I believe is a lifetime commitment between two consenting adults. I defiantly wasn't ready for a life sentence at 18.

2. It won't affect them at all.

You honestly don't know about our growing awareness of the difference between physical sexual characteristics and gender identity?
Dumb rhetorical question. I know about it. It looks to me to be a convenient political position depending on the argument made: eg gender is a construct, while sexuality is immutable from birth. Some logical consistency would be great.

I included the question mark to indicate it was a question.
I quoted you to indicate that they were questions I was asking you.

In was in reference to your comment about binary gender and its relation to sexual reproduction.
They look like rhetorical questions.

What separates men and women, regardless of procreation abilities, is a complex interaction of hormones, physiology and bio chemistry. I don't doubt there are a tiny number edge cases where that interaction produces people who don't conform, but the standard and norm is binary.

They look like rhetorical questions.

What separates men and women, regardless of procreation abilities, is a complex interaction of hormones, physiology and bio chemistry. I don't doubt there are a tiny number edge cases where that interaction produces people who don't conform, but the standard and norm is binary.
So you agree that it isn't binary. Which is what Chief said.

So you agree that it isn't binary. Which is what Chief said.
But it is.

Some people are born with tails, but we don't consider humans a species that has tails. Some people are born with polydactylism but we say people have five fingers on each hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back