Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered an item of clothing online last week from Puerto Rico. Following the tracking it took a total of 4 days to go from PR and depart Los Angeles via Miami. It arrived at the Adelaide sorting facility 3 days ago and the parcel post guy has already been past my house today. Even assuming it arrives tomorrow (which I doubt) that would mean it's taken as long to get from the Australia Post sorting facility in Adelaide to my door as it took to go from PR, Miami and Los Angeles.

Australia Post - Powering Online Delivery indeed.

Ordered an item of clothing online last week from Puerto Rico. Following the tracking it took a total of 4 days to go from PR and depart Los Angeles via Miami. It arrived at the Adelaide sorting facility 3 days ago and the parcel post guy has already been past my house today. Even assuming it arrives tomorrow (which I doubt) that would mean it's taken as long to get from the Australia Post sorting facility in Adelaide to my door as it took to go from PR, Miami and Los Angeles.

Australia Post - Powering Online Delivery indeed.

Just remember, postal workers have guns and your address. ;)

My Aus Post guy is a legend. Friendly Geordie Port supporter. Always stops for a chat even when he's busy. I feel sorry for him this time of year.

My Aus Post guy is a legend. Friendly Geordie Port supporter. Always stops for a chat even when he's busy. I feel sorry for him this time of year.

My post guy is awesome too. Those guys are treated like s**t by AP. They're all contractors. That work is hardcore. In the 6 months I was doing it a few years ago I saw two nervous breakdowns.
The posties who deliver the letters on scooters get it easy. They're all AP hourly paid employees with all the entitlements that come with that.
If I was too sick to work the onus was on me to find someone to deliver the parcels that day. Thankfully I never got sick. But we didn't only deliver the parcels, we had to seperate them and then sort them into delivery order.....house by house. At Xmas time you'd be doing at least 300 per day for the two weeks leading up, 7 days per week. The letter guys had people sort all their mail for them. Then they'd sometimes all have a day off and AP would make the parcel contractors deliver all their express mail envelopes because the posties weren't working that day and the envelopes had to get delivered because they were next day express delivery.
That was a truly eye opening experience.

My post guy is awesome too. Those guys are treated like s**t by AP. They're all contractors. That work is hardcore. In the 6 months I was doing it a few years ago I saw two nervous breakdowns.
The posties who deliver the letters on scooters get it easy. They're all AP hourly paid employees with all the entitlements that come with that.
If I was too sick to work the onus was on me to find someone to deliver the parcels that day. Thankfully I never got sick. But we didn't only deliver the parcels, we had to seperate them and then sort them into delivery order.....house by house. At Xmas time you'd be doing at least 300 per day for the two weeks leading up, 7 days per week. The letter guys had people sort all their mail for them. Then they'd sometimes all have a day off and AP would make the parcel contractors deliver all their express mail envelopes because the posties weren't working that day and the envelopes had to get delivered because they were next day express delivery.
That was a truly eye opening experience.

You have heard of the term 'going postal'?

I like how people complain about video games. It make me even happier to know I am a Wii U owner.

Mario Kart is the bestest thing in the world.
Mario Kart is the only reason I want a Wii U, but I can't justify buying a console for one game. I'm sure I'll cave one day and impulse buy one.

I re-discovered a free pc game I used to play, Stranded 2. I didn't think it would work on 64 bit Win7, but there you go...been giving it a hammering

Mario Kart is the only reason I want a Wii U, but I can't justify buying a console for one game. I'm sure I'll cave one day and impulse buy one.

Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World and Super Smash Brothers are also good reasons to own a Wii U. Oh! and Amiibos are awesome!

Also, a new Zelda and Starfox is coming out next year. That alone should warrant buying the console.

Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World and Super Smash Brothers are also good reasons to own a Wii U. Oh! and Amiibos are awesome!

Also, a new Zelda and Starfox is coming out next year. That alone should warrant buying the console.
Stop reminding about those games! If I forget they exist, I can live in blissful ignorance. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, Postal was a pretty awesome game back in the day.

Loved how you could walk straight up to Gary Coleman, unzip your strides and piss in his face.

Then he went boonta with a machine gun...

Just finished watching Thrilla in Manila on ABC2. I forgot how brutal that 3rd Ali v Frazier fight was - especially Rd 14. Ali told Angelo Dundee to cut off his gloves and Frazier couldnt see. Frazie's trainer stopped the fight just before Rd 15 was about to start, Ali got up to celebrate but collapsed and was on the canvas for over a minute. One of the journos said he asked Frazier's trainer a few months after the fight if he regretted stopping the fight. He said no - he had seen 8 fighters die - went thru in detail how it happened and said he didnt want to see a 9th. Cant helieve I havent seen this doco. Went thru the first two fights and background stuff.

Next Saturday - When we were kings and Saturday after that Facing Ali.

All great docos. SBS usually roll out the Thrilla in Manila every few months. It's frightening what the two fighters went through. They left the best part of themselves back in that ring. A brutal fight and build up. It's sad that Ali taunted Frazier so cruelly that it forever destroyed the friendship they had back in the 1960s and any respect between the two.

The Norman Mailer book 'The Fight' about the Ali v Foreman Rumble in the Jungle is a fantastic companion read to When We Were Kings.

Last edited:
Just read the story in yesterdays Tsier that the nutcase in Sydney last week probably targeted ch7 rather than the coffee shop. Ch 7 security footage has him pacing around Sunrise Alley - at 8-30am. He was probably scared off by the heavy security. Makes sense he would take a TV/news studio over to maximize getting his rantings and ravings out there to the world.

Would have been even more strange if it was Kochie and co. we were watching as hostages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back