Universal Love The "I was wrong about Hardwick" confession thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2007
Queensland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hull City
This thread needs to be made.

Sorry for the length of this post, but please hear me out here, I know the DH haters still exist, because I was (for a period of time) one of them.

It could have been made when we beat Fremantle in Perth, and it could also have been made when we beat Sydney at the SCG.

But tonight seems like the right time to finally fess up, and say that earlier in the year, I got it wrong.

Between 2010 and 2014, despite the two early exits from finals, I was always a Hardwick supporter, and believed he was the right man for the job. My argument for this was simple - every year, he'd improved this team, and made us a competitive unit.

The question I had about him coming into this season was, could he take us to the next level, and have us competing among the best. And I'll admit, after the Round 2 loss to the Bulldogs, and then a few weeks later that insipid performance against Melbourne, I believed the answer to this question was "no".

It's very clear now that in 2013, despite beating Hawthorn and Fremantle that year, we weren't mature enough. Our defence couldn't stop runs of goals, and whilst our attack in that year was superior, it was those costly lapses in games that stopped us from being a genuine chance. Plus the occasion of making finals for the first time in 12 years, this club simply wasn't ready for the big stage.

That loss made Hardwick re-evaluate the direction he was taking us, and something I've said since early this year, is that I feel it "spooked" him into making changes. Now it seemed as if he was pulling the trigger early, and by reverting us to a more controlled method of play, it cost us against some teams in early 2014, and unfortunately we were learning on the job on the way to a 3-10 start to the year.

Then, it STARTED to click.

I say "started" because, whilst we won that infamous 9 in a row, we STILL weren't matured enough to make any real September impact yet, and we spent all our petrol tickets building that winning streak, and not accepting a place outside of the Top 8. Consequently, we got smashed in the Elimination Final by a rampant Port, who I say to this day, would have not lost to anybody on that day.

Then 2015 rolled around, and we started the year 2-4, and it looked like it was going to get ugly again. But after that North loss, you could sense a change. It wasn't disappointment anymore in Hardwick, it was ANGER at losing, and ANGER at this playing group not doing what they were told.

And that's when the penny dropped for this group.

Hardwick called them out. He answered the critics by saying that "we can beat anybody", and he put his neck on the line. People on here, and in the media, scoffed at him, saying how the "holes" in the list were too many and too deep. We were also-rans, who needed to sack the coach, and rebuild the list again.

I never believed the list was bad, in-fact the quality of our list was my great white hope at this point. I did, however, believe that Hardwick's time was up, and that he should be sacked.

I was wrong.

We haven't won a final yet. We haven't even guaranteed a place in the Top 8 yet. But what I've seen from this club since Round 6 is REAL and GENUINE, and Hardwick's ideas, whilst they have seemed scattered and unsure at times, have all started to come together.

Ironically, the big hit on Hardwick during some of the leaner times of the past 24 months has been "No Plan B", when in-fact what he's been doing is actually building that very thing.

This team is now the real deal because we don't simply rely on one style of game-play anymore. As annoying as that "chip chip" nonsense was in early 2014, it now makes perfect sense what Hardwick was doing. He was training us, in match, how to control possession of the ball, because he knew that in order for us to get to the next level, we needed a way to stifle Hawthorn, the ultimate pace-setters of attack.

I thought highly of Hardwick for most of his tenure, but the faith wavered and almost disappeared early in 2015. But I get what he was trying to do now, and this match against Hawthorn is the end product.

We just kept a team who was averaging 127 points per game in the last 2 months of footy, to 53 points, and we did it by MAINTAINING POSSESSION!

Hardwick, I was wrong. Whatever happens this season, you clearly DO know what you're doing mate, and tonight was proof of that.

This footy club is in good hands. :thumbsu:

Does anybody else need to confess? :p

One big thing he has been criticised for was that he wasn't a good match day coach. I can tell you now that he is a good match day coach. No coach that wins 3/5 games against the top 4 teams (not including Richmond of course) with only 1 of those losses being a comfortable loss is a terrible match day coach.

Honestly, I wanted him out of the door right then and there after Round 6. Looking back, how shocking of a decision would that have been if the club listened to us?

The club stood by him and said that they believed he was a good coach when supporters of Richmond and the opposition, including the "media experts" said he was a dud and should be replaced.

Goes to show that the clubs knows what they are doing, and that it is us who do not know.

The boys came out at the start of the year and say we play for dimma Carlton said the same about mick but the boys have shown it to be true. Just look at there reaction to him when we win they love him. He has out coached Ross,horse,skh and Clarko deserves an extension.

One big thing he has been criticised for was that he wasn't a good match day coach. I can tell you now that he is a good match day coach. No coach that wins 3/5 games against the top 4 teams (not including Richmond of course) with only 1 of those losses being a comfortable loss is a terrible match day coach.

Honestly, I wanted him out of the door right then and there after Round 6. Looking back, how shocking of a decision would that have been if the club listened to us?

The club stood by him and said that they believed he was a good coach when supporters of Richmond and the opposition, including the "media experts" said he was a dud and should be replaced.

Goes to show that the clubs knows what they are doing, and that it is us who do not know.

See, in hindsight, I don't think he's ever actually been a poor match-day coach, I think he's had a view to the longer term, and has wanted to persist with the plans he had in place, because he felt that when it "clicked", the style he was drilling into us would produce what it is currently producing.

He could probably have pulled the trigger in individual matches to stop the tide, but I'm starting to see that he's a long-term thinker, which is what has made Clarkson so damn good.

When Clarko was coaching the Hawks in 2009/2010 when they were under-performing after that surprise flag in 2008, he had an eye to what he wanted his Hawks to be in the 2012-2015 period, and I think Hardwick is similar in that sense.

In other words, he's willing to sacrifice a bit of the present, for the future gains we will see.

Those close losses in 2012 near the end of the year, and also that chip chip stuff from early 2014 that cost us games, it was heartbreaking at the time, but the lesson's and tactics we've learned from those times are winning us matches of footy at the moment against the very best sides.

We're by no means finished our development, even last week with the Houli kick-in, it was gut-wrenching, but in a way we've taken a fair bit out of that game in regards to attitude and desire, in my opinion, that may help us in the weeks, and even years to come.

He's a better coach than I ever game him credit for. :)

I stuck through thick and thin for 5 years and then 6 games in to this year I started to have serious doubts, Dimma sure as s**t proved me wrong:thumbsu:

His coaching of late is as good as anyone, even last year to bring us back from the dead was quite an achievement, now we have to win a damn final, he deserves it IMO.

He is an elite coach of the competition. He's genuinely won us a few games this year. I don't love everything about him but I sure as hell love him at the moment. Taking us from rock bottom in 2009 to where we are now. Improvement isn't meant to be linear but ours has actually pretty much been. I would absolutely love to see him hold the cup up for us. He's passionate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, in hindsight, I don't think he's ever actually been a poor match-day coach, I think he's had a view to the longer term, and has wanted to persist with the plans he had in place, because he felt that when it "clicked", the style he was drilling into us would produce what it is currently producing.

He could probably have pulled the trigger in individual matches to stop the tide, but I'm starting to see that he's a long-term thinker, which is what has made Clarkson so damn good.

When Clarko was coaching the Hawks in 2009/2010 when they were under-performing after that surprise flag in 2008, he had an eye to what he wanted his Hawks to be in the 2012-2015 period, and I think Hardwick is similar in that sense.

In other words, he's willing to sacrifice a bit of the present, for the future gains we will see.

Those close losses in 2012 near the end of the year, and also that chip chip stuff from early 2014 that cost us games, it was heartbreaking at the time, but the lesson's and tactics we've learned from those times are winning us matches of footy at the moment against the very best sides.

We're by no means finished our development, even last week with the Houli kick-in, it was gut-wrenching, but in a way we've taken a fair bit out of that game in regards to attitude and desire, in my opinion, that may help us in the weeks, and even years to come.

He's a better coach than I ever game him credit for. :)
Yeah, some of the decisions and comments he made were ridiculed when the team were playing badly, but then either rang true or really worked out.

Like, the vision of a three-tall forward line. They didn't work last year, but he went with it this year again. It sure worked, especially in the Fremantle game.

Or when he knew that Richmond could beat anyone on their day in the earlier rounds. We were absolutely laughing our heads off at that comment, and so were others. Well, did he prove that this year. Defeated Fremantle in Perth when they were on a 9 game winning streak, overcame Sydney after a 32-point deficit to win by 18 and then defeated Hawthorn after they smashed two top 4 sides at that time in Fremantle and Sydney by 72 and 89 points respectively, and then gave Carlton their worst loss ever. On top of that, they brought in a fairly strong side against us

Always supported the coach big time then jumped off his wagon myself.. very happy to say I was wrong as well.
We still have a ways to go but I just really enjoy the way we play, the players we have, and Dimma as a coach and a bloke.
I do sometimes wish he would speak more clearly and literally instead of speaking in "phrases" but very very pleased and reckon the club is well and truly in a great place. Kudos to Dimma, to Benny and Peggy, and to the players. Let's see how far we can go this year! Carn the mighty Tiges!

We're willing to bake him when we think he does stuff wrong, but we also need to be willing to acknowledge when he's getting the job done, and since Round 6, he's been kicking arse and taking names as a coach.

I just want RFC success, Hardwick or No Hardwick, but at the moment I feel as if Hardwick has a good chance to make something happen.

Keep kicking goals Dimma! :thumbsu:

I have always been a big supporter of Hardwick until about our loss to Melbourne or Geelong earlier this year. It may have only been for a few rounds of the season but I had briefly lost faith in him and I'm willing to put my hand up for that. Thankfully he has proven me wrong since. Unless if we fall into a heap and miss finals, I would go as far to say he has been our best coach since the 80's.

As fans we can speculate, and make calls one way or another, but the clear message that I'm getting from Dimma and co. at the moment is that they KNOW that nothing has been achieved yet.

To use a Bruce McAvaney-ism to make my point:

"You feel that the Tigers of 2013/2014 were probably happy to just BE there in the 8, don't you?"

Well this isn't the case in 2015, Dimma and our boys have genuine expectations of themselves now, and they also genuinely believe that they're good enough.

We want Top 4.

Hardwick called them out. He answered the critics by saying that "we can beat anybody", and he put his neck on the line. People on here, and in the media, scoffed at him, saying how the "holes" in the list were too many and too deep. We were also-rans, who needed to sack the coach, and rebuild the list again.
Or when he knew that Richmond could beat anyone on their day in the earlier rounds. We were absolutely laughing our heads off at that comment, and so were others. Well, did he prove that this year.
circa 2004. A Geelong loss to St Kilda, prolly at Docklands. Paul Chapman said to the media that they were better than Saints. Just after the loss. This is prolly when Grant Thomas had a St Kilda up and about and destined, they had an AA Luke Ball, Nick Reiwoldt, Dal Santo. Geelong had... well, Geelong had no one. (this is 2004 we are talking about). Scarlett was not going to become GOAT, Ablett jnr was a forward pocket with no endurance and Steven Milne a preferable player.

devil's advocate. Could the "ordinary" talents on Richmond, rise with the rising ocean, like Titch Edwards has? A gross 100% addition of a Treloar, a Motlop, and a Yarran is potentially waaaaay significant. The net add is potentially waaaaaay significant, and if an error prone player netted on the out, it is more significant than the gross add. But, this is the devil's advocate here... bare with me.

Does Hardwick have enough potential left latent (/grammar, sort of a pleonasm there), does Dimma have more build within this group, AND... if you introduce other players, who no doubt, are pre-Freo Colin Sylvia types who demand a position because of their reputation and a Sheehan top50 level of performance they bring,

,,, could they disturb the alchemy, the secret culture Dimma has constructed, the playing group esprit de corps. This phrase is incorrect, but "lose the playing group", could you substitute out "willingness", for "team esprit de corps".

i suppose the thesis returns to Hawthorn in the 80s and the champion team appellation. And, compare it to the Free Market swans of last year with a top heavy Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin. Their "net" add sums looked sparkling and frightening on paper. And hypothetically, they could be a nightmare for any backline. And Franklin and Tippett, more so Buddy, have the agility and facility to play the new forward game that Jeremy Cameron and McCarthy at GWS play, and Reiwoldt albeit without the athleticism as sprinter, has become adept at.

so, my point. p'raps, they dont need Treloar and Motlop and Yarran. Tho the latter two would be good for speed, and add wheels. But speed merely for speed, can tick a box on a hypothetical formula, but as long as it can be integrated, all it is is a hypothetical box, even if it looks great on Saturdays on the wing.

/said enough (more than enough)

Last edited:
Like most i had my doubts and was banging on about him going but i'm glad he has turned it around. I can see now that the easy games we have lost is due to the player's commitment to the cause and not his. I mean what houli did last week for one i'm sure he didn't tell him to do what his brain fade head did but stuck by him. He's a genuine guy that loves the playing group and backs them either when they are good or bad. One thing will complete my total trust is for the team to play like they have been against the the top teams and not pussy foot against the teams we should be beating and of course to win a damn final ( Does anyone remember what that is like? Good to be proven wrong Dh and i sincerely apologise.:thumbsu:
Now who is starting a thread About been wrong with the Recruiter's I'm sure they need one also.:D

At the moment the team is producing the goods, can we win a final kicking 10 goals?

Can we win a flag kicking 10 goals?

Ugly football watch the OFFAL change some rules.

But great work Dimma and the team

At the moment the team is producing the goods, can we win a final kicking 10 goals?

Rise to the occasion Vre i can picture you and helen W together on that one last day in Sept admiring the Cup i'm holding.:D

But of course we can win kicking 10. In soccer you don't have to score 4 goals most finals are like 1 goal and like the italians have perfected score 1 and defend out of your skin. Is it pretty No but it is effective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back