Resource The Interstate Supporter's Guide to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm considering pre-emptively book flights up for the first week of finals, with Price Beat you can get return flights for 2 people for well under $300. I'm guessing once the finals schedule is confirmed you'd be lucky to get them for $300 per person. Worst case scenario and things don't pan out the way I want it's still a cheap weekend in Sydney. Worth the gamble or tempting fate?

Great write up GotTheGoodes , legend!

VijoMorganstein , if you decide to book and we slip from top 2, I'll find you! :D

Seriously though, under $300 is good for finals time. After the AFL announce the the first week dates and time airfares *en skyrocket.

I'll be sitting it out until its certain though!

I'm an expat Sydneysider who leads the chanting in the cheer squad. I generally travels back up for my 3 games per season, plus of course all finals. More often that I am travelling back up there on the smell of an oily rag. I tend to fly Tiger, but with them you have to be aware of what you pay for. If flights aren't full or are cancelled, you can be screwed. Having said that, last year I was bumped onto a Virgin flight after they cancelled my TT one.

Sydney can be expensive if you don't know what to do and where to go. But if you get decent accommodation you will find that drinking is often half the price it is in Melbourne. And public transport costs can be negated if you know what to do & are prepared to take the time to use the El Cheapo ways around the place, especially on match night.

I know Sydney like the back of my hand, so any info, just ask.

JF

If you have a day to do any thing else in Sydney, there is a Bicycle Tour of the city run by a mad Swans supporter. It's called BIKEBUFFS (www.bikebuffs.com.au). Great way to explore Sydney, get some exercise, talk footy and you go to a beaut lunch spot in Walsh Bay.

Need one for ANZ stadium with Richmond & Finals coming up? I work at Olympic Park, am happy to have a go if its wanted. What the heck. I did it anyways. Additions for Big Footy favourites encouraged:p

ANZ Stadium:

Getting There:

Refer to Horts post for airlines

Once you get there:

Trains: There is no direct train link to the Olympic Park Precinct from the airport. You'll have to catch a train to Central first.

If you’re going directly from airport to the game then ask for Sydney Olympic Park as your destination.

You must change trains at Central. Games are classed as a Special Event, trains leave directly from Central/Platform 5 (Country Trains) to Olympic Park. These are express trains (Central/Strathfield/Olympic Park) - recommended. Note: Look at your ticket for the game. Train travel may be covered, so wear your scarf, hold up your ticket - and they'll usually just wave you through.

OR if you wish to leave earlier/later

Central to Lidcombe and then change platforms to the Olympic Park Sprint service (look for tunnel at the end of Lidcombe Platform 1). Trains depart from Lidcombe Sprint Platform to OP every 10 minutes.

The best line to use from Central to Lidcombe is:
T1 Western Line
City to Emu Plains, City to Richmond service

Cabs:
If you plan on catching a cab from the airport, I hope your credit card is available. You’re probably looking at about $110, and that’s without traffic. Seriously, don’t catch a cab from the airport to Olympic Park. Just don’t. Best you catch a cab to Central and train from there.

Driving:
To quote Josh Kennedy – ‘Using Parramatta Road is a rookie mistake.” Hit your navigator over the head and choose a different way.

Road closure is common at Olympic Park for a major event, be prepared and know that on-street parking is a myth and patrolled zealously. If you get there early enough you can park the car at Lidcombe and catch the train to Olympic Park.

Olympic Park: There are a number of car parks available for use with a flat fee of $25.00. Refer to map bottom of this post.

You can pre-book your parking online:

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/maps/parking-at-sydney-olympic-park/event_parking

Where to Stay:
1: Most prefer to stay in the City and travel out via public transport.
2: There are five hotels at Olympic Park from the 5 star Pullman to the 2 star Ibis. Details are here:
http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/stay_eat_shop/accommodation
3: Strathfield should also be considered. A major shopping precinct, it sits between the City & Olympic Park. It offers more entertainment value than OP that's for sure.

Bigfooty favourites:

We suggest: Food, Pubs, Bars & Pre-Game Entertainment:

Strathfield: The young lads I know, who enjoy a brew or two, do their pre-game drinking at the Strathfield Hotel. Right next to the Strathfield station. I've been informed that the brew is good, the TAB is on hand. You can 1)re-board express train to Olympic Park or 2)catch one to Lidcombe & go to Sprint Platform as per instructions above or 3)grab a cab to Olympic Park (10-15mins)
http://www.strathfieldhotel.com.au/

Lidcombe:

Dooley’s: Get off at Lidcombe (lift end), turn right at the barriers, down the stairs and straight ahead on the right. Noodle bar there is particularly good and cheap, but if that’s not your thing there’s other choices on offer. Note: Dooleys is a Club, not a Pub. Dress codes apply.

- http://www.dooleys.com/dooleys_lidcombe

Royal Oak Hotel: Is a nifty little art deco pub. Will have the AFL on & a pizza/pasta bar open from 2:00pm. Exit Lidcombe (lift end) turn left at the barriers, down the stairs. You can't miss it.
- http://www.royaloak.net.au/

Lidcombe Hotel: A pub with bistro $10menu. Exit Lidcombe station(lift end) turn right at the barriers, down the stairs. You are now looking at the pub
- http://www.lidcombehotel.com.au/bistro.html

Olympic Park Precinct:
- A number of vendors offer food outside ANZ Stadium pre-game.
- Ribs & Rumps: http://ribsandrumps.com/locations/sydney-olympic-park-nsw/
- VN Fresh - http://vnfresh.com.au/
- Picolo - http://www.piccoloroma.com.au/
- The Brewery – Gets hella crowded on match day, so I avoid it like the plague. http://www.novotelsydneyolympicpark.com.au/restaurant-en.html

Attachments

• Parking-map-2011.pdf
    271.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Great post Ticky009, the only thing I have to add is that I believe all Swans games at Olympic Park have the special event trains running directly from Central, so no need to change at Lidcombe if you're coming from the city. Even if you happen to miss the direct train, they come frequently enough that you're probably better off just waiting for the next one.

It's only for Greater Waste Of Space games that you HAVE to catch the Olympic Park Sprint from Lidcombe as they don't qualify as a special event, so no direct trains from Central.

Where is the Boulevard Brasserie & Bar in the Novotel, I've never seen it. Does it have a bar where you can just rock up and grab a drink before the game, or is it just a sit-down restaurant?

Great post Ticky009, the only thing I have to add is that I believe all Swans games at Olympic Park have the special event trains running directly from Central, so no need to change at Lidcombe if you're coming from the city. Even if you happen to miss the direct train, they come frequently enough that you're probably better off just waiting for the next one.
It's only for Greater Waste Of Space games that you HAVE to catch the Olympic Park Sprint from Lidcombe as they don't qualify as a special event, so no direct trains from Central.

Where is the Boulevard Brasserie & Bar in the Novotel, I've never seen it. Does it have a bar where you can just rock up and grab a drink before the game, or is it just a sit-down restaurant?

Thanks for the heads up on the trains, I'll amend accordingly. ANZ is only 30min from me & I get free parking so no train for us.

The Brassiere & Bar can be accessed from the main entrance of the Novotel via Herb Elliott Avenue, walk straight through the front door and keep on going towards the back. The bar is inside, the seats outside, and its mainly a bar only. Can't tell you at the moment what their policy is on game day, I'm pretty sure its usually booked by corporate peeps, but I can take one for the team and check on Friday.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need one for ANZ stadium with Richmond & Finals coming up? I work at Olympic Park, am happy to have a go if its wanted. What the heck. I did it anyways. Additions for Big Footy favourites encouraged:p

Great post!

Been off BF for a couple days but this is now incorporated into the OP.

Great info guys - thanks. :)

Just wondering about the return from Olympic Park to airport.
If you're flying back the same night - how much time do you reckon you need to allow from game finishing to getting to the airport?

Do they run plenty of trains and at regular intervals back to Central?

Thanks again.

The majority of info has been posted about trains, etc. but for those who are visiting from the northern beaches/lower north shore where getting to a train station is a hassle - let me add this bit of info:

TO SCG from Upper Northern Beaches (e.g. Avalon, Palm Beach, Bilgola etc.)

-
Buses L90 depart from most main roads to Central (but they are limited stops so do check where you can get on first.)
They arrive about every 10-15 minutes, maybe longer on weekend mornings.
Get off at Railway Sq (which is the final stop anyway), then walk to Eddy Av. (10 mins) and catch a regular bus to Moore park (faster), or take advantage of the tons of special event buses.

ETA: Probably 2 hours if you're lucky!

TO SCG from Lower Northern Beaches (e.g. Manly, Dee Why etc.)

- Your best bet is to catch a bus/taxi to Warringah Mall or Dee Why Main - and then a L90, then same as above. I would not recommend getting any bus to the city, as 180s for example tend to go all around the world before getting to the destination. Most of them put you down at Wynyard too, and from there it's complicated and confusing for someone interstate to go to Central. Easiest just to take the L90, and it'll cut out the time it takes to transfer in the city anyway.

ETA: 1.5 Hours

- Alternatively, you can also catch a bus/taxi to Manly and take the Ferry, which leaves from Manly Wharf, (F1 Line - not the fast ferry) and comes every 30 minutes. This takes 30 mins to get to circular quay. From there - the SCG has special events buses leaving from Circular Quay, right next to McDonalds - but you'll see AFL supporters decked out so it won't be hard to find. This is my favourite way, mostly because the bus lines after the game from Central to Circular Q are really short!

ETA: 1 hour.

TO ANZ from Upper Northern Beaches (e.g. Avalon, Palm Beach, Bilgola etc.)

-
For ANZ games, there are always special events buses. I'm not 100% familiar where they start in the upper northern beaches, but this information isn't too hard to find as game day draws closer given there will always be a link on the Sydney swans website or trip planner.
I had a look on this website http://www.transportnsw.info/sites/...vents/2014/08/afl-sydneyswans-v-richmond.page and it really isn't that helpful, even as a Sydney-sider. I hope someone can add info. If it were me, I'd take a bus to Dee Why Main, where I know the 1A comes every ten minutes or so, and takes you straight to ANZ. The bus stop is a special events bus stop, and it won't be hard to miss at all.

ETA: 1.5 Hours

TO ANZ from Lower Northern Beaches (e.g. Manly, Dee Why)

-
For ANZ games, there are always special events buses. A bus/taxi to Dee Why Main as above, and then the 1A. These buses then from Dee Why go via Frenchs Forest, Chatswood etc. However if you're in Chatswood, you'd be silly not to take the train to Central then follow the directions as above.

TO SCG from Lower North Shore (e.g. Mosman)
GO to the main road (Military Rd) where you can get on just about any bus to Central (L90, M30 - there's a few others but my brain is dead) and follow the above.
Alternatively, Mosman have their own Ferry, which will you take you to Circular Quay and from there you can get the Special Events.
The nearest station is also Milson Pt, which has services running to Central.

TO ANZ from Lower North Shore (e.g. Mosman)
It's easiest to go to Milsons Pt, and catch the train line, or any bus from Military Road into Wynyard. There is no easy way to get to ANZ via Bus.

Great info guys - thanks. :)

Just wondering about the return from Olympic Park to airport.
If you're flying back the same night - how much time do you reckon you need to allow from game finishing to getting to the airport?

Do they run plenty of trains and at regular intervals back to Central?

Thanks again.

Hey Blinky, trains leave from Olympic Park to Central from as early as 17:06 and leave every 10 mins after that. Takes about 22 mins. + Central to Domestic Airport terminal is another 10mins. If you get the connections right and add 15mins walking to and fro your looking at 50 mins.

Trackwork on the Northern Line this weekend, there will be replacement buses but it'll take longer to get there and back. I'd recommend taking the Special Event Buses instead if you live near one of the routes.

Trackwork on the Northern Line this weekend, there will be replacement buses but it'll take longer to get there and back. I'd recommend taking the Special Event Buses instead if you live near one of the routes.

Only weeknight Trackwork..not affecting game day

Northern Line Trackwork, is the weekend of the 6th (ie First round of the Finals)

Trackwork for This weekend.

Richmond-Granville
Bondi Junction - Central

Return flights MEL-SYD same day Jetstar $200 if anyone else is making the trip.

Only weeknight Trackwork..not affecting game day

Northern Line Trackwork, is the weekend of the 6th (ie First round of the Finals)

Trackwork for This weekend.

Richmond-Granville
Bondi Junction - Central
So trackwork on the first week of finals. Great.

How impossible are taxis to grab from the stadium?

Anybody else heading straight to the airport let us know I'll split it with ya.

How impossible are taxis to grab from the stadium?

Anybody else heading straight to the airport let us know I'll split it with ya.

Don't bother..only a short walk from Stadium to Taxi rank, but going to be a lot of traffic in the area.
About 27km to the Airport , http://www.taxifare.com.au/ gives a price range from about $57-$80

Remove this Banner Ad

Back