Resource The Interstate Supporter's Guide to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We're staying near Hyde Park. What's the best way to get to the game? I assume we'd have to go from museum station to Central then on to the game?

What's it like getting back after the game? Is there a long wait?

How much is a return trip?

Cheers!
Express trains from Central start from the intercity platforms (1-15). There's plenty of signage.

The line getting into the train station can be long but it moves pretty quickly. Prepare for a pretty snug tight fit on the train, you might even have to come into contact with some North supporters.

The cost of public transport is included in the ticket.

Express trains from Central start from the intercity platforms (1-15). There's plenty of signage.

The line getting into the train station can be long but it moves pretty quickly. Prepare for a pretty snug tight fit on the train, you might even have to come into contact with some North supporters.

The cost of public transport is included in the ticket.
Cheers grim!

Another quick question.

How fastidious are the aisle attendants at ANZ? For example could you buy the 50% off Telstra seats (near the Swans cheer squad!) and then move down the NM end of the ground and sit in a spare seat there?

Assume there are attendants on every aisle of the ground?

Okay guys. Need some ideas on cool stuff to do/see/places to eat while in Sydney.

First of all I'm looking for somewhere nice to have breakfast around the hyde park area? Somewhere where I can get french toast or eggs benny would be good.

Also any nice places to eat dinner around circular quay/hyde park. Somewhere with a nice view would be great. I love pretty much all types of food although not big on Japanese.

And lastly just some cool stuff to do during the day that's not too hard to get to from Hyde Park...Nice bay areas to visit or anything at all to kill some time on Saturday.

The more suggestions the better. Don't care how stupid they are.

Breakfast wise, a bit hard as a lot of cafes don't open on weekends. I've heard good things about Alpha http://www.alpharestaurant.com.au but haven't been there myself. This place sounds alright too http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1610620/restaurant/Sydney/CBD/Joe-Black-Surry-Hills

Might be better if you get to Surry Hills there's a lot of trendy places there like Devon, bills, Paramount Coffee Project or Reuben Hills but be prepared to line up.

Circular Quay/The Rocks can be pricey as it is a touristy area. This tapas place http://www.tapavino.com.au/ has great food but no view. This French place http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1734162/restaurant/CBD/Cafe-Nice-Sydney has okay food but some views depending on where they seat you. The really nice places like Quay or Cafe Sydney you won't be able to get without a booking months in advance, but probably not what you're after anyway.

As for doing stuff, have a look at this http://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments/1g66ir/sydney_daytrip_megathread/ but probably avoid the Northern Beaches because you'll run into trashy louts like vonn

If it's a nice day, walk down from Hyde Park through the Botanic Gardens and you'll end up right at the Opera House so you can then head to the Rocks. It'll be simply delightful, I assure you.

Sounds like it will keep the mrs happy and you seem like the sorta guy who knows how to satisfy a lady.

Sounds like it will keep the mrs happy and you seem like the sorta guy who knows how to satisfy a lady.

You know who to hitch your wagon to, clearly. If the whole Botanic Gardens thing works, try this:

I haven't tried it on a woman yet but the space between my mattress and pillow loves it. Ditto the sleeve on my Swans jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know who to hitch your wagon to, clearly. If the whole Botanic Gardens thing works, try this:

I haven't tried it on a woman yet but the space between my mattress and pillow loves it. Ditto the sleeve on my Swans jumper.

I'll be thinking of you

Hey guys, driving up from melb tomorow morning, will be staying on talavera road at the travelodge. Is it best to drive to the ground (will be leaving early) or is there a better way to get there? Cheers

Hey guys, driving up from melb tomorow morning, will be staying on talavera road at the travelodge. Is it best to drive to the ground (will be leaving early) or is there a better way to get there? Cheers
Don't drive. Walk to Macq Uni station and take the train. Unfortunately you'll have to change at Epping and then Strathfield but it'll be quicker than driving.

Whatever you do don't drive. Either bus from Macquarie Shopping Centre to Strathfield (459), then train from there straight to Olympic park. Or alternatively train from Mac Uni, change at Stathfield to platform 4 or 5 (check the signs)

Don't drive. Walk to Macq Uni station and take the train. Unfortunately you'll have to change at Epping and then Strathfield but it'll be quicker than driving.

I would avoid driving at all costs,esp without pre booked parking
If train, Train Macquarie University to Central and pick up the direct train to Olympic Park , starting from 5.20pm
Alternatively route 1B special event bus on the corner of Talavera and Lane Cove Rd, direct to Olympic Park. (roughly 20min walk to the bus stop)

Last edited:
Would take between 35 -53 min to Strathfield depending on Express/All stations (39mins to Central), only problem going via Epping it would be Two Trains to get there, compared to one going the other way .

Street parking may be a issue, as I believe most areas around Olympic Park are resident only parking on major event days.
You may be able to get a park in Dooleys Catholic Club which is a short walk to Lidcombe station, other than that park in the City and train out to Olympic Park.

Just a reminder for those heading to Sydney for the Rnd 1 game vs Essendon , the Sydney Royal Easter Show is on at Homebush at Sydney Olympic Park as well so forget about driving unless you pre book, the parking.
Public Transport is included in the Match Ticket, with direct services from Central and Blacktown.

I was looking on the SCG website for information re buses to SCG and read this

On event days, express shuttle buses run every five minutes from Chalmers St at Central Station to Moore Park. Buses may also run from Young Street at Circular Quay for selected events.

It says buses may also run from Circular Quay for selected events. I am coming up for the Dogs match next weekend and am staying at Quay West at the Rocks. Will there be buses to SCG from Circular Quay for this match.

If not, what is the best way to get to the ground. There will be 3 adults (one a 75 yo) and 2 kids (7 & 13)

Thanks for your help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back