Certified Legendary Thread The 'I've Got an Easton Wood' Appreciation Society.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there when he debuted I think. 09 against the lions up here in the gabba if my memory serves me correctly.

That was his 2nd. First was against the Eagles at Docklands (the day we had 11 behinds before scoring a goal).

Oh so good he got dropped round 19!
No need to make things up.
Bmcdud didn't rate him but he did rate Austin!

Wood played 18 of the first 19 games. He missed round 19, came back for round 20 then fractured his hand and was out for the rest of the season. If McCartney didn't rate him then why did he play 19 games last season?

Oh wait, it's because you're a moron that talks s**t.

That was his 2nd. First was against the Eagles at Docklands (the day we had 11 behinds before scoring a goal).

I remember watching this at a mates place....I remember his debut because for a first gamer he was very composed with what he was doing. He has good footy smarts which is part of the reason he's having such a good year. I loved how on the weekend he took the mark in front of Bruce & was standing over him without getting out of his way, cos at the end of the day Bruce had to get out without taking him down & giving 50m away

Wood played 18 of the first 19 games. He missed round 19, came back for round 20 then fractured his hand and was out for the rest of the season. If McCartney didn't rate him then why did he play 19 games last season?

Oh wait, it's because you're a moron that talks s**t.
Yes I've got it all wrong. Playing spuds like Austin and Young in any games before Wood means Mcdud rated him. As well as playing forwards like Higgins in his spot.

Besides when you can't coach it wouldn't matter who you rate.
Wood played a prelim final in his second year. The talent was there. He was Gws's fall back plan after Ward. Should have been an almost automatic selection the past 3 years.

Last edited:
The issue Easton had was he was constantly injured, as well as his suicidal pack killing tendencies which often created opposition goals.

I've gotta say despite your sometime creepy McCartney bashing you're dead right .
He didn't rate Wood at all .
Austin!!!!
He hardly got any B and F votes either last year. I felt he was in our best 5 players most weeks. Couldn't believe it when he was dropped. I have no doubt he would have left had McCartney stayed on.

I've gotta say despite your sometime creepy McCartney bashing you're dead right .
He didn't rate Wood at all .
Austin!!!!
Interesting as I vividly remember the former coach being interviewed I think it was in a post game presser, and he said that he felt we had something special with Wood and that it just needed to be brought out. Maybe his methods weren't perfect but he definitely rated Easton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting as I vividly remember the former coach being interviewed I think it was in a post game presser, and he said that he felt we had something special with Wood and that it just needed to be brought out. Maybe his methods weren't perfect but he definitely rated Easton.
yeah i remember after a win at some stage Macca said "we're watching Easton Wood grow before our very eyes" or something of the ilk

That coach spoke a lot of crap.
Actions speak louder than words, if you picked Austin, Young or Higgins in our backline over Wood at any stage in the past 3 years then you didn't rate him.

Would it be crazy to play Wood as a CHF next year?

Lets assume one of Hamling, Duece or Talia is good enough to play that zoning-off role that Wood has excelled at this year. They dont need to be as good as him, but just play it adequately.

Seriously, what defender is going to be able to deal with Woods combination of pace, endurance and aerial power? How many marks is the guy going to take in our forward half?

Lets assume one of Hamling, Duece or Talia is good enough to play that zoning-off role that Wood has excelled at this year. They dont need to be as good as him, but just play it adequately.

Seriously, what defender is going to be able to deal with Woods combination of pace, endurance and aerial power? How many marks is the guy going to take in our forward half?

Brian Harris board 2008

His aerial power is great when he gets a free run but would not win body-on-body against the monsters. It's not broken, so let's not fix it.

Wood reads the ball in the air better than anyone else on our list, knows how to handle taller & heavier forwards and provides the dash off half back that defines our side. He is the perfect defender for us.

I think Hamling could yet end up at centre half forward.

Funnily enough Fletch is still my pick to end up as our swing man playing a lot of forward time. Our mid 2000's Adam Hunter type. Will be interesting to see who ends up playing fwd out of the defenders if any.

His aerial power is great when he gets a free run but would not win body-on-body against the monsters. It's not broken, so let's not fix it.

Sure but which 'monster' defender is going to be able to go with him? the guy is a running machine. Classic case of too quick for talls and too hard for smalls (with his athleticism) Different proposition to Brian Lake entirely.

The player who has played forward Id most compare him to is Andrew Walker - when he and Carlton were in form in 2011, he took 111 marks and kicked 56 goals.

Sure but which 'monster' defender is going to be able to go with him? the guy is a running machine. Classic case of too quick for talls and too hard for smalls (with his athleticism) Different proposition to Brian Lake entirely.

The player who has played forward Id most compare him to is Andrew Walker - when he and Carlton were in form in 2011, he took 111 marks and kicked 56 goals.
Sounds more suited to being a HFF who can play tall at times, but we have a few of those already.

Wood is 186cm & 84kg, Walker 190cm & 89kg. Both are midfielders height these days but Walker is clearly much closer to a KPF build than Wood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back