Certified Legendary Thread The 'I've Got an Easton Wood' Appreciation Society.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was one opposed to Wood, made me look like an idiot, and all power to him. He's played well, kicking the ball well, intercept marking is great, but above all else he's been CONSISTENTLY good, which is something that our players are lacking (apart from Picken).

I was one opposed to Wood, made me look like an idiot, and all power to him. He's played well, kicking the ball well, intercept marking is great, but above all else he's been CONSISTENTLY good, which is something that our players are lacking (apart from Picken).

Holding a large piece of timber here ... but I think with a good run at it (I'm talking 40-50 straight games) I think he can become an elite player in the competition. A genuine break the lines, bust a game open player, who can slide forward and kick goals as well as consistently beat his opponent 1-1. We haven't had too many who play this swingman role in the past, but with Stringer (who I thought was excellent yesterday) we now have 2 with huge potential to provide us with the flexibility of a Brendan Goodard type.

Can you be against Ayce Cordy and Liam Jones too?

Can you be against Ayce Cordy and Liam Jones too?
I'm against Cordy, he hasn't shown enough in however many years he's been on the list, not even in the VFL. Had an amazing game first up, but hasn't done much apart from that. I'm confident in Jones though, sorry :p

Yeah, I was done with him for the first two rounds. Since then he's playing better than he ever has and is using his pace and athleticism as an intercepter.

Have been impressed with him from Round 3 onwards, so I've had an Easton Wood for 5 weeks now. I think I need to go to the hospital.

Glad he's shown what he's capable of, though. Hopefully it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Its no coincidence that his turnaround in form has come since being released from the shackles of playing as our de-facto CHB.

A role that he is obviously unsuited to, but one that has probably been the catalyst for the turnaround in his form.

IIRC some posters said he should never play for us again after round 1. I may have wanted him dropped too :oops:

I hope everyone learns a permanent lesson not to write a player off too soon :rolleyes:

IIRC some posters said he should never play for us again after round 1. I may have wanted him dropped too :oops:

I hope everyone learns a permanent lesson not to write a player off too soon :rolleyes:
You're being funny there, right?
You might also add that we should learn a permanent lesson that MC might have actually known what they were doing picking a spud like Wood week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I told you before the start of the season that Wood, Picken and Higgins would consistently be in our best players this year.

said nobody ever.

Hell, lets throw in Boyd who to my eyes looks in career best form

I was really surprised he was labelled a "spud" by a few at the start of the season. I had my doubts about him as much as anyone but "spud" is such an overused word these days and he was never one.

He reads the play really well and is so good at the intercepting mark, just needs to clean his disposal and decision making up and he will be one hell of a player.

I was one of those, but I'll put up my hand in saying that I never thought he was going to make it for the past few years as well.

He's done enough to convince me he'll be at the very least a serviceable AFL player for us, but should be far more than that as welll.

I remember the birth of this thread. He's had a rough season or 2 being injured/inconsistent/out of touch, but it looks like he might be back playing the kind of footy that made threads like these. Onwards and upwards Easton.

Only ones eligible for this society should be those that kept telling the disbelievers all he needed was a good run at it,
What did we keep hearing , terrible kick , terrible decision maker , blah blah blah.

Several years ago after Easton's first season there was a poll thread on who would be the next doggies youngster to become a gun at AFL level. Wood won easily, so no need for the self flagellation we knew all along. He was courageous, fast, strong, handsome and could roost it a mile.

But I don't think we expected it to take him 6 years. Or that noone else from that generation would make it. Probably explains the s**t that we're in now.

players like Wood and Picken this year will make our team harder to beat than the side that lost to Melbourne at the G last year. He, Picken and Moz are Stingy Stingy defenders. Stringer will be better for the run of the last two weeks as will Talia.

Me and my mates have been calling him the "Chinese Erection" for years.
Likewise, but with Oriental instead of Chinese, haha.

Undoubtedly one of our best today.

Perhaps it's a lesson to those of us who have potted Higgins, Cordy, Williams and even Howard, that until a player can get an extended injury-free run (including the pre-season) it's hard to tell what his real worth is.

I would be very surprised if he's not running well inside the top 10 for the Sutton Medal at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back