Jake Carlisle Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard somewhere that if/when the players fail in their appeal, their ban may increase to 24 months. Is there any truth to that?

In effect, they already have a 24 month ban. it was back dated to when they were suspended during last preseason i believe.

That is like having a suspended sentence, I would be surprised if the appeal court cant alter that determination? People are suggesting they cant but I doubt any of the posters are International Law experts. Getting an extra penalty is generally the expectation of a failed appeal - wasting the courts time etc....

Heres hoping the Swiss smack the smug Bombers back to the land of Oz with their corrupt tails between their legs!

Two years out of football would nearly be the end of the guilted player careers and thats what they and the club deserve. As far as Carlisle is concerned I have made my feelings known, our club should not have gone anywhere near him! Everyway I see it his trade was an extremely desperate and poor decision.The absolute worst decision Trout and Ameet have made in their time at our club!
It's not international law that you need to worry about, it's the contractual agreement in place. They can't extend the or alter the penalty in this situation.

As way of credentials I have a masters in international arbitration (not sports arbitration though) and work in arbitration (and am accredited). So take my word for it!

Yes indeed. Lets hope a bunch of guys duped by their superiors are drawn and quartered, especially for daring to utilize an appeals system designed to ensure fair and even judgement.

Im actually pretty amazed at the complete lack of empathy some people on here have and I have no doubt that every single one of you would have toed the line just like those players did because that is what the culture is. To trust your ******* coach and administration when you ask them and then sign documents that actually say everything is approved.

Everyone is patting themselves on the back from their nice comfy desk chairs about how these guys have been banned and their careers potentially ruined whilst the people who actually did it get away scot free because WADA are a bunch of morons who somehow cant even manage to get Dank to answer for the s**t he has pulled.

Oh thats right, because theyre not an ACTUAL court and arent held to the same standards as one.

Actually It was a pretty good decision. Sorry you cant understand that.
They are held to the standards of an "actual" court when it comes to enforcement of decisions. So you have that wrong.

And if it was an "actual" court then it would likely be a civil case (as its contractual in basis) and a mere balance of probability and far less onerous an evidencry burden to overcome to suspend the players.

Not to mention, on a slightly different angle, the Victorian courts typically use a cumulative assessment of evidence, rather than test individual strands as the AFL tribunal did. Once again, the effect of that being the bar imposed by the AFL was HIGHER than normal.

Add to that the fact the players lied on their ASADA test forms and it's pretty compelling that they knew what was happening.

As for any retort on lack of evidence in the media and time to execute the investigation, well if an organisation deliberately obstructs and hides evidence by running a sophisticate clandestine programme, guess what? It's hard to gather evidence and takes time.

Spare me the pity story for they players. If they were in a team cycling sport, swimming etc etc they'd have been banned for two years long ago.

What annoys me the most is the fact that they aren’t even contesting their guilt, but this is what the media is running with.

THEY ARE INNOCENT! THEY WILL CLEAR THEIR NAMES! JOBE IS A MARTYR….etc…it’s so bloody frustrating.

You have a bunch of players that took PEDs who are trying to clear their names based on the fact that WADA may not have had the right to appeal a verdict of not proven. So on a technicality, not a denial of guilt.

Or if they feel that it was misconduct by the club and they genuinely didn’t know what was going in their bodies then throw Essendon under the bus and make them cop it.

Last edited:
What annoys me the most is the fact that they aren’t even contesting their guilt, but this is what the media is running with.

THEY ARE INNOCENT! THEY WILL CLEAR THEIR NAMES! JOBE IS A MARTYR….etc…it’s so bloody frustrating.

You have a bunch of players that took PEDs who are trying to clear their names based on the fact that WADA may not have had the right to appeal a verdict of not proven. So on a technicality, not a denial of guilt.

Or if they feel that it was misconduct by the club and they genuinely didn’t know what was going in their bodies then throw Essendon under the bus and make them cop it.
Appealing jurisdiction is the last bastion of the scoundrel. I'd not worry too much. I'd be very very surprised if it got overturned.

Malthouse and Buttifant offering to train the 34 through he year... not the dumbest suggestion I've heard.

Not really keen on Jake training with the mob that put him in this spot. I would rather he be no where near any of the Essendon players

Not really keen on Jake training with the mob that put him in this spot. I would rather he be no where near any of the Essendon players

I doubt he would considering how he ended with the club and those very same teammates. Legal proceedings where you stand to gain and are only involved at a high level is fine, but spending enough time to train and otherwise enagge in the action that you ended with them poorly on? Not gonna happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was likely from this article http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...32c91d85763e7fcd61ed9ac4e8&memtype=registered

Mainly this bit.

Weird, also, was a confrontation last year between Goddard and Jake Carlisle at training. Carlisle was traded to St Kilda in the post-season amid revelations of drug taking, not that Goddard cares.

Their relationship — after Goddard had worked on improving Carlisle’s professionalism and standards — broke down when Carlisle punched him at training, opening up his lip.

According to Goddard, Carlisle left a running group in the warm-up. Goddard basically told him it was important to stay as a group.

“I didn’t yell at him, I wasn’t demonstrative whatsoever, but he doesn’t like to be challenged, doesn’t like being held accountable to his actions,’’ Goddard said.

“And it was my fault he punched me ... that’s what he said. I knew I did nothing wrong and so did everyone else.’’

Still, change beckons for the new skipper.

Seems a pretty one sided story to me and almost guaranteed to be tempers boiling over.

Yeah because it has never been reported before that Goddard yells at teammates.

I am sure there is truth in what he says but would like to hear the context. Goddard makes it sound like it happened out of the blue

It's clear Goddard and the bummers are trying to repair there appalling image. Essondonn from the drug saga and Goddards because he is a known finger pointing sook. The problem is the media are lapping it up and the reports around Carliske are very biased towards Goddard. I reckon Carlisle wouldn't be the only one wanting to punch him in the mouth

Malthouse and Buttifant offering to train the 34 through he year... not the dumbest suggestion I've heard.

Except Butterpants was at the Pies when their levels peaked. It might be a way to keep them doped while no one is watching them. Not suggesting he is a doper but you would be keeping them the * away from "Sports Scientists".

It's clear Goddard and the bummers are trying to repair there appalling image. Essondonn from the drug saga and Goddards because he is a known finger pointing sook. The problem is the media are lapping it up and the reports around Carliske are very biased towards Goddard. I reckon Carlisle wouldn't be the only one wanting to punch him in the mouth

The Herald Sun is generally an Essendon mouth piece, the PR machine will now be in full swing trying to repair the damage (as it has been for months).

To save anyone reading the article that CBFd it basically says:

Goddard is a wonderful person.
Goddard is misunderstood.
Goddard’s priority is the development of the younger players over a premiership for Goddard.
Carlisle punched Goddard in the face.
Carlisle is selfish.
Goddard is misunderstood.
Goddard is a wonderful person.

Of course in true Herald Sun style when it comes to Essendon it’s reporting the exact opposite of what the general perception is.

Again - just shows the HIGH levels of due diligence done on Carlisle before saints signed him up.

Maybe Roo could have rung up Goddard and asked him about it.

I am not aware of anyone punching Goddard when he was with the Saints.

Again - just shows the HIGH levels of due diligence done on Carlisle before saints signed him up.

Maybe Roo could have rung up Goddard and asked him about it.

I am not aware of anyone punching Goddard when he was with the Saints.

You would surprised at the amount of punch ups at training. I don't think you can say we didn't do our homework because of this news. They may have known about it and couldn't give a stuff. Viney and McDonald had a punch up the other day. I would both or either in a heartbeat

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-15/malthouse-wants-to-save-banned-dons-from-lifetime-penalty

Dunno. Part of me wants to say, "Shutup Mick, what do you know about Saady's situation?" But part of me also kinda sees his point.

Saad also suffered from the fact that he was never really quite good enough to make it anyway IMO. Good set shot but never got enough of the ball when he was playing and was really just a stop gap when our rebuild started.

His pre ban form didn't suggest he would get near our best starting team now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back