Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
My first few sentences were out of topic i grant you that..
Yes there is no precedent , but if you think sending second year rookies to the PSD and playing hatdball ! is a good look for potential draftees you must be kidding yourself.
Do you think your club will do the same with Lennon? If talks break down?
If talks break down and we can't sign Lennon, I'd hope my club can get the best deal for the club which means trade for high picks or good players. However, my club has hardly been losing players left right and centre. If it was leaking players to the extent that Brisbane has been, I would think a different approach would be needed. What's the point of getting draft picks if these young guns up and leave after the first two years? You do or the hard work physically developing them and then they leave! Everybody says make the environment better but how can you do that if you are losing all the time because the guys that were going to take you to the next level have up and left.
Brisbane isn't going to hold onto players whilst they wallow near the bottom. They don't have the extra retention money that GWS has. They cannot get success with the current setup. Drastic situations call for drastic action. I don't know if this will work but it may make players think twice about saying they want to leave after only two years. It really is like a game of poker right now. Who will hold their nerve?

Choomah

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Rabbitohs
Explain? This ought to be good.
COLLINGWOOD football manager Neil Balme has challenged the loyalties of unsigned speedster Nathan Freeman.

“One would expect he would have a responsibility to repay the support”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...533141248?sv=a9107291b777e79dca41022d20328bca

Today:

Collingwood football chief Neil Balme has blasted the Lions' hardline stance on Aish's trade request.

“where's the individual's right? ... I mean, what sort of an environment would you be providing if you're making people stay?”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...manager-fears-aish-may-have-to-risk-the-draft

Vankri

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
As someone completely independent, I understand exactly what Brisbane are trying to do. They are making a statement. They are saying to all future players that they can't just walk out on the club and go to another. If this was an isolated example I would agree with you. However, Brisbane are haemorrhaging players and have to draw a line in the sand to say this must stop. Unfortunately for Aish, he is the person where the buck stops.

If the problem is a 'frontier club' problem, then the audience to scare and influence isn't James Aish, but the AFL and the other 'frontier' clubs to ask for support. If the problem is player demands and player power overall then singling Aish isn't going to solve anything. And finally if the problem is with Brisbane as a club unable to appeal enough to players from interstate to get them to stay, then punishing players goes the opposite way of solving their issues.

It's just that Brisbane is a professional football club, James Aish an individual player, and it feels like bullying him into staying or punishing him for wanting out will achieve absolutely nothing for Brisbane except damage their relationship with the AFLPA, maybe the AFL, Collingwood, Pickering, Aish and other potential future interstate players, as well as their future by getting zero compensation for a departing first round pick.

EFA.

I'm curious between yourself, BRAB, dlanod and TBD (when not s**t stirring) I feel like I'm most likely to get a rational response to this question.

Would you feel that the club were justified in their stance were he to get through to Collingwood via the ND?

To pre-empt the question of how we'll get that pick let Collingwood worry about that because that's where their energies will be spent. I'm moreso interested in how a Ross Lyon stance will be accepted in the washup.

I'm also acutely aware that this isn't an Aish/ Collingwood issue, but one of player retention I just have doubts on the benefits of this move aiding player retention.

It's a really good question and I think taking on the scenario where Collingwood get him for "nothing" (still using a draft pick) in the National draft is the best one to view the ultimatum in, worst case scenario for us and all.

Firstly you have to ask what the message actually is? "Don't leave us after 2 years when your contract expires" seems a bit brutish, basically saying we'll make your life as hard as possible if you try to leave the club, "abusive partner"-esque. "Don't nominate a specific club" works, we can basically send them to a state if it's for career reasons. Other reasons, health related for example, should require compassion anyway and supersede any policies we have in place.

In this specific case Aish ends up at Collingwood, so we haven't really given Aish a chance to even feel slightly annoyed, he still gets to the club he wants. All it sets is we're willing to give up a player for nothing.

Getting the AFL to look at the state of our club more closely must be the end goal, whether the solution is longer initial contracts for draftees, (or perhaps 2 years then club options) more funding for our facilities to get them up to AFL standard or a retention allowance/compensation picks. (both temporary fixes for me, we need to fix the club from the ground up, we need money from the State Government in all honesty) If the AFL/State governments take action then its a win for us.

Culture wise? To me, not a good move. If the issue is homesickness, what effect does it have on players psychologically if they feel quite literally trapped? They basically are faced with the option of staying in a state they hate for the start of their careers (4 years feels like a bloody long time to a young kid) or being painted as this villain that has to bugger off to the draft if they have the gall to leave early. It's a far cry from the "family" attitude we were taking into the start of last years trade period.

All in all it's a situation that supersedes Aish and even Collingwood, both parties really are stuck in the middle of our last stand against young players leaving the club. I personally believe, in the case this isn't posturing, we're making a huge mistake. We have had the majority of our players stay since the GH5, 8 out of 9, we're drafting smarter, we have a defined future. Sometimes we just have to cut our losses. What we do have to do in the future until a better option is found is draft smarter, pick more mature ( as in frame of mind, not necessarily age) players that are willing to stick it out for the club, manage players well and try to get them on long contracts ASAP. Easiest way to do that is give them game time, and manage their injuries well, worst case scenario, they leave, we get the best value for them because they've shown their talents. The NEAFL is a big problem for us, you have guns like Aish who have played at levels higher then NEAFL quality since they were 16, and then have to bugger off to our park level grounds to swelter in the NEAFL for a year, not fun. The draw of even the VFL for a player wanting to go to a Melbourne based club would be a small factor.

To me, ditch Aish for as much value as we can possibly get, 2 second rounders, maybe a player as well, fight for the best value we can possibly get. At the end of the day we should be a club where players know they'll be treated well if they stay or if they go, to me, that makes them feel more comfortable and in the end, probably makes them more likely to stay!!

The important thing is to know that I think most people involved with the club aren't taking a "* Collingwood" approach, it really is just an action they've taken for the betterment of the club that happens to involve Collingwood. Still think we're posturing just quietly.

Reading back on this I feel I actually sort of used your question as a springboard for my own rant, hopefully I've still answered it though.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
Well offer something reasonable so we will be well compensated.
But isn't the whole issue you're club isn't willing to listen? They've said stay or go to the draft. Admittedly Swann said Carlton thinking the PSD, but Aisho will hit the National Draft where it's a whole new ballgame.

Brisbane supporters continue with send him to Crows, send to Hawthorn. It's not the issue about what we can or will offer, the point is no trade offer will be considered.

Last edited:

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
COLLINGWOOD football manager Neil Balme has challenged the loyalties of unsigned speedster Nathan Freeman.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...533141248?sv=a9107291b777e79dca41022d20328bca

Today:

Collingwood football chief Neil Balme has blasted the Lions' hardline stance on Aish's trade request.

“where's the individual's right? ... I mean, what sort of an environment would you be providing if you're making people stay?”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...manager-fears-aish-may-have-to-risk-the-draft
Lol Clutching at straws like the rest

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Today:

I must have missed the bit where he said we refuse to trade him.

Disappointed and pissed off he's leaving after 2 years. We'll still at least entertain a trade discussion.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Actually I thought Andrew Gaze on SEN the other day had a really good suggestion on the issue of player retention. He suggested implenting something like the Larry Bird rule from the NBA. Essentially where one of a club's players is being poached by another club, the club can access funds outside its cap to match or beat the offer to entice the player to stay. The beauty of this rule is that all clubs have access to this so no one can argue one club is getting an unfair advantage, it's only for player retention so it can't be used to poach players from another club, but it would help clubs like Lions and GWS who have a lot of players leaving to perhaps retain a couple of them.

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
How's it clutching at straws exactly? Both comments seem to contradict each other quite nicely
Lol another anti-collingwood poster sticking tight I see, this thread is comedy at its best. Keep them anti-collingwood post comming as we don't lose anything from all of this as we already got our man in Treloar.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

Today:

Yes but there is a difference between blasting a player for requesting a trade and refusing to trade them even though they are out of contract. We are unhappy with Freeman for leaving but we will still trade him to the Saints (his chosen destination). The Lions on the other hand are saying they will either force him to stay or push him to the draft for nothing rather than trade Hume for compensation.

Lol another anti-collingwood poster sticking tight I see, this thread is comedy at its best. Keep them anti-collingwood post comming as we don't lose anything from all of this as we already got our man in Treloar.

So can you explain how it's not contradictory or are you just going to accuse everyone of being anti-Collingwood or something?

Seems like an odd approach.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder

Today:

So essentially, you're telling me you dont understand the difference in this situation.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Where's Freeman's individual right to move clubs? To quote Neil Balme.

Shouldn't Aish repay Brisbane for their support? To quote him again.

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
So can you explain how it's not contradictory or are you just going to accuse everyone of being anti-Collingwood or something?

Seems like an odd approach.
You should read all your anti-collingwood posts you do, it's pretty funny. Hope Aish go's to the crows :)

Today:

And when Freeman did request a trade, Balme accepted it and Collingwood are dealing with St Kilda, which is his destination of choice.

So explain to me what's so hypocritical about Balme criticizing Brisbane for not respecting a players wishes, when he and Collingwood are respecting Freeman's wishes?

Maybe you should look up the definition of difficult words like hypocrasy before making yourself look stupid on a public forum.

It was demonstrated after Freeman requested a trade (after the initial comments from Balme were made), and Collingwood, whilst expressing their disappointment, accepted his request and agreed to deal with St Kilda.

He probably should, but that's not the issue here. The issue is that the Lions will not respect their players wishes, whilst Collingwood will.

So I ask again, where's the hypocrisy?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Freeman. We'll be open to a trade to St.Kilda. Just waiting for the offer.

Aisho. Not open to a trade to anyone. Irrespective of any offer, no trade will be done.

You seriously can't see the difference. Both clubs are pissed off at losing a top 10 pick after 2 years. One club is willing to trade to their preferred destination. One club isn't.

Now if we offer Brisbane something rubbish and they declined, fair play. Just like if St.klida offer us something rubbish we'll decline. That's not what is happening here though.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Respecting Freeman's wishes as they bad mouth him to the press.
True but that doesn't make Balme a hypocrite. He only criticised Brisbane for not respecting Aish by not at least attempting to trade him, not for any clips they may have or are going to give him on the way out the door. Balme gave Freeman a pretty good clip for leaving but is still respecting him by attempting to trade him to the Saints.

Back