Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

rampar

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
COLLINGWOOD football manager Neil Balme has challenged the loyalties of unsigned speedster Nathan Freeman.

“One would expect he would have a responsibility to repay the support”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...533141248?sv=a9107291b777e79dca41022d20328bca

Today:

Collingwood football chief Neil Balme has blasted the Lions' hardline stance on Aish's trade request.

“where's the individual's right? ... I mean, what sort of an environment would you be providing if you're making people stay?”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...manager-fears-aish-may-have-to-risk-the-draft

For a guy that had a massive cry about unnessary trade talks he certainly has a lot to say!

Respecting Freeman's wishes as they bad mouth him to the press.
Who bad mouthed him? The worst I've heard was from Buckley was that his issues would follow him to St Kilda, later to be revealed that he was referring to Freeman's mental demons over his hamstring. Apparently Collingwoods medicos thought he was ready to go months before the end of the season, but he kept saying he wasn't comfortable to play yet. They ended up wrapping him up a few weeks before the end of the season and wanted to have a fresh start next year which he apparently didn't appreciate.

I'm still waiting for the hypocrasy, but all I can see is ill informed St Kilda supporters digging a deeper hole.

You should read all your anti-collingwood posts you do, it's pretty funny. Hope Aish go's to the crows :)

So can you explain how it's not contradictory or are you going to keep repeating the same thing over and over again?

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Who bad mouthed him? The worst I've heard was from Buckley was that his issues would follow him to St Kilda, later to be revealed that he was referring to Freeman's mental demons over his hamstring. Apparently Collingwoods medicos thought he was ready to go months before the end of the season, but he kept saying he wasn't comfortable to play yet. They ended up wrapping him up a few weeks before the end of the season and wanted to have a fresh start next year which he apparently didn't appreciate.

I'm still waiting for the hypocrasy, but all I can see is ill informed St Kilda supporters digging a deeper hole.
I think their referring to the clip Balme gave him for walking out after two years. However that doesn't make Balme a hypocrite as Balme only criticised Brisbane for the no trade stance, not for any clips Aish has or will receive from them on the way out the door.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
COLLINGWOOD football manager Neil Balme has challenged the loyalties of unsigned speedster Nathan Freeman.

“One would expect he would have a responsibility to repay the support”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...533141248?sv=a9107291b777e79dca41022d20328bca

Today:

Collingwood football chief Neil Balme has blasted the Lions' hardline stance on Aish's trade request.

“where's the individual's right? ... I mean, what sort of an environment would you be providing if you're making people stay?”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...manager-fears-aish-may-have-to-risk-the-draft

They were ill advised comments, but not hypocritical!

I already did for him. Come on, you're better than this...

We posted at the same time, haha.

I didn't have a reason as I started posting, didn't see the context behind the two comments, not really contradictory as it turns out; my bad.

Two Eyes

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2007
east of eden
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where's Freeman's individual right to move clubs? To quote Neil Balme.

Shouldn't Aish repay Brisbane for their support? To quote him again.

Freeman IS being traded to the club of his choice. It's a bit rich to also expect us to give him whistles and fanfares.

It's very simple. Both clubs very disappointed an out of contract 2nd year player wants to leave. Both voice disappointment in the player. One says we'll trade him to the club of his choice and try to get the best return possible. The other throws their toys out of the cot and says their not playing.

EDIT. There are some Brisbane and Saints supporters with server problems with their comprehension if they can't see the different approach the Pies and Lions are taking. Why the Saints need to weigh in at all is puzzling. They will get their man (for hopefully a fair price).

Last edited:

Mick39

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why Balme is copping heat here. He wasn't at Collingwood when the Beams deal occurred.

Chris Fagan & Neil Balme have been the best performed football managers of any club in the last 10 years.

Stifler's mom

Premium Platinum
Jan 29, 2007
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool - Walk On!
Nah just a BF rumour atm, but I will say quite a lot of info gets leaked onto pies board about pie players etc. Quite a few people with a good strike rate with this stuff.

Oxley rumour however is just that.

I started the Oxley talk a while back but it wasn't suggested as a rumour or having substance, only an opinion of a decent fit for BL.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I started the Oxley talk a while back but it wasn't suggested as a rumour or having substance, only an opinion of a decent fit for BL.
I think it's gained some traction though given that he's not signed and apparently put off a decision until after the Copeland. Would expect to hear something soon either a short note to say he's re-signed or a longer one stating he's going.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Freeman IS being traded to the club of his choice. It's a bit rich to also expect us to give him whistles and fanfares.

It's very simple. Both clubs very disappointed an out of contract 2nd year player wants to leave. Both voice disappointment in the player. One says we'll trade him to the club of his choice and try to get the best return possible. The other throws their toys out of the cot and says their not playing.

EDIT. There are some Brisbane and Saints supporters with server problems with their comprehension if they can't see the different approach the Pies and Lions are taking. Why the Saints need to weigh in at all is puzzling. They will get their man (for hopefully a fair price).
I suspect Brisbane's approach would be different if they were expecting players like Treloar and Aish to come into the club.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes port did it and had other players request a trade but Stevens going to the draft had a Big positive.

The next clubs to want players traded fairly unlike what Collingwood were offering for nick.

Brisbane need to do the same if they want a decent return on players. It's not about scaring players into staying.

We offered our 1st rounder plus a player.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
yes and our recruiter said last season once we've made an offer to a player we feel it is our obligation to ensure we get them so they aren't left out in the dark.

Bodes well for a good trade result for us then!

Bodes well for a good trade result for us then!
Not really. "Obligation to ensure" means we are supposed to come up with a reasonable bid. Nothing new, would have done that anyway. But with the stance of NOT trading, we can claim to fulfilled that obligation and move on and get someone else .

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Tell us the difference.
Ok.

James Aish:

- Has played 2 years at Brisbane. Played some decent footy at times, but as his time there progress, he seemed to fall in and out of favour and never fully appeared engaged with the club.
- Is leaving a club that has, for whatever reason, failed to retain young talent.
- He is moving to one of the biggest clubs, which can be seen as obvious motivation when contrasted with what its like playing football at Brisbane.
- Is not leaving for more money.

Nathan Freeman:
- Is yet to play any games at senior level, is yet to play any decent games at VFL level.
- Is leaving a club where young players have developed into quality footballers and seems to be a great environmwnt for young talent to develop.
- He is moving to a much smaller market.
- He is leaving for more money.

See the difference? Both in motivation and the clubs approach?

MagpieMilitia

Senior List
Aug 21, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
To an extent, the difference is, one player has shown to be worthy of his draft standing, and the other has sadly had to deal with repeat injuries since being drafted. Regardless of the pick difference, most neutrals would agree that Aish has the higher upside (more to do with football skill and smarts as opposed to athletic capabilities). Most would also agree that Aish probably slipped lower than most would have guessed and that Collingwood reached (slightly) for Freeman. If Freeman had showed something similar to Aish to this point in their careers, then yes I would feel the same about that.

Wow you worked hard to engineer that one. Freeman gone is our bad luck and ditto for aish.

Back