Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Fossey

Debutant
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On one hand, I think Brisbane would be stupid to let him go for nothing. On the other hand, I can respect them saying "enough is enough".

It's clear they're sick of young players walking out. What they need to do is figure out why it's happening. Some of it has been homesickness, but a couple of these guys appear to simply not want to play for Brisbane, something clearly has to change.

Seeing some of the comments guys like Rockliff and Hanley have made RE: guys leaving. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a toxic attitude among the team leaders towards guys who are out of contract and don't re-sign quickly, which would make them want out even more.
By far biggest issue for players from southern states coming to Brisbane is that AFL is very much a secondary sport behind Rugby League up here. Players are essentially nobodies. This may suit a small number of players, but not many. Other key issue is training facilities etc. are not comparable to other clubs, and this won't change unless AFL is prepared to finance upgrade (unlike Southern states, Govt unlikely to help much ... Their interest is NRL). Obviously success would counter some of this ..... But this will be difficult if keep losing players, the AFL downgrades potential avenues such as the Academies, and the big powerhouse Melbourne clubs treat Brisbane as a feeder club.

Helix

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2003
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Southport Sharks
We're not the ones refusing to even discuss a trade.

We've traded with a number of teams in the last few years and made win/win trades, e.g. Shaw/Adams, Lumumba/Clark/Varcoe, Wellingham to the eagles, even Beams/Pick 5-25 and Crisp.
I have to trust the 2 ex Collingwood inner sanctumers at our club, that they are taking the correct path here... Besides, I love it when Collingwood doesn't get everything so easy, it happens so rarely.

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah. Absolutely OK with letting him go to draft rather than trade for essentially nothing to Collingwood (what will they have to trade anyway). Is the right medium long term action. As it was, any player struggling to get a game in top 22 in an injury ravage, Brisbane side that finishes second last, is not a great loss. Greatest mistake was picking him in first place.

Why nothing?
If he is not great loss trade him for your 5th round pick?

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would something like Picks 22 and 26 count as 'nothing' in your book? Serious question. What if the pies trade into a pick in the teens and offer that?

The pies actually have a good track record with trades (going both ways) that are fair.
That is a fair trade. I get why the club is making him go through the draft, but he was a flight risk ever since we called out his name in the 2013 draft. Take the bloody picks, trade them for Bell and Casboult and move on. It's not like we are getting unders for Aish, we are actually getting a fair compensation for him.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
What opportunity has he not been given?

This same bloke that is complaining about his mistreatment has been cited and acknowledged by the club as going out on weekdays and getting smashed.

He would still be at Collingwood if we had decided to pay his absurd asking price of a what, 200% salary increase when he hasn't played a game? Thats why he is leaving, because St Kilda thinks he warrants that.

Aish on the other hand is leaving because he isn't happy at Brisbane for a wide variety of reasons but not because he wants more money.

Freeman is giving up the opportunity to play at the biggest club in the country for money. While Aish refuses to waste his career playing infront of 3000 people a week. Cant really begrudge him for that.

He told the club his hamstring wasn't right. They told him, it's fine, go and play VFL, he played, he re-injured it.

He must be following the example set by senior players.

Freeman was offered a one year deal on close to base salary and you're criticising him for that?

Get off your high horse.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have to trust the 2 ex Collingwood inner sanctumers at our club, that they are taking the correct path here... Besides, I love it when Collingwood doesn't get everything so easy, it happens so rarely.
That's about as mature as me saying I love it when everything goes wrong for Brisbane. As Neil Balme said on the radio the other day, it's not a great way to run a club.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
But they are according to the person who matters Aish.

Brisbane trade isn't the only way for us to get him to the club.

Plenty of clubs before you in the draft who'll gladly take Aish.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He told the club his hamstring wasn't right. They told him, it's fine, go and play VFL, he played, he re-injured it.

Freeman was offered a one year deal on close to base salary and you're criticising him for that?

Get off your high horse.
First, you're in the wrong thread.
Second, you're talking drivel.
Third, we're going to trade with you anyway and you're getting a good player at a discount price. Why are you here bagging us?

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It will not be nothing, that's the point. We get a great deal out of it.
Not if Aish gets to his destination. Then we have egg on our face and look like a bunch of idiots. He is no Paddy Dangerfield.

I would be all for sending Aish to the draft, but we are going to get compensated by Collingwood. We will get Pick 24 + Pick 26 or Sydneys pick 14 after Collingwood trade their second rounders to Sydney. Either way we are not getting screwed in the deal like we did with Longer, Polec, Yeo and Docherty.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
COLLINGWOOD football manager Neil Balme has challenged the loyalties of unsigned speedster Nathan Freeman.

“One would expect he would have a responsibility to repay the support”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...533141248?sv=a9107291b777e79dca41022d20328bca

Today:

Collingwood football chief Neil Balme has blasted the Lions' hardline stance on Aish's trade request.

“where's the individual's right? ... I mean, what sort of an environment would you be providing if you're making people stay?”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...manager-fears-aish-may-have-to-risk-the-draft
This is gold. Bravo.

Helix

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2003
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Southport Sharks
That's about as mature as me saying I love it when everything goes wrong for Brisbane. As Neil Balme said on the radio the other day, it's not a great way to run a club.
I am not concerned with how Neil Balme feels about how Brisbane run the club, I suspect that they aren't either. This is about the principle, and I for one applaud the decision.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
First, you're in the wrong thread.
Second, you're talking drivel.
Third, we're going to trade with you anyway and you're getting a good player at a discount price. Why are you here bagging us?

First, conversations develop, get over it.

Second, straight from the horse's mouth.

Third, I'm not bagging the Pies, I'm knocking the supporters who denigrate Freeman leaving, and applaud Aish arriving.

Helix

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2003
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Southport Sharks
Not if Aish gets to his destination. Then we have egg on our face and look like a bunch of idiots. He is no Paddy Dangerfield.

I would be all for sending Aish to the draft, but we are going to get compensated by Collingwood. We will get Pick 24 + Pick 26 or Sydneys pick 14 after Collingwood trade their second rounders to Sydney. Either way we are not getting screwed in the deal like we did with Longer, Polec, Yeo and Docherty.
We got screwed with Longer, Polec, Yeo and Docherty, despite the fact that we traded with those teams.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am not concerned with how Neil Balme feels about how Brisbane run the club, I suspect that they aren't either. This is about the principle, and I for one applaud the decision.
Personally, I think its a silly principle and a counter-productive way to demonstrate that principle. We'd happily* trade you what you'd need to satisfy Carlton for Bell and Casboult and you'd still have your own picks as well to use as you wish.

From a culture/player attraction/retention standpoint, nothing succeeds like success. Trading one player who doesn't want to be there and didn't put 100% in this year for two mature players who fill positional needs and want to be there is a good outcome out of a bad situation and will get you more success than losing Aish for nothing but "teaching a lesson" to the young players on your list.

* - happily, after all the normal groans and carry on that passes for haggling in AFL trade week.

pie machine

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Get off your high horse.
Freeman likes to drink ,doesnt like to be told what to do so he should suit your club

Two Eyes

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2007
east of eden
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the remote chance Collingwood could offer 2 x second rounders, that MAY be worth looking at, given the points value for drafting Academy picks. Anything less .... Let him walk to Draft.
Nothing remote about it.

Pies have Freeman, Ben Kennedy and Seedsman (chased by 3 clubs) exiting all of which can realistically expect a 2nd rounder in return. Plus we are expected to get a 2nd from GWS along with Treloar for our 2 1st rounders. We will be swimming in 2nd rounders this year.

A lot of people don't seem to get that the pies can and will offer fair value if Brisbane stop saying they won't do a deal. .

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Di

Didnt say he was hopeless & would prefer he stayed. Just that he is not critical & if we need to use the loss of him to send message, or even get future honest comments from future draft picks that they really don't want to go to Brisbane .. So we don't waste future picks, than it will be well worth it.
I fully understand, however, how do u know he said he wanted to stay at Brisbane if he was drafted? I think you need to take a look at your recruiters rather than blame the player. He was on a 2 yr contract and fulfilled his contract (unlike Beams). Now that he has fulfilled it, he wants to move on. I think the lions are actually heading in a dangerous direction where there will be a number of draftees who will try to influence not being drafted by them.

Back