The know it alls of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Roughead or Morris fall over they are in for a world of hurt....
Rounds eight to eighteen will be really tough for them in terms of win/loss.... (7-3 result)

Just shows what muppet Jon Ralph is really. You know, incase you needed more evidence.

That was the 23rd of March. Before the season had started.

I bet you any amount of money that if you go back to that period in time, people would have been more negative regarding our ability to get results during the year, to the point of agreeing with some of those points made in the video.

Easy to scold in hindsight.

I thought we'd be bottom two when libba went down.

Very interesting, I don't think anyone at all saw Wallis blossoming into the role Libba had been playing so effectively. I especially don't think anyone saw Wallis developing that second string to his bow (ability to play forward). He is now a smart forward who doesn't seem to have any real natural forward talents but he leads at the ball carrier, and is a very nice set shot. Basic yet effective forward craft, lead, mark ball inside 50, go back and convert.

Very interesting, I don't think anyone at all saw Wallis blossoming into the role Libba had been playing so effectively. I especially don't think anyone saw Wallis developing that second string to his bow (ability to play forward). He is now a smart forward who doesn't seem to have any real natural forward talents but he leads at the ball carrier, and is a very nice set shot. Basic yet effective forward craft, lead, mark ball inside 50, go back and convert.
Not to toot my own horn but I did. Always thought he had the natural football nous to succeed and was always a fan of his set shots and marking overhead.

I don't think the review was unwarranted for the time it was written and it would be far fetched to expect to see us where we are now.. Most of us thought we'd only marginally improve at the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to toot my own horn but I did. Always thought he had the natural football nous to succeed and was always a fan of his set shots and marking overhead.
I thought Wallis was a try-hard that had 3 tricks:

1. Jump on the ball
2. Tackle the guy with the ball
3. Hack the ball forward

Never been happier to be wrong.

Interesting comment from Johnno aligns with my thoughts.. Once Hamling and Fletch are settled in the backline we'll see Roughead spend time up forward

The signs were there last season- it's just that no one in the footy world actually took notice. It was all about the inevitable GWS and GCS and Melbourne with their messiahs and all their first round picks. Did no one notice

- How good McCrae, Stringer, Bont, Libba, Wallis, JJ, Dahl were after immediately been thrown into the hot seats. Obviously all have (and will get better).

- how developing a better game plan would help us.

- How our reserves were absolutely spanking the corresponding reserves of the so called power clubs. That showed that we had by far the best depth around.

- How the ones who left were the ones who didn't defend (Griffen being the exception). Our BF supporters knew this- have a look at the comments directed at Higgins, Jones and Cooney last year. We lost the players we exactly needed to lose.

- How good our recruiting is. Some clubs keep making the right decisions.

- this may be controversial to say but I believe our lack of a premiership has given us a fire in the belly to succeed. You can see it in our supporters and it translates to the players and the administration. This is an intangible that Gold Coast, GWS and the big clubs (Richmond are probably the exception) could never understand.

Johno aside, King was the only one who looked like he had actually watched us play during the preseason.

The real surprise, I think, is the output from guys like Wood, Moyd, Picken, Dickson, Wallis, Dal and JJ -- thats 1/3rd of an AFL team with players in career best form who are playing their roles as well as anyone in the AFL, and playing them with a consistency that has allowed us to carry the fluctuating form of the younger guys.

To be honest most Dogs fans on here like myself predicted us to rise. Own supporters can pick this better than so called media experts. Last fews years, we all knew we were rubbish. Cleaned out a lot, Coons, Gia, Jones, Williams etc.. and the kids were good. All sides have youngster but ours were looking good even last year. The whole Macca/Griffen thing was the best thing to happen to the club in years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back