The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone else reading the 3rd, & what will be the last, set of books in the saga?

There are 4 books in this part of the saga

The Runes of the Earth
Fatal Revenant
Against All Things Ending
The Last Dark – (expected to be released in 2013)

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Runes of the Earth.

Before starting this latest set of books I re-read the 1st & 2nd chronicles and was frankly happy for the tale to end with White Gold Wielder.

So far though The Runes of the Earth has not been a disappointment, with further exploration of the nature of the Ranyhyn plus extending the commitments of the Haruchai to what is a logical extension of Covenant's request of them. I am uneasy about the prospects of time travel though, which is the direction the Runes of the Earth is taking about 2/3rds of the way in.

The progeny of Cail and the merewives, Esmer, is a surprise.

I last read them a long time ago, but if memory serves me correct it finished nicely with White Gold Wielder.
So I am in 2 minds about getting the new ones. However, until now, I didn't know they existed so...

I'm a pretty big S.R. Donaldson fan, particularly the first two Covenant trilogies (the first three books are the best imo) and the Gap cycle.

But I can't help but admit my general disappointment as to the shape the 3rd Covenant chronicles have taken.

I can give away spoilers on request, but to those who thought it wrapped up really well in White Gold Wielder (and it was a superb ending), then really I can't recommend dipping a toe into the 3rd chrons.

Really disappointing, although I will still read the fourth book of the series of course, being a completist.

Anyone care to discuss favourite scenes/themes of the first two chronicles ?? cuz those books freakin' rule.

The time travel aspect is a poor cop out to re-introduce favourite characters, it really is lazy plot construction.

I'm about 1/4 way through Fatal Revenant, so far the unexpected is far too painfully obvious.

I will continue to work through them, they are not quick books to read, plus I have, several times, gone back to the previous chronicles to again read through parts to clarify issues.

The time travel aspect is a poor cop out to re-introduce favourite characters, it really is lazy plot construction.

I'm about 1/4 way through Fatal Revenant, so far the unexpected is far too painfully obvious.

I will continue to work through them, they are not quick books to read, plus I have, several times, gone back to the previous chronicles to again read through parts to clarify issues.

FR was my least favourite of the three 3rd chrons books so far.

compared to the Illearth War, which is the 2nd book in the First Chrons (and my personal favourite of the whole series) or the One Tree (2nd book of the 2nd chrons) and FR falls painfully short.

***** FR spoilers*****
not having Covenant as the main POV character for the first two books beggars belief, but then again what choice did SRD have ? The whole exercise has been futile thus far imo, and even if 'The Last Dark' turns out to be a masterpiece, it doesnt change the fact that the first three books just weren't up to the standards of what has gone before ...

FR was my least favourite of the three 3rd chrons books so far.

compared to the Illearth War, which is the 2nd book in the First Chrons (and my personal favourite of the whole series) or the One Tree (2nd book of the 2nd chrons) and FR falls painfully short.

***** FR spoilers*****
not having Covenant as the main POV character for the first two books beggars belief, but then again what choice did SRD have ? The whole exercise has been futile thus far imo, and even if 'The Last Dark' turns out to be a masterpiece, it doesnt change the fact that the first three books just weren't up to the standards of what has gone before ...

Early on in The Runes of the Earth Roger was introduced as the protagonist, that's fine, I can see the logic, him wanting what was his father's. But the central issue of Joan having her ring restored to her, and that being an influence on "The Land" whilst still in our reality, no that went against everything established in the 1st 2 trilogies. Then compounding it with a story line of Jeremiah visiting "The Land" because of his mental issues, sorry, I don't buy that.

Still, I'll strive on, coz SRD can hook a reader.

I've tried to start the first trilogy twice and haven't managed to keep interested, just keep getting distracted. The first time I started it the new Rothfuss book came out which took over my life. I'm gonna have to read this over the xmas break methinks

I've tried to start the first trilogy twice and haven't managed to keep interested, just keep getting distracted. The first time I started it the new Rothfuss book came out which took over my life. I'm gonna have to read this over the xmas break methinks

Stewie the first book can be a difficult read imo; it's kinda slow, not a helluva lot happens; it's a quiet book if you can have such a thing.
But it is absolutely crucial to the overall story, and having re-read it at least twice since my original read (like you I even put it down a couple of times before completion) I've grown to absolutely love Lord Foul's Bane.
After that comes the Illearth War, which is not only my favourite Thomas Covenant book, but one of my favourite books of all time period.

Stewie the first book can be a difficult read imo; it's kinda slow, not a helluva lot happens; it's a quiet book if you can have such a thing.
But it is absolutely crucial to the overall story, and having re-read it at least twice since my original read (like you I even put it down a couple of times before completion) I've grown to absolutely love Lord Foul's Bane.
After that comes the Illearth War, which is not only my favourite Thomas Covenant book, but one of my favourite books of all time period.

I loved the start, its just hard going about 100-200 pages in, tbh I found LOTR much the same (but worse lol). Its hard for me to find time to concentrate on a book with a young baby, so just reading popcorn stuff atm, but I'm definitely going to get through it

Early on in The Runes of the Earth Roger was introduced as the protagonist, that's fine, I can see the logic, him wanting what was his father's. But the central issue of Joan having her ring restored to her, and that being an influence on "The Land" whilst still in our reality, no that went against everything established in the 1st 2 trilogies. Then compounding it with a story line of Jeremiah visiting "The Land" because of his mental issues, sorry, I don't buy that.

Still, I'll strive on, coz SRD can hook a reader.

Sadly I reckon the prologue in Runes is probably one of the better moments in the first three books.

Still, keep me updated on your Fatal Revenant musings Asgardian.
From memory I got reeeeeally frustrated with the 2nd half of the book.

Luckily for you, you won't have to wait 3 years for Against All Things Ending (which, mildly encouragingly, was probably my fave of the first three).

Actually I should probably qualify some of my negativity by saying that upon re-reading certain parts, Fatal Revenant maybe had a little bit more going for it than I initially thought, but mainly in the light of later revelations, and not so much on it's own steam ..

I loved the start, its just hard going about 100-200 pages in, tbh I found LOTR much the same (but worse lol). Its hard for me to find time to concentrate on a book with a young baby, so just reading popcorn stuff atm, but I'm definitely going to get through it

yeah it is very slow in parts for sure.

however I came to really just enjoy Donaldson's descriptions of the Lands beauty - did you make it to the Celebration of Spring ? Really well written chapter. Actually the preceding chapter set in the Woodhelven was pretty good too.

But yeah, I'd encourage you to persist, because the rest of the first chronicles really picks up pace-wise.

LOTR; meh, I've read it twice I think, and I can definitely understand how it captured the imagination of so many people, but overall I find the more existential Covenant series a lot more engaging, personally ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SStill, keep me updated on your Fatal Revenant musings Asgardian.

From memory I got reeeeeally frustrated with the 2nd half of the book.

Yellinin has just left the trio to return to Berek's camp.

Linden's musings about her changing the past by saving so many people and Covenant's explanation that The Theomach will put it all right is just wrong on any level you'd want to consider or discuss.

The way Covenant is acting is wrong, Linden is guessing he is not Covenant, so am I. SRD has been lazy with his plot development, but the portrayal of Covenant cannot be lazy writing, it is too deliberate for that.

Have to wait and see.

Inbull was an impossible commander in Berek's army based on everything we had learnt from the previous chronicles, so why try and keep it a secret?

And the interminable journey through the cold has been just too much of the same stuff.

Yellinin has just left the trio to return to Berek's camp.

Linden's musings about her changing the past by saving so many people and Covenant's explanation that The Theomach will put it all right is just wrong on any level you'd want to consider or discuss.

The way Covenant is acting is wrong, Linden is guessing he is not Covenant, so am I. SRD has been lazy with his plot development, but the portrayal of Covenant cannot be lazy writing, it is too deliberate for that.

Have to wait and see.

Inbull was an impossible commander in Berek's army based on everything we had learnt from the previous chronicles, so why try and keep it a secret?

And the interminable journey through the cold has been just too much of the same stuff.

hey Asgardian, thanks for the update.

I'm restraining myself from adressing certain things until you are further along in the story

Even though I have expressed my misgivings for the 'final' chronicles, as with a lot of SRD's work, particularly the earlier chronicles, the re-reads yield a surprising amount, and his skill as a writer often becomes even more evident.
I found Fatal Revenant really frustrating; and yet in retrospect I quite liked the first half of the book, and parts of the second half.
I absolutely maintain that the 3rd chronicles has been a bit of a fizzer in my experience thus far when compared to the earlier pair of trilogies, but I still hold out hope for a really satisfying conclusion which will tie things together - I do have faith in SRD, even though it has been sorely tested.

Looking back at the 1st chronicles, I really struggled with Lord Foul's Bane, and it took me until Illearth War to be convinced Donaldson was in full command of his story.
The 2nd chronicles was a different experience, I thought it started really strongly, had a puzzling, convoluted second act but finished very very nicely (many have complained, even in this thread, that .
Nostalgia can be a funny thing; I absolutely love the 1st & (to a slightly lesser extent) 2nd chronicles, but they both had long passages which tested my patience upon first reading them (less so on subsequent readings).

What do you think of the new characters Asgardian ?

Looking back at the 1st chronicles, I really struggled with Lord Foul's Bane, and it took me until Illearth War to be convinced Donaldson was in full command of his story.

Lord Foul's Bane had the disadvantage of having to introduce us to the characters and a whole new world, where very little of our earthly existence held sway.

The desecration of Lena set us up for many past & coming events.

I hated it happening, which is what SRD wanted, it was skillfully done along with Lena's subsequent actions and Triock's fury.

The murder of a Waynhim, Soaring Woodhelven, the Dance of the Wraiths and journey with Saltheart Foamfollower were all highlights.

But the introduction to Revelstone was on an even higher level, I loved that segment.

The quest, Soaring Woodhelven's destruction & trap, meeting the Ramen & trek through Mount Thunder all held the interest.

One point, Lords Variol & Tamarantha's sacrifice was pointless. They could have established themselves away from the main group, drawing many towards them and by fighting would have drawn more for longer. But their lame sacrifice was clumsy by SRD.

Still it was a set-up, an introduction, a necessary for what was to follow.

The Illearth War was a fantastic read, mainly because it had an "our world" counter to Covenant -- Hile Troy. The success of this counter point was the basis for the 2nd chronicles with Linden taking Troy's place. It was a successful plot device.

The 2nd chronicles was a different experience, I thought it started really strongly, had a puzzling, convoluted second act but finished very very nicely (many have complained, even in this thread, that .
Nostalgia can be a funny thing; I absolutely love the 1st & (to a slightly lesser extent) 2nd chronicles, but they both had long passages which tested my patience upon first reading them (less so on subsequent readings).

The One Tree had the disadvantage of not being based in The Land

I'm going to leave this question until I trust them, too much is unsure at this stage of the novel.

I am liking Esmer (his yin & yang identity is interesting) & The Theomach (who at this stage has a nobility of character)

Lord Foul's Bane had the disadvantage of having to introduce us to the characters and a whole new world, where very little of our earthly existence held sway.

The desecration of Lena set us up for many past & coming events.

I hated it happening, which is what SRD wanted, it was skillfully done along with Lena's subsequent actions and Triock's fury.

The murder of a Waynhim, Soaring Woodhelven, the Dance of the Wraiths and journey with Saltheart Foamfollower were all highlights.

But the introduction to Revelstone was on an even higher level, I loved that segment.

The quest, Soaring Woodhelven's destruction & trap, meeting the Ramen & trek through Mount Thunder all held the interest.

One point, Lords Variol & Tamarantha's sacrifice was pointless. They could have established themselves away from the main group, drawing many towards them and by fighting would have drawn more for longer. But their lame sacrifice was clumsy by SRD.

Still it was a set-up, an introduction, a necessary for what was to follow.

The Illearth War was a fantastic read, mainly because it had an "our world" counter to Covenant -- Hile Troy. The success of this counter point was the basis for the 2nd chronicles with Linden taking Troy's place. It was a successful plot device.

The One Tree had the disadvantage of not being based in The Land

I'm going to leave this question until I trust them, too much is unsure at this stage of the novel.

I am liking Esmer (his yin & yang identity is interesting) & The Theomach (who at this stage has a nobility of character)

Great post, I agree with everything you wrote. :thumbsu:

Whilst I mentioned in an earlier post that I struggled through Lord Foul's Bane, first as a young kid and then again when I was about 18 (I did finish it that 2nd time); I re-read it yet again about 5 years ago and just loved everything about it. (your point about the Tamarantha/Variol sacrifice was a really good one though; that scene was always a bit meh, Tamarantha's main legacy story-wise was relating a/the tale of the Creator to Covenant and company).

The book has a certain stately, quiet beauty to it which SRD never really allows the Land to recapture again.
Covenant himself is at his most caustic and self-pitying; personally I can't understand people who enjoy the books yet dislike his character (they're out there), Covenant to me has always been a character I can sympathise if not empathise with; his life is pretty damn bleak (the opening chapters beautifully set-up his obstinate adherence to the Laws of Leprosy); and some casual readers may not grasp the full implications of his terror of being cast in his role as saviour for the Land.
His is a really well-explored dilemma - you mentioned Hile Troy, and it wasn't perhaps until Troy had paid a huge price for his unquestioning belief in the Land that Covenant's stance of Unbelief - which amounts to being a grumpy conscientious objector - began to gain more validity beyond the scope Covenant's own self-preservation.

All the scenes in LFB which you mentioned are stellar; I used to have a problem with the pacing in the first half of the book, perhaps it was my youthful impatience to get to the 'action' or something; Donaldson himself has hinted that he might have written it better as a more experienced writer, but I'd hardly change a thing about it; the crucial exposition is all handled so naturally and memorably; the conflict and drama never seems forced or contrived.

I'll spare you my rant regarding Illearth War, which is one of my very favourite books full stop, it's a ripper.

hey Asgardian, thanks for the update.

I'm restraining myself from adressing certain things until you are further along in the story

I've just finished past the battle between Roger & his cavewights plus kresh against Linden & her allies against The Harrow against Esmer.

From where I left of with Linden, Covenant & Jeremiah.

Their entry into and confrontation in Melenkurion Skyweir was kind of what I expected, broadly, but I got the details wrong. I expected Covenant & Jeremiah to be under the influence of Roger by way of his mother's white gold ring, so it being Roger disguised by magic was okay, I was close. A croyel controlling Jeremiah was unexpected.

The Mahdoubt was a character that was just too good to be true or believable, although the Insequent are an interesting race with far more scope than the single themed Elohim.

The Masters are becoming a little less rigid which has helped the story evolve, without this happening there would no progression, so I am content with this development.

My big disappointment was the mess & deliberate confusion of the big battle, who was fighting who & why.

Linden is being driven to near despair, her search for the Krill will facilitate a new desecration, maybe, or some new violation of law. It's inevitable, so I'm guessing "Against All Things Ending" is going to be preoccupied with repairing the damage Linden is going to cause at the end of "Fatal Revenant", leaving "The Last Dark" free for long winded revelations & sub-plot conclusions and a story ending.

I still like Esmer & The Theomach. The Mahdoubt less so & The Harrow is SRD's story line "pain in the arse". I am keen to see how The Vizard will be used considering what has already happened to him.

I've just finished past the battle between Roger & his cavewights plus kresh against Linden & her allies against The Harrow against Esmer.

From where I left of with Linden, Covenant & Jeremiah.

Their entry into and confrontation in Melenkurion Skyweir was kind of what I expected, broadly, but I got the details wrong. I expected Covenant & Jeremiah to be under the influence of Roger by way of his mother's white gold ring, so it being Roger disguised by magic was okay, I was close. A croyel controlling Jeremiah was unexpected.

The Mahdoubt was a character that was just too good to be true or believable, although the Insequent are an interesting race with far more scope than the single themed Elohim.

The Masters are becoming a little less rigid which has helped the story evolve, without this happening there would no progression, so I am content with this development.

My big disappointment was the mess & deliberate confusion of the big battle, who was fighting who & why.

Linden is being driven to near despair, her search for the Krill will facilitate a new desecration, maybe, or some new violation of law. It's inevitable, so I'm guessing "Against All Things Ending" is going to be preoccupied with repairing the damage Linden is going to cause at the end of "Fatal Revenant", leaving "The Last Dark" free for long winded revelations & sub-plot conclusions and a story ending.

I still like Esmer & The Theomach. The Mahdoubt less so & The Harrow is SRD's story line "pain in the arse". I am keen to see how The Vizard will be used considering what has already happened to him.

thanks for the update Asgardian, interesting to hear your thoughts ... also frustrating though, as there are things I'd love to respond to or touch upon that are mildly spoilerish - I'd best keep my mouth shut.

Do you find the actual Thomas Covenant's absence from the story so far to be frustrating, or are you ok with it ?

Personally I can only take so much of Linden - a lot of readers find her a bit 'whiney', but my issue with her as the protagonist is that her interactions with the Lands inhabitants are never as compelling as Covenant's, particularly when compared to the 1st chronicles - Covenant was every bit as alien to the people of the Land as they were to him; his bleak stories of the 'real' world (e.g. 'the leper's suicide' in LFB, or 'the dancing leper lady' in TIW, the use of words and phrasees like 'solipsism' and 'scenery') always seemed to shock and dismay them; Linden's presence doesn't seem to cause that same dissonance; her power marks her as a figure of importance, but in some ways she could be any ol' stranger to the Land.

ok, I can talk about the Roger/TC 'glamor' now - I picked up straight away that even though he quacked like a duck, it wasn't the real Covenant - not too hard to discern that there was something fishy going on (the give away to me was that Roger always grinning; TC *veeeery rarely* smiled in the first two chrons, like, once at the end of the 1st chrons and 2 times - 3 tops - in the 2nd).
On a positive note I found that knowing the 'twist' in advance during a FR re-read actually made it a bit more enjoyable; knowing it was Roger all along casting sly ridicule at Linden made it a bit more delicious.

Like yourself I was surprised by the croyel reveal.

The 'Everything but the kitchen sink' battle was pretty shite I thought; just a really un-Donaldson like sequence; it seemed awkwardly plotted and staged and I experienced negligible excitement when reading it.

The Insequent are a funny addition - I had big problems with the way Donaldson retro-fitted them into the story, after AATE my opinion on them had softened somewhat, but I still have issues and points of confusion.

From memory the part of the book which you are most likely reading right now was my least favourite section of the whole last chronicles, I still remember my growing sense of impatience, frustration and disappointment.

I can't really say much more other than to agree that Esmer is a cool character (I've read a few readers who complained of him being a deus ex machina device, but I disagree; I found him quite a sympathetic character in many ways) and I actually like the Harrow, he's a smart-arse and there's not enough smart-arses in the Land ;)

thanks for the update Asgardian, interesting to hear your thoughts ... also frustrating though, as there are things I'd love to respond to or touch upon that are mildly spoilerish - I'd best keep my mouth shut.

That's cool

I am dead certain that Linden is going to become a 2nd coming of Kevin, everything is heading that way. Or at the very least some "Laws" are going to be broken .............. again.

Do you find the actual Thomas Covenant's absence from the story so far to be frustrating, or are you ok with it ?

Actually I'm okay with the suggestions of appearance of Covenant by way of spiritualized messages, plus we had the quasi-Covenant & Jeremiah for a substantial chunk of the book. Okay, we both smelled fish when there really was a whole cannery in operation, but still, the memories were kindled.

Personally I can only take so much of Linden - a lot of readers find her a bit 'whiney', but my issue with her as the protagonist is that her interactions with the Lands inhabitants are never as compelling as Covenant's, particularly when compared to the 1st chronicles - Covenant was every bit as alien to the people of the Land as they were to him; his bleak stories of the 'real' world (e.g. 'the leper's suicide' in LFB, or 'the dancing leper lady' in TIW, the use of words and phrasees like 'solipsism' and 'scenery') always seemed to shock and dismay them; Linden's presence doesn't seem to cause that same dissonance; her power marks her as a figure of importance, but in some ways she could be any ol' stranger to the Land.

In the 1st Chronicles Covenant was the proverbial "fish out of water", the points of angst, dislocation & alienism were pronounced and frankly one of the most important messages of that trilogy ---

Overcoming being alone, accepting help & friendship, becoming loved and giving love all set about dealing with those themes.

The 2nd Chronicles Covenant reluctantly accepted the role of guide, Linden was the "fish out of water".

The importance of her running away within her own conscience, then Covenant being trapped within & later Linden again likewise, was the theme of the 2nd Chronicles. Overcoming fears, doubts, lack of self worth and again embracing love were a heady wine that I gleefully consumed with every page of "White Gold Wielder"

The Last Chronicles lacks the "fish out of water" and tries to make up for it by giving us Kevin's Dirt, thereby making the inhabitants of the land a whole school of fish. So far that has not lived up to the excellence of the 1st 2 Chronicles. Hence the feeling we are missing out what we want from a Chronicles of the Unbeliever.

ok, I can talk about the Roger/TC 'glamor' now - I picked up straight away that even though he quacked like a duck, it wasn't the real Covenant - not too hard to discern that there was something fishy going on (the give away to me was that Roger always grinning; TC *veeeery rarely* smiled in the first two chrons, like, once at the end of the 1st chrons and 2 times - 3 tops - in the 2nd).
On a positive note I found that knowing the 'twist' in advance during a FR re-read actually made it a bit more enjoyable; knowing it was Roger all along casting sly ridicule at Linden made it a bit more delicious.

That's a good pick up, the constant grinning, plus to me the constant lack of empathy by the Roger?Covenant (letting Linden freeze so often). If there is one thing in spades that Covenant has, it's empathy. He doesn't let it rule him, but by god he feels it.

Like yourself I was surprised by the croyel reveal.

Yes, that was a well done twist by SRD.

The 'Everything but the kitchen sink' battle was pretty shite I thought; just a really un-Donaldson like sequence; it seemed awkwardly plotted and staged and I experienced negligible excitement when reading it.

Yes, it was a mess

Linden & her friends vs Roger & his cavewights

Then vs The Harrow vs Esmer, vs the Ur-Viles & Waynhim

The the fleeing Woodhelvennin vs the Raver & the kresh

And all variously with or against Linden & her friends

It sounds like a god-awful mess just writing it down

The Insequent are a funny addition - I had big problems with the way Donaldson retro-fitted them into the story, after AATE my opinion on them had softened somewhat, but I still have issues and points of confusion.

I like the fact SRD has given the Insequent points of difference. they are not interchangeable, unlike the Elohim, who are all the same same with their own interests, but power wise they are all alike.

From memory the part of the book which you are most likely reading right now was my least favourite section of the whole last chronicles, I still remember my growing sense of impatience, frustration and disappointment.

Actually at this point I am liking Mahrtiir's acceptance of fate & humble honour. I'm not sure what will happen to him, he has just set himself up as the sacrificial lamb, but I'm keen to read further.

Linden is heading further down the track of Kevin, seeking shortcuts but asking Hyn to take her to Jeremiah which would have meant abandoning her friends, just as Kevin did to the Bloodguard.

Despair & desecration can't be far away, I reckon.

I can't really say much more other than to agree that Esmer is a cool character (I've read a few readers who complained of him being a deus ex machina device, but I disagree; I found him quite a sympathetic character in many ways)

That's interesting, I felt the Elohim were used that way in "The One Tree"

I agree with your comment about Esmer.

and I actually like the Harrow, he's a smart-arse and there's not enough smart-arses in the Land ;)

I need to read further, see if The Harrow has depth of character.

One issue about the Last Chronicles I will mention now, it's SRD's use of profanity.

Okay, Roger is the Devil himself (well nearly;)) and SRD wanted that made known from page one, but the introduction of profanity now is just a lazy way of re-enforcing that point, we are not stupid readers, I resent this cheap & tawdry development.

I have finished Fatal Revenant

I'd like to hear your thoughts of it now.

hey Asgardian; have you started on Against All Things Ending yet ?

My thoughts on Fatal Revenant; very quickly (I've already gone over a lot of it throughout the thread of course) :

When I first read it I was disappointed, it still is probably the most disappointing book in the entire chronicles for mine.
** FATAL REVENANT SPOILERS ** >>
However after reading AATE certain sections began to resonate more; I have had a semi-re-read of Fatal Revenant and was surprised to find that I enjoyed Roger's bastardized version of his father more the 2nd time around knowing that it was definitely him (I strongly suspected it was Roger; and I was *positive* it wasn't the 'real' Covenant from the get-go).
I enjoyed the way in which Esmer & Stave (and to a slightly lesser extent Mahtiir) were written; SRD excels in writing characters with conflicted natures like these three.

But there was plenty that annoyed and disappointed me; the introduction of the party of Giants was a real anti-climax; the Giants themselves were largely anonymous and perfunctory - I *hated* the battle with the skurj, it had a computer-game quality to it that really didn't work for me at all.
The stuff with the viles should have been great but it was just silly, the ALL CAPS SPEECH was gimmicky in the extreme, I can't believe SRD went for that.

I *did* like Linden's meeting with the Forestal; SRD evokes his raw power really well. I gotta be careful as I nearly spilt a bit of an AATE spoiler there :-I

I remember being severely frustrated at the continued absence of the real Thomas Covenant, growing increasingly bitter towards Linden Avery's character, who for many reasons has just never really done it for me as a protagonist the way TC does.

I liked the Theomach but I didn't like the trip into the past - meh, the whole book felt wrong to me.

At the time I recall weighing it up; I didn't *want* to be disappointed by the new Covenant series, on the contrary I was reeeeally excited about it.
But two books in (at that stage) and I couldn't say that the 3rd ('final') chronicles measured up to the first two chronicles in any way.

In a way there have been diminishing returns for me from Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books; the first chronicles is *perfect* as far as I'm concerned, a really under-appreciated classic trilogy.
The 2nd chronicles was a really good sequel to the first; I didn't enjoy it with the same passion and depth as I did the original series (it was a tough act to follow too), but SRD was still able to provide those highs with some regularity, and as a piece of writing it was a very clever achievement.
However I do have some misgivings about the 2nd trilogy; The Land at times seems 'sketched in' as SRD chooses to go further and further into the psyches of Covenant and Linden; *part* of the reason that I loved the 1st chronicles so much was that SRD *grounded* it so wonderfully; the 'real world' chapters gave a real sense of perspective to proceedings; Covenant's own trenchant unbelief asked all the questions the reader might and more, and SRD's incredibly specific, evocative language when describing the physical surroundings of the Land - these things all served the story beautifully imo - all of this was diminished in the 2nd chronicles.

Sometimes the last chronicles have barely even seemed like the same series; but then I think back to how different the Land seemed from the 1st chronicles to the 2nd; perhaps this has been a deliberate or natural progression for SRD to tell his story (and certainly hundreds or thousands of years pass between each series; he's essentially re-booting the franchise every time round) - the Land seems more 'empty' than ever, and Donaldson's hand in manipulating his character's actions is ever more visible.

If there was a *first* chronicles thread, you could not shut me up for praise and enthusiasm.

btw; I thought Against All Things Ending was an improvement, it definitely had its problems too, but there was a lot I liked about it.

hey Asgardian; have you started on Against All Things Ending yet ?

I finished reading Against All Things Ending last week.

I'll do a post addressing your Fatal Revenant post, then another about Against All Things.

I'm keen now to buy The Last Dark which is expected sometime in October.

excellent, look forward to hearing the update ! :thumbsu:

Will be in a few days, I've just received in 70 odd new movies, so I'm busy updating my database, and doing updates on IMDB were I've found they are missing information on those movies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back