Multiplat The Last of Us

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_l...r_models_on_par_with_ps3_cutscene_models.html

The higher resolution character models featured in the PlayStation 4 remaster of The Last of Us will be "on par" with those featured in the PS3 version's cutscenes, creative director Neil Druckmann has told EDGE.

"We brought in all the hi-res models, and then it's on par with what you saw in the cutscenes," Druckmann said, speaking about the upcoming PS4 release with EDGE. "There's an improved lighting model. After that, we started looking across the board; enemies look a little blurry up close, so that was pretty easy. We ramped those up and saw a pretty significant difference.

"Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch," he continued. "It's interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is 'Can we fit all this on the disc?'"

Druckmann also suggested that Naughty Dog may look to take advantage of the features of the DualShock 4, adding that he wants to "give the option to switch which triggers you use to shoot and which ones you're using to listen and crouch.

"Then there are some ideas of how to use the touchpad that we'll play with and see if it's worth it," he added. "Mostly we don't want to mess with the experience too much, and we don't want to deviate from what made The Last of Us so great."

The Last of Us Remastered launches on PS4 this summer, with multiple retailers dating the game for release in June.

The upgrade in frame rate is worth it.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-it-naughty-dog-on-bringing-the-last-of-us-to-ps4/

The Last Of Us for PS4 isn’t the first 1080p remake for the new generation of consoles, but it might be the most difficult. Other developers have had something of a head start, thanks to the combination of having already created high-quality PC versions and the PC-like architecture of PS4 and Xbox One. The Last Of Us, however, was made exclusively for one of the most tricky pieces of hardware developers have ever had to support. Worse, it’s the pinnacle of technical achievements on the console, using an engine custom built for PS3 and code optimised to take advantage of every quirk of the hardware Naughty Dog discovered making PS3 games for seven years. Porting a game from PS3 to PS4, it seems, is harder than it looks.

“I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no,” creative director Neil Druckmann says. “We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds… that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimised the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimised on a binary level, but after shifting those things over [to PS4] you have to go back to the high level, make sure the [game] systems are intact, and optimise it again.

Interesting article.

The article said they are working on two new releases?! I know Uncharted 4 is coming but what is the other one? exciting times :D

http://www.gamepur.com/news/14720-l...-revealed-looks-more-deadly-and-fearsome.html

54heuxl.jpg

This bad boy was left on the cutting room floor.

F**k me thats insane, imagine being stuck in a room on survivor+ with one of these and a bloater? If they do a sequal i would imagine they use this one next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true, Sony are so goddamn incompetent when it comes to releases. So if it's coming out in 3 weeks but they haven't even given us an official release date, how is anyone meant to know to buy it when it releases?

My guess is that they are announcing the release date at E3.

I think this was meant to be one of their 'wow' moments where they go 'and you can buy it today' (original date was June 10th) but they screwed it up with the PSN leak.

My guess is that they are announcing the release date at E3.

I think this was meant to be one of their 'wow' moments where they go 'and you can buy it today' (original date was June 10th) but they screwed it up with the PSN leak.

That's even worse. That's like when Sega did it with the Saturn at E3 and nobody went out and bought one.

That's even worse. That's like when Sega did it with the Saturn at E3 and nobody went out and bought one.

That was 1996 though. Internet was hardly a thing back then. These days, if its on the net, you'll know about it within a day or 2

But yeah, Sega certainly ****ed the pooch on that one

Other difference is, this is a re release of a game that is barely a year old, hardly a new hardware launch where planning and execution is critical. * up a console launch and you can * your year up. * this up, and it'll barely * your week up

People already know if they're gonna buy this or not

That was 1996 though. Internet was hardly a thing back then. These days, if its on the net, you'll know about it within a day or 2

But yeah, Sega certainly ****** the pooch on that one

Other difference is, this is a re release of a game that is barely a year old, hardly a new hardware launch where planning and execution is critical. **** up a console launch and you can **** your year up. **** this up, and it'll barely **** your week up

People already know if they're gonna buy this or not

See I like to know at least a month in advance if a game is coming out so I can work my budget around it. Sacka in the other thread said it was coming August 7, GAME in that tweet said June 13th, I've had a look at game retailers like EB and JB and neither or them say anything, I do a google search and there's nothing from Sony. Sony in general just suck with media and releases, look at The Order but that's another story.

See I like to know at least a month in advance if a game is coming out so I can work my budget around it. Sacka in the other thread said it was coming August 7, GAME in that tweet said June 13th, I've had a look at game retailers like EB and JB and neither or them say anything, I do a google search and there's nothing from Sony. Sony in general just suck with media and releases, look at The Order but that's another story.

I get what you're saying about budget. Makes sense

FWIW i've heard June/July as well

With the people flying out the door there atm they may need some magic.
What about the people they have went in? People love to write up crap about the best, just look at the s**t thrown Nintendo's way. Of all the people that have left Naughty Dog only one had been there before The Last of US that was of significances (Amy Hernning).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back