The least interesting Grand Final ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

For the OP. Cast your mind back to the 2011 GF that was also a situation of the team that won it last year up against the team that won it the year before...

Just because we're s**t shouldn't take away from the spectacle of the two clear best teams of 2014 facing off in the GF!

I might even try to get tickets to it because it's going to be an absolute belter. Whereas a Sydney v Port GF would have been a lay down misere...

I want hawks to pulverize the swans. So that the hawks can let the swans know that money wont win them premierships. I have a lot of respect for hawthorn because they are a true football team who play for each other. Sydney on the other hand try to buy premierships outright partly allowed by the afl. The hawks victory will be a great victory over afl giving sydney all sorts concessions. I want buddy to lose badly so that he regrets leaving the hawks.

Hoping for Swans even though the whole COLA situation has been a farce and gifted them the edge over the Hawks who have been remarkable this year.

Having a punt always makes me more interested. Will be backing the Swans by a healthy margin.

For the OP. Cast your mind back to the 2011 GF that was also a situation of the team that won it last year up against the team that won it the year before...

Just because we're s**t shouldn't take away from the spectacle of the two clear best teams of 2014 facing off in the GF!

I might even try to get tickets to it because it's going to be an absolute belter. Whereas a Sydney v Port GF would have been a lay down misere...
I remember being a little more excited around this time in 2011. No idea why...

Congrats for completely missing my point!
I was trying to have a little fun, but since we are taking it to serious town I will address your point.

In 2011, I was highly invested in the Grand Final because strangely enough, I am a Collingwood supporter and was fairly keen to see my team get up I would completely understand if opposition supporters didn't give a fat rat's about who won that day. I get the similarities of the two grand finals but I make no apologies for being more interested that day.

As for this Grand Final, I would be more enthused if any other teams were playing. Collingwood not playing in it has nothing to do with it which is why they were never mentioned in the OP. I like to support a particular team on Grand Final day which is usually the underdog or the team that hasn't won one recently. Unfortunately, I do not have a leaning towards either team and this is a rare occasion where I don't care who gets up.

I would have much preferred a Sydney vs Port final and I must admit, I was out of my seat cheering them on in the final minutes last night. I would rather watch a potential thrashing on the chance of a spectacular win, than two top teams who I don't give a s**t about.

Agree 100% with the OP. I don't hate Sydney but I don't want to see them win thanks to COLA and their ability to take all the good available players, and I do hate Hawthorn.

Tempted to throw a Grand Final BBQ at my house and watch ANYTHING else instead of this snorefest.

Buddy vs Roughy can not wait. Hope it is a high scoring shoot out and they both kick a bag.
Can't go for the Swans, due to COLA and all. So go Hawks.

I was trying to have a little fun, but since we are taking it to serious town I will address your point.

In 2011, I was highly invested in the Grand Final because strangely enough, I am a Collingwood supporter and was fairly keen to see my team get up I would completely understand if opposition supporters didn't give a fat rat's about who won that day. I get the similarities of the two grand finals but I make no apologies for being more interested that day.

As for this Grand Final, I would be more enthused if any other teams were playing. Collingwood not playing in it has nothing to do with it which is why they were never mentioned in the OP. I like to support a particular team on Grand Final day which is usually the underdog or the team that hasn't won one recently. Unfortunately, I do not have a leaning towards either team and this is a rare occasion where I don't care who gets up.

I would have much preferred a Sydney vs Port final and I must admit, I was out of my seat cheering them on in the final minutes last night. I would rather watch a potential thrashing on the chance of a spectacular win, than two top teams who I don't give a s**t about.

The written word is nigh on impossible to interpret tone so you only have yourself to blame for the trip to serious town when delivering a piss take with no emotive language.

As it is you had your say, I mine and its a pretty open and shut topic of conversation so you don't really need to justify anything to me :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2012 GF was in my eyes the greatest of the modern era. Huge momentum swings, come backs and a down to the wire finish.

I agree that the result either way will be hard to watch but as far as a GF match-up, there could be none better in 2014.

I might go for a walk up mount lofty then come home to some gardening and may even head to the sauna.

Can't wait, gonna be a cracker of a day.

Last edited:
I can't remember a time when I have been less excited about the Grand Final. Facing off, we have the team who won it last year
Vs the team who won it the year before. Hardly inspiring stuff.

But the fact that it's Hawthorn who I really can't stand, playing Sydney who I have grown to hate due to salary cap concessions, I just cannot get into this at all.

I hate watching a game where I desperately want both teams to lose. Anyone else enthused about this?
Come on Jasper, why so much hate in your life.

Pfft, I'm not supporting either teams in a win at all. I wanted Port Adelaide to take it down. So instead i'm gonna hope for a Draw and lots of injuries.

I just don't believe that. I think if Sydney had played Port last night. We would be looking at a Port Adelaide V Hawks for GF.
Sydney may have a good forward line, but i just don't rate them as high as everyone else. Hawks to win.

I said this yesterday on social media, I haven't been this uninterested since half time in 2007 when I actually turned the game off. Still haven't fully decided if I'll watch it at all

Doesnt help when there is a lot of unlikeable players in both teams.

Lake, Gibson, Mitchell, Goodes, Franklin , Tippett all irritate me

Hope the hawks get up purely to see Goodes cry

I came here to post this exact thing. Has anyone ever won a GF after a really hard-won, nailbiting prelim? Tipping Swans by 17 but with a clear gap between the two teams all day

Umm, remember last year?

Nah I can't watch it and I don't want to. Not only do I think it will be a boring GF but the thought of seeing one of those teams celebrating is too painful for me, I bloody hate them both.

Went to the Melbourne City family day and picked up my membership card and tomorrow I will have a few beers with some mates for the Brownlow, after that I am officially in soccer mode until the NAB Cup starts.

Umm, remember last year?
Oh yeah. And 2007. Maybe not then. It still feels true that being involved in a tight prelim does your chances no good and no facts you present will make me change my mind :p

I had to laugh at the early posters. I couldn't get one-eyed enough to actually say that Hawthorn don't deserve to make the grand final..... and I hate the hawks. Unfortunately, they have been very good in a number of areas for a number of years now. The fact that three of the star sydney players started at Hawthorn puts all those "critical" discussions about whether we should have got jesse white or quentin lynch into perspective. If hawthorn can win premierships and move players along if they are not seen as a good fit, then it demonstrates to me that it's not much good desperately trying to keep players that arent fitting in.... I'm thinking shaw, thomas and lumumba..... and decisions about individual players is nowhere near as important as having a club pull together as one.

I will probably end up backing sydney but I am interested to see what level of football these two sides can demonstrate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back