FTA-TV The Leftovers

ComicSansHumour

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched the first 3 eps back to back last night, digging it. Really weird in parts, or rather an undercurrent of weirdness/creepiness just below the surface, which I love. Liking the quick jump cuts back to traumatic events as a character is remembering and police chief Garvey's dreams too. Acting overall seems solid if not spectacular so far.

The chain-smoking cult is awesome, can't wait to see where they go with that. Was pretty sure Garvey had snapped and created himself a Tyler Durden in the dog shooting man, but that seems to not be the case after the daughter takes the beer from him and asks who was that. And then Garvey ends up finding his bagel in the toaster after all, seems like he's not crazy (yet) which is even more intriguing.

Don't worry about 'the explanation' not being satisfying enough - with Lindelof at the helm, there's a stone cold ironclad guarantee that we will never find out. I'd probably be even more into this show if I didn't know he was the showrunner. But as someone else mentioned the show isn't really going to be about the disappearance, it serves more as the back drop for story and character development, so I'm happy to give it a go.

re. Grabbing the beer, I reckon they left that pretty open. It's possible that she grabbed the beer from her father and it manifested in his mind as it being grabbed from the guy. And when she called out asking who that was it could have been a response to his yelling rather than to actually seeing the mysterious dog guy. Hopeing the dog guy is real though, he's a legit gangster and the sherriff best respecognise.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
re. Grabbing the beer, I reckon they left that pretty open. It's possible that she grabbed the beer from her father and it manifested in his mind as it being grabbed from the guy. And when she called out asking who that was it could have been a response to his yelling rather than to actually seeing the mysterious dog guy. Hopeing the dog guy is real though, he's a legit gangster and the sherriff best respecognise.

Just had another quick look and you're right, she could well just be responding to her dad yelling to someone and closing the front door. I was kinda also fooled on first viewing by dog man saying 'put these in the fridge for your dad'. That line still makes sense even if Garvey says it. Likewise Jill's response; 'are these for us?' First time I saw it I thought she was addressing dog man directly, but she could still just be talking to her dad.

But yeah I'm with you, hope he's real. More intriguing than just Garvey losing the plot.

Vincent Chase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2011
MadiZen Square Garden.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Jets
Agree with a lot of of the comments in here. It sure is intriguing with that creepy undertone.

For the most part i was a Lost fan and Lindeloff has done well post Lost with the Star Trek movies, World War Z etc. He's definitely brought elements of Lost to this show so it feels good to be having a lot these 'wtf' moments all over again.

I think they nailed the Justin Theroux casting. He's done a great job being the broken hero so far. The whole show basically rests on his shoulders imo. If they had cast the guy who plays Rick on TWD for example i think this show would absolutely stink.

His acting is why that story arc is my favorite. Found myself really wanting to get back to it every time they cut away. I thought the scene with his dad at the psych ward was brilliant.

The chain smokers in white are freaking weird units. The actress playing Laurie has done a good job so far considering she hasn't even said anything. Really interested in where they take this and what they do with Liv Tyler's character.

On the flip side, I'm not really digging the rebel daughter and friend (as hot as they are). Not that they're bad actors, it's just a played out cliche at this point. I think those twins are good value though and bring a bit of humor which is needed in a show as bleak as this.

The whole story arc out in Nevada is slightly more interesting, but it just feels so detached from whats going on in the town at the moment. I think when they draw these two together i will start buying into it a lot more.

Apparently episode 3 is more character specific, looking forward to it.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
best episode for the season IMO, i hope they do more episodes with just one character being focused on. a bit predictable like that he was going to get robbed in the parking lot. The little promo at the end for in the coming weeks looks amazing. It let us know the Father and feel for him, it sucks he lost the church but now it will move the story on at a faster pace with the "Mutes" now in the town.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
That was something else. Made me quite breathless at times, the same way Lost did to me at it's very best.

That gut punch at the end with the Remnants taking over the Church, * if I was the Rev I would have lost it. I don't know if the rest of the supporting cast is as good as Eccleston but I'm still all for the single focus episodes, or just more with the Rev.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watched the first ep last night, it's good to see they haven't taken the family safe approach unlike shows like Falling Skies. I'm not sure what to think of it just yet but it's got potential.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Great last episode. Christopher Eccleston is so convincing in this sort of role. The scene with the sister was so good. The way he almost deadpanned that line about her husband's activities over that sentimental moment was so well done. See the tv show The Shadow Line for more Eccleston brilliance.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
awesome episode! i guess for the first two episodes the storyline is a bit slow, to develop the story. hoping the rest of the season is at the same level as the newest episode.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's (a good type of) different that they haven't really tried to tackle WHY everything happened yet like most shows would, instead they're concentrating on how the characters cope.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Was just ok this week I thought. Bit heavy handed with the metaphors, especially wifey and the lighter. We get it, you've thrown away your family and even if you want that life back it's just out of reach.

Found the load of replica bodies on the road a bit weird. Like I know they are supposed to be replicas made by that 'Loved Ones' company but you'd think they could have gone to a bit more effort production-wise to make them look a bit 'plasticy' or something, they were clearly real people/actors.

Also have a hard time believing that even with alot of people at the dance that not a single home invasion by the GR would be noticed/challenged.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, I'm willing to forgive some of those "...really?" moments when you get moments that chill like when they start taking the photos out of the frames.

Old mate Chief's daughter is reaaaally starting to get on my nerves though. The twins are awesome.

The penis man bit was weird, that whole Sam side of the story is the weakest part of the series so far.

Vincent Chase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2011
MadiZen Square Garden.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Jets
This episode was disappointing to be honest, especially coming off the strong episode last week.

I said in an earlier post that the whole rebel daughter act is a played out cliche and just not that interesting. Please give her less screen time.

Yeah, I'm willing to forgive some of those "...really?" moments when you get moments that chill like when they start taking the photos out of the frames.

Old mate Chief's daughter is reaaaally starting to get on my nerves though. The twins are awesome.

The penis man bit was weird, that whole Sam side of the story is the weakest part of the series so far.

The Sam storyline will hopefully have some sort of payoff though. All the Jill stuff just screams filler.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Kevin is losing his mind, and getting drunk every night. i think he will be sleepwalking or something like that and doing s**t at night. The dog guy returns and we learn more about him. i think the Priest is one of the best characters in the show. But wow i didnt expect the open this week that was just dark.

Back