FTA-TV The Leftovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for the first time watching the show have I been just transported somewhere else, somewhere in Mapleton, completely and utterly compelled and absorbed about what's happening on the screen. It's different, but * if I didn't think it was near on brilliant.

That finale was just a perfect summation of everything that came before it. The GR, * the GR, Nora, Kevin, Matt, Laurie, apparition Patti.

I stopped caring about 'answers' a while ago, I don't need them. If I start looking for them, or if I start treating the show like a sci-fi than that's probably when I start to lose interest. Will probably never find out more about Wayne, but that's alright.

If they keep putting up television like this, I'm going to be all in.

i really doubt it, think they are banking on the unanswerable being the carrot they keep dangled

Still don't really know how I feel about this show. On the one hand its frustrating in the sense that its mostly just mystery and symbolism that will never be expored with precious little narrative to hang it on. On the other the show has some serious emotional hooks, there have been a few occasions this season where I'm glued to the screen like I rarely have before for a tv show, dem feels. Few of those moments tonight, most notably Jill in the GR house (that version of Nothing Else Matters, **** me) and the whole Mapleton riot/GR burning sequence, that was pretty amazing television.

Hoping there will be more actual story next season but guess I'll tune in regardless lol.

The 'wish' has left me frustrated - Gravey didnt know at that point his daughter had gone to join the GR so it wasn't for her, & given the ending, it wasn't for his ex to come back, maybe wished for a reason for Nora to stay, but he didnt know or have reason to think she was going did he? so what, he wished for a baby?? why the * would he do that but given the look on whatshisnames face before karking it, what else would it have been? wishing for a 'savior' mayhap...

I assumed he wished for his family back. Seems like Jill might be snapped out of her funk and Tom is back in town. With the GR burnt to the ground wifey might even come round, so it still might happen.

i thought he wanted to know what happened, every one found out and went mental, but i am probably completely wrong as i wasn't paying too much attention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wish is ambiguous. It could have been for his family back, maybe it was as simple as he just wanted to be happy again considering his conversation with the priest. He could have wished for his sanity too.

I wonder if one day everyone will come around to the fact that the show is called The Leftovers, not The Departure. Still can't believe people think they're "dangling a carrot" with it - they're not going to answer why it happened. The show is set 3 years after it happened.

Absolutely superb finale. So many ridiculously emotional moments.

It's not the best show I have watched this year but it is a bloody close second behind Fargo. Bob of the head stuff at the finishing post.

I wonder if one day everyone will come around to the fact that the show is called The Leftovers, not The Departure. Still can't believe people think they're "dangling a carrot" with it - they're not going to answer why it happened. The show is set 3 years after it happened.

Absolutely superb finale. So many ridiculously emotional moments.

Personally I have no problem with them not explaining the event, but its mildly frustrating seeing all the other little mysteries heap up when you just know that they won't be explored either;

- Wayne's powers
- Kevin's dad/voices
- The National Geographic mag

There are a heap of others and with Lindelof at the helm its pretty much guaranteed that there will be no pay off for any of that stuff. I still watch and mostly enjoy it, but it'd be nice if a show with mysterious-verging-on-supernatural elements didn't seem afraid to really delve into those elements while giving its character study, as opposed to focussing completely on the characters despite those elements - as was largely the case with Lost and will be the case with this. Bit of a cop-out IMO.

I still can't fully wrap my head around my thoughts on this show but at the very least I know it's brilliant, that finale was some of the best television I've seen all year.

Still don't really know how I feel about this show. On the one hand its frustrating in the sense that its mostly just mystery and symbolism that will never be expored with precious little narrative to hang it on. On the other the show has some serious emotional hooks, there have been a few occasions this season where I'm glued to the screen like I rarely have before for a tv show, dem feels. Few of those moments tonight, most notably Jill in the GR house (that version of Nothing Else Matters, **** me) and the whole Mapleton riot/GR burning sequence, that was pretty amazing television.

Hoping there will be more actual story next season but guess I'll tune in regardless lol.
Yep that pretty much sums up the way I feel. I also like the way the bizarre moments like the Chief and his father's hallucinations are handled. Despite the absence of any apparent answers it is gripping television.

Yeah, I'm in the indifferent group. No way can i go close to calling it brilliant, it's just to heavy handed.

Anyone else cringe at how overly happy the kids were before the 2% disappeared? No one is that happy at a science fair.

The whole guilty remnant still makes little sense. Do they actually think that people are moving on from it? All the characters seem to do is stew in their grief.

If Kevin has one more longing stare at an animal of any sort, i might just scream.

People in that neighborhood really need to upgrade their home security as well.

Also....why would a mixed race baby suddenly make Nora want to stop skipping town?

Overall though i thought the season was pretty decent without reaching any great heights. The angle i hope they go into more in season 2 is the government stuff. The cop really seemed to shut up quick when Kevin mentioned he was a cop himself.

Last edited:
Anyone else cringe at how overly happy the kids were before the 2% disappeared? No one is that happy at a science fair.

Yeah wasn't very subtle I guess, but Jill was 3 years younger, basically still a child and hadn't entered the standard teenage girl mega bitch phase. She obviously had a good relationaship with big bro who just got back into town, I could buy it.

The whole guilty remnant still makes little sense. Do they actually think that people are moving on from it? All the characters seem to do is stew in their grief.

Fair point, one of my mates mentioned this. If their whole deal is to 'make people remember' yeah its kinda a moot point, not sure anyone is really moving on. At least not well.

People in that neighborhood really need to upgrade their home security as well.

1000 times this! Was fairly unbelievable when they broke in the first time to get the photos, placing the loved ones dolls without any confrontation or problems was a step too far. Guess you could argue that perhaps they did run into trouble in some cases but it just happened off camera (when Kevin first arrives back into town the mother from the pilot is chasing/shooting at 2 GR members carrying a loved one doll, maybe they were confronted before they could place it?). But yeah, pretty silly.

Also....why would a mixed race baby suddenly make Nora want to stop skipping town?

Racist :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back