Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
I’m almost at the point to no longer acknowledging him as Schwarzer, I’m thinking Kalac 2.0. I mean, I’m looking at one of Australia’s greatest players, and bringing back memories of Ricardo, one of Portugal’s great keepers, again tanking for us.

Tell me about it. I’m glad I didn’t watch the match live, because after seeing Sociedad v Sevilla, where Sevilla took the lead, and then an own goal tied up the match. I would’ve been like ‘Don’t you fookin’ dare’ if I wasn’t just sweating bullets, thinking Everton were going to get that winning goal. I didn’t need another game like that.

I’m happy that we got one, but like so many times before, this really should’ve been a three pointer, relegation spot or not. We’re still 4 behind, so we gained on 17th. Should’ve been 2 points, but we’ll make amends for that soon enough.

Burnley v Swansea
Newcastle v Villa
(QPR play Arsenal at home the same time as us.)
Would we include Sunderland and Hull? Currently 7 and 8 points ahead of us.

From what I have seen and gathered at lunch, we only looked good once we replaced both wingers with strikers (Wow, what happened to Mahrez and Schlupp? That was disappointing). Nugent got the goal, and Vardy provided two sweet assists! Cambiasso was class too. Too bad he got knackered. Wish we got to see more of King, because I believe King/James would actually go rather well.

This was a stark contrast to Villa, the subs were great, changed the game when we needed to, they looked lively (as you can expect from Nugent and Vardy).

Upson looked really sluggish, easily our weakest. Morgan improved at least. Huth was a beast. If we had Huth from Game 1, we would not be 20th, that’s for sure. Wasyl has to come in, either for Morgan and Upson, for Man City. Goody, another mid-week game… that means I get to see half that game before I leave for work.

Everton did have a lot of the ball. It was only a matter of time before they did get a goal. Should’ve been more from their side, but geez, they weren't exactly flash.

We should really discard this negative defensive mindset. It’s getting us nowhere. We did alright against City, but we didn’t really have a good finishing option last time. I think Kramaric could actually step up for this game… provided he gets good support from the midfield. They are coming of a 5-0 win over Newcastle. That, and they play the Red Scousers before this match.

Also... I have an update for the Chelsea game. April 30, 4:45am. This match is wedged between Burnley and Newcastle for us, and Arsenal and Crystal Palace for Chelsea. We have 4 games left after the Chelsea game. Ideally, the win against Burnley catapults us ahead of them before we play Chelsea.

(On another note, I see you're warming up for footy season... though, Bradley Walsh? Rookie you're keeping an eye on? I kept my eye on Tom Langdon last year, got his badge (The only badge they were selling at the Geelong game), and boy was I pleased.)

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Couldn't agree more about getting rid of the defensive mindset. We sat so deep in the end of that half that it was only a matter of time really. Only Leicester could score an own goal header to cost us the win.

Add the two dropped points this morning to the two dropped points against Burnley at the start of the season and all of a sudden we're on 22 points. Incredibly frustrating! I feel like the lads will get some confidence out of this nonetheless.

Vardy and Nugent were good when they came on. Unfortunately, they'll go back to being rubbish next game.

The Chelsea game isn't great timing. We have 2 weeks before City now though so that can't hurt!

Yeah getting excited for footy season again! Although I have no idea why, it's going to be a long year for us. I'm impressed you picked up that it was Walsh! Know much about him? I have high hopes for the kid. Definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
The worst part is? That's not the first time this season... Morgan... twice! (Why the heck can't you do that for our corners?!)

Yep, and those 4 points minus those two goals actually means we sit 17th. All these foolish errors is the difference between safety and getting relegated. Hopefully they will still have their heads up, they'll need to maintain it against Man City.

Nugent's usually good as a link-up player. Honestly, we look better with him in the team than without. Vardy's been more hit and miss. The match does show what he is capable of, he also helped Nugent with his goal against Liverpool. I might give him another shot against Man City, because I don't think 5-4-1 is the right way to go against them. A total of 7 assists against United, Liverpool, and Everton? Hey, at least when he turns it on, it's against the good teams. Lloyd Dyer burned Man City, hopefully Vardy can do the same.

No. They could've easily done it the same time as the rearranged QPR game (7th March,) but nope, late in the season it is. Hopefully by then, we will have gotten the points we need. Either that, or they're too busy imploding, we could take it to them. Hey, if Burnley can, and Sunderland from last year can, why not?

I feel ya. It feels longer this time around due to the Championship winning/early Premier League energy and the fact we just went out with a whimper last season. Hopefully by long, you don't mean September long, lol. Mind you, we'll need to do some serious work to get back in the 8 this season. I had seen him before, as the only Peel player to make it last season. The most I know about him is that he played the final 4 games of the WAFL... and he was alright.

A bit harder here, considering all our rookies have some distinction about them. I guess it will be 'Tyres' Goodyear for mine, though I'd really like it if Darcy Moore and Mason Cox were to rock it.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Fair enough, I thought he would give a fair go, but to think both Mahrez and Schlupp (who wasn't even a winger at the start of this season.)

It also looks like he as rejected the move, he's staying here. Either he thinks he's getting game time, or he doesn't want to move away. I mean, we could recall him whenever we want, plus he's getting got experience playing for Ipswich.

Yep, 2-1 win over the Brum. I heard Choudary and Ndekwu killed it. I'll see if I can find any highlights. They will play either Crewe... or Man City, over a two legged semi final around the 5th of March. Poor crowd though, really should be more to see these boys play. 11,000 came to see the Toon boys play Chelsea.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Highlights of the U21 FA Cup win:

Tell you what, some good chances there. Pity the goalkeeping error was the winner, but meh, you get them any way you can. That was bad man marking from Choudary for their goal. Just ball watching there, letting his man go. Also, what the heck was that celebration from him after the winner? Weird. Also, that was a very fine line on that Elliot Moore tackle. Looked late, bad positioning... could've been worse? I'll give you the call on that one.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but the fact that he finds himself 5th in line did mean it was going to happen. Like you, I would've rather dropped Wes and build for the future in Liam, because heck, he wouldn't do any worse. It's not like Pearson has dropped his captain before... oh wait...

Liam has some history with Brentford when they were in League One, and he joins them again as the team are fighting for promotion. That Brentford team look very respectable, and to be honest, if you had to send the kid on loan, a high-end Championship is just the ticket. The Bee Fans are very pleased by this development, he was very good for them in his 7 games for them.

Unlike Knockhaet, I think he's chosen wisely, game time is important for some of his age, especially for a quality unit. The only question is, if the worse case scenario happens (Brentford promoted, Leicester relegated) I wonder who he would chose?

Also, minor note: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31606454
Do you detect anything deeper from those words? I can't say I would be surprised, but let's face it, he's got some serious talent, and many clubs will want him.

Oh, Chris Wood's gone to Ipswich: Big Mick's team is up there, so keeping up there at the high Championship will be beneficial and could probably see him be more competitive if he comes back?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Good news! We are compliant with FFP rules!

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/le...sults-201314-2309976.aspx#rpzBwlPzQesXHBE5.99

Yes, despite the fact we lost 20 million pounds, the fact that 13 million of those pounds were 'allowable' (Acemedy expenses, promotion costs being examples) means we meet the FFP guidelines. It's also a lot better than the 34 million pound loss from last season.

On another note, and another thread... ahem: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...rangers-bring-losses-down-to-9m-10080190.html I can smell the BS from here.

Youth news, our U21s won 3-1 over Fulham's U21s. Highlights here:

Go to 3:30 to see some extraordinary speed from Chilwell as he wins the penalty. Guess who took the penalty? Knocky! He played in that game, and created a few chances.

In today's results, Aston Villa nabbed a point against West Brom (Could that match just be abandoned, Villa shouldn't be getting any points, and I really hope by some miracle, West Brom goes down. Because nuts to Pullis.)

Hull and Sunderland took a point home, and Palace are pointless to Southampton's late goal.

If we can track a point against Man City, and win against Hull, suddenly a lot of teams will get quite worried with 20th placed Leicester not too far away. That's the other benefit of playing those around of us, winning those games not only takes us three points closer, but we strike a nasty blow to their hopes. They might want to take a look back.

Of course, first things first, we'll need to put everything we have to get a point against Man City. Pearson has noted Kasper will be right in a 'week or so,' one suspects he'll be in goals for Hull.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Villa took all 3. I really don't see us staying up from here.

Wait, what?

Benteke penalty in extra time?! Oh come on! Damn Pullis, Damn Sherwood, of course they had to get a result that screws us the most.

So, 7 points down as things stand. If we can get a draw against Man City, it will be two games. The most important thing is Villa's GD really sucks, so tying on points means we will go above them.

The good news is they have some really difficult fixtures left. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...xtures-for-2014-15-Premier-League-season.html

We also have to start considering Sunderland and Hull to those plans (GD will be a problem), which makes that Hull game really critical next week. No ifs and buts, a win is a must.

I know it looks bad now, but I will reserve judgement until the Hull game.

What I really want to see against City:

-----------------Hamer
---------Wasyl Huth Upson(Better then Morgan)
De Laet -----------------------Schlupp
-----------James Cambiasso
Albrighton --------------------Mahrez
---------------Kramaric

Injections of Nugent, Vardy(Maybe Ulloa), and a third sub based on the situation will be the way to go. No namby-pamby ultra defensive crap. That Man City defence is looking rather shoddy. Let's take advantage of it. Pellegrinni is under the pump. More contenders for 2nd are arriving.

We are fighting for our Premier League lives, so let's take it out on Man City (Apparently we have won away there the last three times, and kept a clean sheet on those occasions, let's hope it holds true) who are getting tired, the pack is chasing them, the pressure is on. If there was a time to kill a giant, now would be a very good time to do so. It's also more important that we back it up with a Hull win.

You know, a draw will do nicely, but I'm pumping for a win, because why the hell not?

Of course, we're not going to see that... but it would be nice if the boys can use that Villa win over West Brom as motivation to go all out and get something.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Whats that "la la la la la la la la thank you thank you" (or something that sounds like that) all about?

Please stop, it was very annoying.

I think I know the one you mean.

'La la la la la, Leciester's staying up, Leicester's staying uuuuuuup.'

The variation of that was 'Leicester's going up,' obviously during the promotion season. This chant usually goes up when we're losing or drawing (I remember it against the hangover loss to Brighton 4-1). In this case, I think the fans are suggesting even if we lose to you, we'll still stay up.

Be glad we're not doing the Ponzan anymore. I wish we had some better chants. The 'His name is Leonardo' is a good chant in my opinion, but it sometimes gets used a little too often. We need more quality.

But I'm with Jatz, some of our fans swing more than a banana bender up north. A very fickle bunch. A good showing against a top team and suddenly Pearson's the messiah, move over Martin O'Neill, everyone's awesome, and we're going to be Champions League next season. A poor loss, like the one against Villa, and Pearson should be out, replace him with Martin O'Neill, everyone's Championship garbage, we're going to be Conference in 4 years time.

On another note, if not for Huth and Schwarzer, you should've done us by more. You guys were passing it around very well, and had the game under control. You were definately the better side, without question. The team looked very average. Penalty calls aside (not one since Man Utd?!) I think we went into this with the wrong idea. 5-4-1 has conceded two goals about every single time we've used it. We'll need to revise against Hull, and how.

But congrats on the win. See if you can make amends and push Chelsea. They didn't look all too hot yesterday. Hopefully we're in for a close one for the title.

That said, I hope our U18s put away your U18s in the FA Youth Cup, probably the only thing left to look forward to this season.

Last edited:
Your U21's gave ours a touch up earlier in the year so I think most of us are a bit worried. You seem to have a good setup there.

The first leg is on Wednesday night at our place. Doesn't seem to be on the TV which is very annoying. I'm going anyway, but I'm guessing the second leg won't be on the tellie either.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Your U21's gave ours a touch up earlier in the year so I think most of us are a bit worried. You seem to have a good setup there.

The first leg is on Wednesday night at our place. Doesn't seem to be on the TV which is very annoying. I'm going anyway, but I'm guessing the second leg won't be on the tellie either.

Blooming heck, 11th of March for the first leg, the 8th of April for the 2nd?! Long time between drinks, and that’s not getting into the two legged final as well. (I guess I can see why, but I think it would be pretty sweet for the young guys to play at Wemberley.)

I know what you mean, the only match I was able to see live was the Southampton game, and they were nice enough to leave the full match on review. With a youth academy like Southampton, I certainly don’t blame them in showing off. I was hoping that you guys would offer full match highlights, but alas, none to be seen.

Well, since you’re going on Wednesday (and good on you, I hope for some good crowds there and at the King Power) I’ll give you a few names to note from our side since they will be the ones that will be causing trouble for you.

The most obvious one is Hamza Choudhury. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/15/1413404933928_Image_galleryImage_.JPG He’ll be the one running the midfield, egging his teammates on. You can’t miss him, just look for the largo afro. He has certainly got talent, though I’m not fully convinced about his defending capabilities. He’s got those moments of brilliance that make you think he’s going to be world class one day.

There’s his mate Layton Ndukwu in the midfield http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Layton+Ndukwu+Victory+Shield+England+U16+v+cIFbrkfum5Ql.jpg He’s a young one at 16, but already is technically sound, and he knows how to beat his man and create opportunities. He’s not as stylish as Choudhury, but he strikes me as the ‘quiet achiever.’ A respectable kind of special that seems more ‘down to earth’ in his play.

I think I’m going to look past Kipre for my third pick (and trust me, Kipre was awesome against Brum) I think I’ll give it to Ben Chilwell. http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/459287614-leicesters-ben-chilwell-during-the-premier-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQztZfRteFqo2TtB0fTU03AteJwVgo9YIG7ZANfLBBiGQj+rkqBtXogvAEQG3blVLg== One of the older boys in the team. Guy’s got pace, and can really make those good runs from the wing. He has been getting better the more time he has spent in the U21s. Not quite there, but he’s got the tools for the job.

There's a few other names, but I think the three I listed will be quite noticeable for the big game. There's a lot to like with our acemedy players, I can certainly see some of these names potentially becoming first teamers in the future. Then again, there quite a leap between youth football and the real deal. Hopefully they'll be able to shine on through. As you said, we do have a good setup, and we've done a decent job in strengthening it (though I wish we did more strengthening to the first team.)

It's certainly looking up to be a good night, I hope you enjoy yourself over there, and hopefully it will be a close and well contested game.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Cheers, would be well appreciated.

Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd we won 1-0, thanks to a 3rd minute goal from Harry Panayitou. He always knows where the goals are. Report is here: http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/u21s-report-chelsea-0-leicester-city-1-2319448.aspx

Here's what I could find, which contains the goal (and 15 mins of play) They did have a live stream on Chelsea TV, but no full match highlights:

Good hussle from Harry to win the ball (I just love the 'Keep goin' Harry' from one of his team mates) Pretty good shot to beat the keeper from his angle. Pretty pleased with not only the effort to win the ball in the Chelsea half, but to score a goal like that and get the win over the Chelsea U21s? Brill!

Hopefully the link is still up in time for viewing.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Liam Moore on loan to Brentford until the end of the season. Why couldn't we have sent Wes dammit?

Some discouraging news so far. Liam hasn't exactly been performing well for the Bees, he's made a few mistakes and seems a little over the place. In fact, he was actually subbed off in the Ipswich game. Bees fans noticed some improvement once Liam left the field. There have been reports that he has gone 'GTF,' looking a little unfit our lad is.

I think it is fair to say that the lack of game time has affected him. We can only hope that performances improve from him. Hasn't made the impact that he would've wanted.

As you are already aware, the next game on the Leicester schedule is the Youth FA cup 1st leg Thursday morning our time. I'm going to see if the Man City site offers a live stream. Chelsea did for the U21 game, though highlights were tricky. We'll see what they say in a few games time. Oh, if you haven't seen it earlier, I've got the first 15 mins against the Chelsea U21s, including the goal from Harry. Check my above post for that.

One other note, I'm still very disappointed by that loss to Villa in the FA cup. Now that Arsenal got through over United, I feel it would've been an excellent chance to fill that hole in the trophy cabinet. Ah well... full focus on the season ahead. It begins at Hull. Must win. No excuses.

Sorry guys, your lads didnt have a great one. Finished 3-0 to us, but I don't think either side played that well.

Choudhury I thought got around the pitch a lot and was tidy enough when he had the ball, but really didnt have enough of it to have any real impact. Second half he was more involved but didnt impress me much. Lost the plot a bit at one stage and chased down one of our players to wrestle him (didnt see what upset him), would have been off in a senior game.

Chilwell at LB and Ndukwu at LM were solid enough, they kept our right side pretty quiet and Ndukwu showed a bit going forward on a few occasions.

All of our good stuff came down our left. Kipre played at RCB and did alright but we still played through his area a bit.

Your goalie (Smith-Varnam) had a shocker of a first half. Couple of fumbles and should have saved our second fairly easily. Was better in the second.

He didnt really have a lot of the ball on the night but your number 9 (Keenan King) impressed me with the pressure he put on our defenders. Good pace, decent strength. Bit on the small side and didnt really see how his skills/technical ability were.

Anyway, not much to report I'm afraid. Over to yours in April (hopefully on the tv).

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Sorry guys, your lads didnt have a great one. Finished 3-0 to us, but I don't think either side played that well.

Choudhury I thought got around the pitch a lot and was tidy enough when he had the ball, but really didnt have enough of it to have any real impact. Second half he was more involved but didnt impress me much. Lost the plot a bit at one stage and chased down one of our players to wrestle him (didnt see what upset him), would have been off in a senior game.

Chilwell at LB and Ndukwu at LM were solid enough, they kept our right side pretty quiet and Ndukwu showed a bit going forward on a few occasions.

All of our good stuff came down our left. Kipre played at RCB and did alright but we still played through his area a bit.

Your goalie (Smith-Varnam) had a shocker of a first half. Couple of fumbles and should have saved our second fairly easily. Was better in the second.

He didnt really have a lot of the ball on the night but your number 9 (Keenan King) impressed me with the pressure he put on our defenders. Good pace, decent strength. Bit on the small side and didnt really see how his skills/technical ability were.

Anyway, not much to report I'm afraid. Over to yours in April (hopefully on the tv).

That is disappointing. I know we were 2-0 down, but to concede a third? That's really put us on the back foot for the 2nd leg. I'll have to see the goals myself when the highlights arrive.

Sounds about right from Choudhury. Is tidy, although he gets a bit stroppy since he is an emotional sort of lad. Disappointing to hear he didn't get as much of an impact when the team needed to life. Good to hear that our left side was good. I did hear reports that you were exposing our right side, so I'm not surprised Chilwell and Ndukwu kept it tidy.

I'm also not too surprised that you were impressed with Keenan King, although more in the defensive pressure mould as opposed to scoring. Fair to say he's taken something from Nugent and Vardy with his hassling. I think he's got alright technique, scores some good goals, but as you said, he is a bit of a titch, so that part of the game is going to be important. I heard Brenden Fox did alright in that game.

But thanks anyway for your reports. It's great to have someone over there giving a first hand account on the match, even if it is from an opposition fan. Definitely on the ball highlighting our players there. Thanks very much for that. I hope you enjoy the win, and that brace from Aaron Nemane. I am also hopeful that there will be some live coverage of the April game to get ahold of.

Out of curiosity, how was the crowd over there? Was it a good atmosphere? I think you said you had pics, don't suppose you can share somehow?

Here's the report from the club: http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/fa-youth-cup-report-manchester-city-3-leicester-city-0-2328887.aspx

Last edited:
Back