chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Thought I'd start a thread on the rise of Leicester and the greater picture surrounding their title race.

For years people have said "the big 4 are the only ones who can ever the title", however the Foxes have challenged this sentiment. Several questions must be asked:

How and why have they been able to challenge for a premiership?
Can they sustain their success over the coming years?
How can smaller clubs and mid-table clubs emulate what the Foxes have done?

Surely Man City broke the sentiment of the big four - Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, United - but that aside, the sentiment of the title going to the team that spent the most has certainly been shattered if they go on to win it. It creates a blue print for all promoted clubs - and Swansea and Stoke did this to a lesser extent - that instead of showing respect to the opposition if they happen to be 'big' clubs, instead, you get in their faces and you don't let them dictate the game. You play the game you want to play it, you play attacking, direct football if needed, and you don't let them push you around.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
they've taken advantage of a massive malaise among the top clubs. chelsea are nowhere, united struggling, city, arsenal incredibly inconsistent. they have an incredibly simple yet brutally effective style of play where they're very fit and disciplined in front of their own box. instead of the usual hard to break down for 60 mins and then tire and be picked off, they retain their shape for 90 mins and end up wearing down opposition sides mentally.

can they sustain it? probably not. playing champions league for them will be brutal, but they will have a lot of money if they choose to reinvest it.

i don't think other clubs really can. what leicester are doing is absolutely unseen in sporting competition over the course of a season. it's just plainly absurd.

It has been done before when Blackburn won the title.

Vardy is having a Shearer like season for the ages. And Mahrez should win player of the year.

Blackburn bought the title.

Shearer was not a one-season wonder.

they've taken advantage of a massive malaise among the top clubs. chelsea are nowhere, united struggling, city, arsenal incredibly inconsistent. they have an incredibly simple yet brutally effective style of play where they're very fit and disciplined in front of their own box. instead of the usual hard to break down for 60 mins and then tire and be picked off, they retain their shape for 90 mins and end up wearing down opposition sides mentally.

can they sustain it? probably not. playing champions league for them will be brutal, but they will have a lot of money if they choose to reinvest it.

i don't think other clubs really can. what leicester are doing is absolutely unseen in sporting competition over the course of a season. it's just plainly absurd.

To be honest I think it's a bit of a cop out to use the 'they've taken advantage of the top clubs stumbling' which I've seen a few people use. A team like Spurs or Everton, if they won it, I would understand explaining it in that way, but Leicester are a team that have genuinely come from absolutely no where. Yes if any of those bigger clubs were firing these other teams would have no chance, but there's definitely an added element of the blessed run they've had with injuries, the outstanding form of a few key players, and the brilliant tactical set up Ranieri has come up with.

1. Because there is no elite team in England currently.
2. No i dont think so because their players will be paid a lot more elsewhere.
3. Get lucky with transfers, injuries and have all their players peak at the same time.

It's amusing how many people come up with this and repeat it ad naseum without a skerik of understanding of that club's owners.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
To be honest I think it's a bit of a cop out to use the 'they've taken advantage of the top clubs stumbling' which I've seen a few people use. A team like Spurs or Everton, if they won it, I would understand explaining it in that way, but Leicester are a team that have genuinely come from absolutely no where. Yes if any of those bigger clubs were firing these other teams would have no chance, but there's definitely an added element of the blessed run they've had with injuries, the outstanding form of a few key players, and the brilliant tactical set up Ranieri has come up with.

but they have taken advantage of it. there are various other factors as well, but having all the top teams struggling in one season has definitely helped them.

but they have taken advantage of it. there are various other factors as well, but having all the top teams struggling in one season has definitely helped them.

For sure, I just think a lot of other things have gone right as well.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
For sure, I just think a lot of other things have gone right as well.
absolutely. they've kept mahrez, kante and vardy (mostly) fit for the entire season. a much less congested fixture, etc etc. but they've taken advantage of it, which is a skill in itself. most other teams don't, but whatever happened clicked from day one and has just continued on.

i will be interested to see how they do deal with the favourites tag

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
If they do win the league, I'll be more interested to see how things go next season. Being the champions, having CL football etc. Would it be a one out of the box type situation or will it continue?

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
They've been lucky in that the teams around them have had big injuries to key forwards. The game against Liverpool was played just outside leicester's 18 yard box where someone like sturridge would've taken some of those chances. Having said that they are solid across all lines, are very disciplined for the entire game and have 2 wonderful players up front that score some incredible goals.

PendlePie

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
Almost all of Leicester's midfielders and forwards are capable of receiving the ball and driving forward with it at pace. No real slouches in there, and absolutely no lack of confidence.

Really impressive watching their performance this morning.

They play without fear, it's why they haven't dropped off. Everyone has expected them to fall by now and they still haven't. Some people still think they will, biggest test will be the mental challenge of knowing they have one hand on the trophy

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
How and why have they been able to challenge for a premiership?

It all started on a typically steamy June day in Bangkok.

Nigel Pearson and his Leicester side were enjoying a successful pre-season tour of Thailand, and the players had earnt a bit of time for some R&R..

People only perceive the top clubs as 'struggling' because Leicester are doing them in. City and Arsenal both still have strong points totals despite being in 3rd and 4th. Its only Chelsea that are really struggling, United having a bit of a down year but an expected one, and Liverpool not challenging for a top 4 spot as they used to do.

They've been lucky in that the teams around them have had big injuries to key forwards. The game against Liverpool was played just outside leicester's 18 yard box where someone like sturridge would've taken some of those chances. Having said that they are solid across all lines, are very disciplined for the entire game and have 2 wonderful players up front that score some incredible goals.
Every game they play is outside their 18 yard box. They did us with an in form Kane, Sturridge wouldn't have made much difference. Its why they're so good, because they don't lose their composure when the ball is in their defensive third.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Leicester obviously have developed a terrific culture, been coached well and made astute signings as mentioned in this thread.

I also think The introduction of FFP has been good because the break even rules have helped to put the clamps on transfer spending and wages of certain clubs who have Sugar Daddy owners. This has helped bring them back to the pack, because in the past they could continue to spend throughout January and those without the funds couldn't keep up and they would pull away. Higher TV money has also helped in that it has allowed some of the lower teams to resist bids from the bigger clubs for their players as well as given them the funds to buy players that they weren't able to afford in the past.

Back