The Longest Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was kidding, I should have added an ;) it seemed to be leading that way. Great story BTW I was hooked :)
Heh, I'm a bit on the slow side at the minute. :)

I've got a few other stories from around that time, but not too sure about letting em rip on here.

*taps nose

Heh, I'm a bit on the slow side at the minute. :)

I've got a few other stories from around that time, but not too sure about letting em rip on here.

*taps nose
Aw, come on....

I've run into a few snakes over the years, having grown up on a farm. The best story I can relate however is one involving my older brother which goes back about 50 years. He had the job of harrowing a paddock we were getting ready to sow down. He did one lap of the paddock, spotted a snake, got off the tractor and sent it to god, got back on the tractor, did another lap and then about the same spot he encountered another snake. Got off the tractor, sent the second one to god, got back on the tractor and completed another lap and lo and behold a third snake.

He got off the tractor, unhooked the harrows and drove home, vowing that he had had enough for one day.

I've lived in a small town in rural Tasmania my entire life and have only ever seen one snake in the wild. Pretty strange.

I've lived in a small town in rural Tasmania my entire life and have only ever seen one snake in the wild. Pretty strange.

Jesus, as someone in very similar circumstances (almost my entire life and semi-rural/large town in Tas), I have seen heaps. I wonder how many snakes in the wild have seen you? :p

Jesus, as someone in very similar circumstances (almost my entire life and semi-rural/large town in Tas), I have seen heaps. I wonder how many snakes in the wild have seen you? :p
More than a few. ;)

Everyone else I know has seen at least a couple but, for whatever reason, they seem to escape my eye. :p

Having a game of golf at Barnbougle in a couple of weeks (prime snake time in Tas) a mate ran over a small one there with a golf buggy on a previous trip.

Remember snakes climb into bushes too , if there are any bushes , shrubs,, and you rball goes in or under :(
Yep, if you venture into the deep rough its mainly Boobyalla and Marram grass, prime snake hangouts. Golf balls can gently roll into the Marram only a metre or two and you are extremely lucky to find them, imagine how well they hide the "Joe Blakes".

A few weeks ago me and my mate were going for a bush trek down to a local waterfall which is rumoured to be snake haven. Anyway we got down to the bottom, him about 5 metres in front of me around the other side of a tree. All of a sudden I hear a loud scream "Oh S***, BROWN SNAKE"

Obviously just an automatic reaction without actually knowing what I was doing I just ran the hell away and scaled up a rocky ledge. Apparently it was the funniest thing he had seen in a long time. Funny thing is I never actually saw the snake so I still don't know whether it was just a joke or if he was serious.

Barnbougle trip done and dusted, two of our group saw the tails of snakes (or maybe lizards, apparently) but nothing serious, had a great two days and one night, broke 100 both days for 18 (Lost Farm has 20 holes). which is pretty good for me these days.

ShinbonerBaz Played golf lately ? Did you watch the Masters? ( Just to keep the longest thread going ) :)
Played last Sunday morning (45 for 9 holes), as daylight savings has ended the weekly Tuesday night round has finished. Due to some of my mates work commitments we will probably play fortnightly, early on Sundays. I would describe our group as social golfers, none of us play competetivley, but we aren't complete mugs either, we hang crap on each other and have fun, but we don't go over the top.

Watched some of the Masters, mostly on too early in the morning for me, as much as I love playing the game I don't find watching on TV very exciting anyway.

What about you coffeelover , been out dodging those crows lately?

lol My husband has :) I gave it up after being hit on the head ( not sure if I mentioned that before).
No, you never mentioned that. Care to elaborate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh ok :) Was 5 years ago. My partners and I going down a fairway, got level with, then just passed a tee on the opposite fairway, who was going the other way . :( Strong lady golfer. Supposed to go straight down her f'way. Pulled sharply to the left . Hit my temple full on . :( No brain damage , but was bedridden for a few weeks , only able to totter around with help for a long time for months after Left with severe concussion dizziness . OK now JUSt not game to go on a course where there are other players . It should not have happened But it does
Wow:eek: , I've seen a couple of close misses and many years ago my mate was standing in a stupid spot when someone hit from a fairway and he just had time to turn away and got smacked on the hip/backside, had a great bruise for a couple of weeks :)

Yeah, concussion/head injuries is a big talking point in a few sports these days...

Like the new avatar btw, fits the username :thumbsu:

I saw that on the news:eek::( And he then kept on playing lol so not allergic to the things
During a round this year, one of my mates got bitten by a Jack Jumper ant, when he pulled his trousers leg up there we 15 of the little buggers, he was very lucky to be only bitten once. I know two people who carry an EpiPen because they are allergic and will die if bitten and no antidote is given. More often you will see Inchmen ants which are bigger (about an inch) and give a very painful bite, but apparently they aren't as venomous.

Last edited:
wow :( Well there ya go . I thought I had heard of all our dangerous horrors Never heard of these before Thanks Glad your mate was ok
He was ok, if you're not allergic it's just a painful bite, he is the only one of us who wears long trousers all year round and being the kind chaps we are, there were calls for him to drop his daks. We were all a bit shocked when there were 15 of them though, he was bitten on the green but had picked them up in the bush about 150 metres back, serves him right for not keeping his ball on the fairway :p

I sat on a seat in W A , in the shade without looking . Soon felt things lol The whole seat, and me were covered in the little bitey black ants . I didn't have to strip but it was close :eek: 15 :( couldn't have felt them crawling ,,,, I guess annoyed with himself for being off the f'way:)
I've been bitten by Inchmen in the past (not playing golf) and you don't feel them crawling, they seem to have this amazing talent to find there way up trouser legs (I was bitten halfway up the inside thigh).

This one?

Ha, old enough to have seen it on TV. ;)

What about the similar scene in the excellent movie of the Steven King story - Stand By Me?

My gosh :eek::eek::eek: HAve read/ seen a few S King Not that one though Must look for it . HA! re "African Queen" saw the original in the theatre :rolleyes:
Stand By Me is a fantastic move. A classic "coming of age" movie, it was the film that set River Phoenix on a path to stardum before his untimely death a few years later. Made in 1986, still worth a look.

ok Will look for this . HAve you seen S K 's " The Mist"? the ending .............
No, have read the short story though (don't really remember the ending :oops:). I used to absorb everything SK a few years back, but I rarely bother these days, not as big a reader nor movie watcher as I used to be.

No, have read the short story though (don't really remember the ending :oops:). I used to absorb everything SK a few years back, but I rarely bother these days, not as big a reader nor movie watcher as I used to be.
didn't know it was a short story until a few weeks ago . Shock ending .... Have read a few of his.... Bought The Dome( Or it may be Under the dome ) the other day, then saw it was on dvd . Could work well for the dvd movie type thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back