The Manager Merry-go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laudrup or Big Sam would be great gets for Leicester IMO.

I saw on the Leicester facebook page a lot of the reactions seem to be shock/puzzlement - guessing it really came out of nowhere?

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Carlos Carvalhal takes over at Wednesday.

Bilic told top 8 or he's gone. Ouch.
Not right, it's he won't get any bonuses for the season if we don't finish top 8, and if we get relegated won't cost anything to pay him out.

I'm expecting us to finish around 10th or so because we'll be playing in the Europa League.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Neil Lennon is one I could see potentially, former Leiceister player.

Fat Sam said he was taking 6 months off. He'd want full control of transfers etc., and I'm not sure the Leicester Hierachy would want that.

Wonder if Martin O'Neill would come back as well. Would probably stay with the Ireland job though I think.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Either way, Pearson jr had to go for it.

I don't think it's a debacle. If we can get a quality manager in we'll be fine.

If we get Sean Dyche in, I might just quit football for a while.

Too right he did, still very foolish to get involved. I'm just wondering that if Pearson did disagree, what was it about? I almost suspect it was the way it was handled rather than the outcome. I also heard something about season expectations. The owners want something unrealistic, Pearson something more grounded. Therefore he paid the price?

That's the very important thing, because as things stand, it's not exactly pretty. Say what you like about no individual being bigger than the club, but Pearson has probably been the club since he arrived when we were in League 1. The players did everything for him, Vardy owes his career to Pearson, Schmeichel, Schlupp, and Huth have said Pearson's running of the club is the reason they have chosen to stay on and not even look sideways. The scouting knowledge and sports science stuff, they are the same men that followed Pearson where ever he went. Guess what was the name the players suggested after we sacked Sven. Pearson has been Leicester for the better part of a decade, and considering his record in comparison to his peers, it's no surprise. The sacking is all the more worse considering everyone (players, staff, fans) but the owners are for Pearson. Yes, there were legitimate grounds for sacking him in February, but now of all times? Any positive feeling we had going into the pre-season has been smashed to smithereens.

Only a quality manager, one of respectable standing, still in his prime somewhat (As much as it pains me, no O'Neill or Hiddink (Not that I thought they would have any interest) would do it.) would be the only ones to turn things around.

I would like to believe that if they chose to sack him now, they have an extremely good replacement at the ready, because as noted above, there is no positive in this decision. Dyche... I would take a bit of time out myself. I heard Klopp being mentioned... Dortmund were 13th when Klopp took over, weirder things have happened, lol. (Not going to happen, I know. But still...)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Too right he did, still very foolish to get involved. I'm just wondering that if Pearson did disagree, what was it about? I almost suspect it was the way it was handled rather than the outcome. I also heard something about season expectations. The owners want something unrealistic, Pearson something more grounded. Therefore he paid the price?

That's the very important thing, because as things stand, it's not exactly pretty. Say what you like about no individual being bigger than the club, but Pearson has probably been the club since he arrived when we were in League 1. The players did everything for him, Vardy owes his career to Pearson, Schmeichel, Schlupp, and Huth have said Pearson's running of the club is the reason they have chosen to stay on and not even look sideways. The scouting knowledge and sports science stuff, they are the same men that followed Pearson where ever he went. Guess what was the name the players suggested after we sacked Sven. Pearson has been Leicester for the better part of a decade, and considering his record in comparison to his peers, it's no surprise. The sacking is all the more worse considering everyone (players, staff, fans) but the owners are for Pearson. Yes, there were legitimate grounds for sacking him in February, but now of all times? Any positive feeling we had going into the pre-season has been smashed to smithereens.

Only a quality manager, one of respectable standing, still in his prime somewhat (As much as it pains me, no O'Neill or Hiddink (Not that I thought they would have any interest) would do it.) would be the only ones to turn things around.

I would like to believe that if they chose to sack him now, they have an extremely good replacement at the ready, because as noted above, there is no positive in this decision. Dyche... I would take a bit of time out myself. I heard Klopp being mentioned... Dortmund were 13th when Klopp took over, weirder things have happened, lol. (Not going to happen, I know. But still...)
Cambiasso player coach?

Not right, it's he won't get any bonuses for the season if we don't finish top 8, and if we get relegated won't cost anything to pay him out.

I'm expecting us to finish around 10th or so because we'll be playing in the Europa League.
Meh. The words I'm reading say, "expected to secure a top-8 finish or face the sack" ...

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Laudrup or Big Sam would be great gets for Leicester IMO.

I saw on the Leicester facebook page a lot of the reactions seem to be shock/puzzlement - guessing it really came out of nowhere?
I am tolerant to Big Sam. Won't mind him. Laudrup did some nice things with Swansea, although I did heard there was some weird things going on with training?

Neil Lennon is one I could see potentially, former Leiceister player.

Fat Sam said he was taking 6 months off. He'd want full control of transfers etc., and I'm not sure the Leicester Hierachy would want that.

Wonder if Martin O'Neill would come back as well. Would probably stay with the Ireland job though I think.

Could potentially happen, but not exactly the best choice considering our current situation. If it were February, different story. But he hasn't been spectacular with Bolton either.

I remember seeing that. Honestly, we have no real restrictions. If the owners believed you can nab a gun player, and needed 25 million to get him (we're talking players that Liverpool or Tottenham would be looking at, and above) they would allow you to do so. Of course, all within reason. I wouldn't mind Sam, but I think he will be taking time off.

Nah, will not happen. O'Neill's got no interest in the club level any more. Managing Ireland is a cushy gig. Even if he still had it, I really doubt he wants to tarnish his legacy at Leicester.
Cambiasso player coach?

Weirdly enough, the only true successor to Pearson. He has the players and staff onside, and likely most of the fans. Of course there will be some suggesting he's too raw (if he signs on, it is certain that he will have a coaching role), but of course we know the PL will give a chance for Cambiasso to get his qualifications.

There have been many talks that he was the one that was controlling things in our great escape, and he has serious influence on the world stage. The only question is a matter if he is truly ready to dive head first into the role, but honestly, I think it could be the start of something exciting again. A player/manager in the Premier League, been a fair while since we've had one on a permanent basis (So no suggestions Giggs, Monk, or McCall, alright?) In fact, I think it should be easier to be a player/manager in the Premier League considering all the coaches at the club that can lighten his load. His presence will be a huge boost onfield too.

Could be possible, and I would support it.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I'd personally be against Cambiasso. Nothing against him but he just doesn't have the managerial experience to manage a side in the PL.

That's not to say he won't ever get there, I just wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in him this season to keep us up.

As boring as he is, someone like Allardyce would be good for us. Can manage and has the experience.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Weirdly enough, the only true successor to Pearson. He has the players and staff onside, and likely most of the fans. Of course there will be some suggesting he's too raw (if he signs on, it is certain that he will have a coaching role), but of course we know the PL will give a chance for Cambiasso to get his qualifications.

There have been many talks that he was the one that was controlling things in our great escape, and he has serious influence on the world stage. The only question is a matter if he is truly ready to dive head first into the role, but honestly, I think it could be the start of something exciting again. A player/manager in the Premier League, been a fair while since we've had one on a permanent basis (So no suggestions Giggs, Monk, or McCall, alright?) In fact, I think it should be easier to be a player/manager in the Premier League considering all the coaches at the club that can lighten his load. His presence will be a huge boost onfield too.

Could be possible, and I would support it.
He could also use his networks and relationships to potentially bring better players to the club. I'd love it.

I'd personally be against Cambiasso. Nothing against him but he just doesn't have the managerial experience to manage a side in the PL.

That's not to say he won't ever get there, I just wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in him this season to keep us up.

As boring as he is, someone like Allardyce would be good for us. Can manage and has the experience.

Gary Monk had no managerial experience before this season. ;)

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens

Say Jatz, wasn't there a certain other manager in this league that had no management experience, not even coaching experience (if I recall correctly), but was so successful that he got his team into a Top 8 spot, improving his team by 4 spots last year, earning a nomination for Manager of the Year, and even after selling their best player, still looked just as potent?

Sure, we're not exactly as well positioned as that certain club, but if he really did have a major role in the Great Escape, then the damage that would hit our club's morale would be drastically reduced. Survival should still easily achievable, not to mention he's got most of the framework from last season.

I'd back him.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Gary Monk had no managerial experience before this season. ;)
Not even as an assistant manager?

It's not impossible he couldn't do well but I'd like someone that's done an apprenticeship as an Assistant manager at the very least.

People will definitely see that differently but it's just my personal opinion on what I'd like for the club.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Say Jatz, wasn't there a certain other manager in this league that had no management experience, not even coaching experience (if I recall correctly), but was so successful that he got his team into a Top 8 spot, improving his team by 4 spots last year, earning a nomination for Manager of the Year, and even after selling their best player, still looked just as potent?

Sure, we're not exactly as well positioned as that certain club, but if he really did have a major role in the Great Escape, then the damage that would hit our club's morale would be drastically reduced. Survival should still easily achievable, not to mention he's got most of the framework from last season.

I'd back him.
All valid points. What happens if we then get relegated anyway? Would he stick around to manage in the Championship? I doubt it.

It's not the worst idea, I'd just personally like someone with more experience.

Not even as an assistant manager?

It's not impossible he couldn't do well but I'd like someone that's done an apprenticeship as an Assistant manager at the very least.

People will definitely see that differently but it's just my personal opinion on what I'd like for the club.

He was playing for Swansea in 2013/14, and hung up the boots when Laudrup was sacked and took over fully this season.

I'd back him.

Beat you to it. :p

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
He was playing for Swansea in 2013/14, and hung up the boots when Laudrup was sacked and took over fully this season.
Fair enough, shows how much I know about Swansea hah!

It could very well happen and I'd love to be saying I'm wrong about all this, it's just not the direction I'd head in if given the chance.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
All valid points. What happens if we then get relegated anyway? Would he stick around to manage in the Championship? I doubt it.

Would you prefer a young up and coming manager or a manager that's been coaching in the EPL for years without great success?

Aitor Karanka could be an option. You'd get half of Vitesse in the deal.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Would you prefer a young up and coming manager or a manager that's been coaching in the EPL for years without great success?

Aitor Karanka could be an option. You'd get half of Vitesse in the deal.
Depends how you measure 'great success'? If they can keep us from relegation again this season, that will be successful to me.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Beat you to it. :p

Darn you! Beaten by mere seconds! I want him to think about Monk, but you just had to give him the answer!

Of course, we cannot deny the possibility of relegation, but with our squad, we should be expecting to survive. I believe Cambiasso will do that at a minimum. He's got an excellent footballing mind, and you can see glimpses of his tactics.

Fair enough, shows how much I know about Swansea hah!

It could very well happen and I'd love to be saying I'm wrong about all this, it's just not the direction I'd head in if given the chance.

As Bojan said, Cambiasso's now a young, up and coming manager. He will bring something fresh to the table. He also has all those connections as well, both as players and with managers. He will be given every chance to succeed, especially if Pearson's old staff stay behind to assist him. There is a lot of positives here.

For me, Cambiasso could potentially be the Kramaric of coaching. Give him the pre-season and every chance to succeed, and well... sky's the limit.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Darn you! Beaten by mere seconds! I want him to think about Monk, but you just had to give him the answer!

Of course, we cannot deny the possibility of relegation, but with our squad, we should be expecting to survive. I believe Cambiasso will do that at a minimum. He's got an excellent footballing mind, and you can see glimpses of his tactics.

As Bojan said, Cambiasso's now a young, up and coming manager. He will bring something fresh to the table. He also has all those connections as well, both as players and with managers. He will be given every chance to succeed, especially if Pearson's old staff stay behind to assist him. There is a lot of positives here.

For me, Cambiasso could potentially be the Kramaric of coaching. Give him the pre-season and every chance to succeed, and well... sky's the limit.
Since when? He hasn't even ruled out playing this season has he? Until he retires and puts his hand up, I don't know why he's even an option.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Since when? He hasn't even ruled out playing this season has he? Until he retires and puts his hand up, I don't know why he's even an option.

Alright, not yet, but he will be. Cambiasso's got his eye on management. Latest reports suggested that he was about to sign on for another year as a player/coach, where he would've been tutored under Pearson. He would be a young up-and-coming manager whether he had his apprenticeship under Pearson, or if the circumstance changes might suggest he takes the bold move.

He's only an option because he wants management, and who better than his 'current' team, who is now manager-less due to unusual circumstances. With the current situation, he's probably the best option we have that isn't a high ranking manager that can demand the immediate respect of the group.

Remember, the players chose to stay with Leicester because of the togetherness that Pearson created. They are his boys. Pearson's one reason why Schmeichel is willing to stay at Leicester instead of warming the bench of the big 4 like Begovich, or why Huth actually enjoyed his time with Leicester. My biggest worry is not matter how things go, players might look further up, or even sideways, and think there's something better rather than stay because they enjoy it here.

As I said, I don't mind Big Sam if he decides to overturn his decision, but I want someone that is really respected and has credentials. The only exception to that is Cambiasso.

i lol'd. What does that even mean? hahahahahahaha

Yeah, that was a bit, heh, you know. But for us, Kramaric is basically like Man United landing Rooney from Everton, but to a Leicester scale if you get me. Croatia's brightest youth prospect, the best since Davor Suker, scoring a crap ton of goals (In fact, he still won the Golden Boot for the Croatia league despite not playing for half a season). The technique and talent is there. What he needs is a good preseason. We have the right stuff to help him make an impression, that's all. I expect good things from him next season.

Just remember, we're Leicester, and you're Man United. Kramaric is a really exciting prospect to us.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yeah, that was a bit, heh, you know. But for us, Kramaric is basically like Man United landing Rooney from Everton, but to a Leicester scale if you get me. Croatia's brightest youth prospect, the best since Davor Suker, scoring a crap ton of goals (In fact, he still won the Golden Boot for the Croatia league despite not playing for half a season). The technique and talent is there. What he needs is a good preseason. We have the right stuff to help him make an impression, that's all. I expect good things from him next season.

Just remember, we're Leicester, and you're Man United. Kramaric is a really exciting prospect to us.
Ah. I understand you now. Didn't know what you were referencing. I like Kramaric fwiw. Mid season transfers rarely work out until the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back