The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being ambitious would be great but would a big name manager, particularly someone like De Boer come to Newcastle in the state you are in. From some of the bog average names that got linked to the Newcastle job and you current inept manager. Rodgers would be a huge upgrade.

Having said that I think Rodgers will take some time off. I actually think he might bide his time as he is actually a silly chance at the England job IMO.

Definitely the question jod. This summer saw the club relax some of its rigid processes but I suspect to have any hope of luring a top class manager, the club would need to give the manager full control on transfers. Potentially if we're looking down the barrel of another relegation come January they might allow it but it's probably unlikely to happen.

While the club's been in decline for years, I still think it would be fairly attractive for a manager wanting to try his luck in the PL. There's a lot of potential to grow something if they can get it right. As for De Boer, perhaps he could be tempted with our growing Oranje contingent. He has spoken highly of the club in the past which is encouraging. I suspect/hope if we gave him a $20-30m transfer budget and let him control his transfers it might at least appeal to him a tiny bit.

I know sometimes Toon fans get mocked for wanting a 'messiah' figure to turn the club around but I feel that's genuinely what we will need if McClaren turns out to be a bust. We need another Keegan or Sir Bobby to come in, get the city buzzing again, to send bolts of electricity throughout the club and who can turn this ailing ship around.

I know sometimes Toon fans get mocked for wanting a 'messiah' figure to turn the club around but I feel that's genuinely what we will need if McClaren turns out to be a bust. We need another Keegan or Sir Bobby to come in, get the city buzzing again, to send bolts of electricity throughout the club and who can turn this ailing ship around.
Sounds like us with Klopp!

So any thoughts on Fat Sam taking over at Sunderland?

For starters, Kevin Nolan will be employed again pretty soon, he'll get a 2 year deal just to improve the dressing room morale more than anything.

Fletcher will probably become the main striker, Sam likes to play 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 mostly. I don't think Defoe's going to get much of a chance (Sam didn't want him at West Ham 2 seasons ago from memory). I think he'll want to sign some defensive upgrades in the Jan Window as well, James Collins might head up there.

I still think they'll get relegated for mine.

I think it's terrible news that Alladyce is back in the PL, purely for the entertainment factor.

That being said I will only ever watch them if they are in a standalone fixture or playing Swansea so not too much of an issue.

I think for Sunderland, it's good news.

I think it's terrible news that Alladyce is back in the PL, purely for the entertainment factor.

That being said I will only ever watch them if they are in a standalone fixture or playing Swansea so not too much of an issue.

I think for Sunderland, it's good news.
Hammers were pretty attractive first half of last season. Allardyce has also done well at Bolton and Blackburn.

So any thoughts on Fat Sam taking over at Sunderland?

For starters, Kevin Nolan will be employed again pretty soon, he'll get a 2 year deal just to improve the dressing room morale more than anything.

Fletcher will probably become the main striker, Sam likes to play 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 mostly. I don't think Defoe's going to get much of a chance (Sam didn't want him at West Ham 2 seasons ago from memory). I think he'll want to sign some defensive upgrades in the Jan Window as well, James Collins might head up there.

I still think they'll get relegated for mine.

He's got a decent record of keeping clubs up. Hopefully Super Kev doesn't link up with Big Sam, he's a Geordie hero, his legacy would be seriously diminshed if he did go there IMO.

Should take a leaf out of Barton's book and refuse. ;)

We could use Collins at the moment haha.

I think he's a good appointment, exactly what Sunderland need.

Sadly reckon you're right SM. If nothing else, just watch as they roll us in the derby...again...

Sack manager on eve of derby, bring in new manager, win derby, rinse and repeat. :drunk:

I know it's very likely we're going to get beaten again in the derby - even more so now we've lost Krul for the season but can't help poking some fun at the appointment. ;)

12047337_10153244476702712_794361597_n.jpg

Also, check out this awful song if you want a laugh. You know it's bad when your own fellow fans cringe at it. :D

I know it's very likely we're going to get beaten again in the derby - even more so now we've lost Krul for the season but can't help poking some fun at the appointment. ;)

12096044_992193227488599_5610197171663866287_n.jpg

Also, check out this awful song if you want a laugh. You know it's bad when your own fellow fans cringe at it. :D

As soon as you said Super Kev, my first thought was of course Mr Phillips, and I thought, 'well, obviously.'

Here's hoping it is a fridge too far for Big Sam (I like him anyway, but that Sunderland team, ye gods.) He's got a lot of work with that team. I think Sunderland, just like Newscastle, need a complete culture change. Too many at both clubs just getting by, not really committed for the club. Sunderland is especially bad at this, but Newcastle is getting there.

One thing that does seem a little odd is that Sunderland have had decent managers come to them, and yet the best Newcastle could get was Steve McClaren, who had zero awareness of his own situation at Derby. I agree that Newcastle need someone big. The last manager that failed to qualify for the Euros is not exactly an inspiring choice. I hope for you guys that you turn it around, because when John Carver looks decent, and Pardew is doing things with Palace, it does seem to be a bit... you know (Then again, it remains to be seen if Pardew can keep things up.)

I think Sam is what they need. No nonsense manager who will shut out the crap from the 1st team. Think they'll go to 4-4-1-1 with Defoe and a big bloke like Toivonen playing in the front two positions

As soon as you said Super Kev, my first thought was of course Mr Phillips, and I thought, 'well, obviously.'

Here's hoping it is a fridge too far for Big Sam (I like him anyway, but that Sunderland team, ye gods.) He's got a lot of work with that team. I think Sunderland, just like Newscastle, need a complete culture change. Too many at both clubs just getting by, not really committed for the club. Sunderland is especially bad at this, but Newcastle is getting there.

One thing that does seem a little odd is that Sunderland have had decent managers come to them, and yet the best Newcastle could get was Steve McClaren, who had zero awareness of his own situation at Derby. I agree that Newcastle need someone big. The last manager that failed to qualify for the Euros is not exactly an inspiring choice. I hope for you guys that you turn it around, because when John Carver looks decent, and Pardew is doing things with Palace, it does seem to be a bit... you know (Then again, it remains to be seen if Pardew can keep things up.)

Please FT, Philips was just a 1 season wonder for them! He's certainly no Shearer! ;)

The annoying thing about McClaren's appointment was Charnley (our Managing Director) reportedly not even considering anyone else but McClaren. He wasn't many fans first choice but I still have some hope he can turn it around but the loss of Krul isn't going to help. Our game against Norwich is massive now. Need a win or can see the club going into meltdown mode ahead of the derby...

Both clubs need reboots badly. We need a new structure to run the club and to sign more players willing to put honest shifts instead of collecting a weekly paycheck and waiting for bigger clubs to come knocking. Our squad is not going to win a relegation battle which is a worry.

Please FT, Philips was just a 1 season wonder for them! He's certainly no Shearer! ;)

The annoying thing about McClaren's appointment was Charnley (our Managing Director) reportedly not even considering anyone else but McClaren. He wasn't many fans first choice but I still have some hope he can turn it around but the loss of Krul isn't going to help. Our game against Norwich is massive now. Need a win or can see the club going into meltdown mode ahead of the derby...

Both clubs need reboots badly. We need a new structure to run the club and to sign more players willing to put honest shifts instead of collecting a weekly paycheck and waiting for bigger clubs to come knocking. Our squad is not going to win a relegation battle which is a worry.
You did last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did last season.

Not sure if falling over the line really counts mate!

Though as things stand, we might be swapping leagues come next season. :D

Not sure if falling over the line really counts mate!

Though as things stand, we might be swapping leagues come next season. :D
Would rather swap with Chelsea, but you'll do!

Hammers were pretty attractive first half of last season. Allardyce has also done well at Bolton and Blackburn.
I'd argue that was more the West Ham Owners demanding that Attractive Attacking Football be played and Andy Carroll not being fit most of the first half of the season though.

He'll go straight to his tried and true methods of long balls up front to a target man, and bringing in big centre backs like James Collins I'm sure.

Not saying that it won't work either, but it's more of a question of how long will the Sunderland fans put up with it I suppose.

I think sadly that sums up the Newcastle ownership situation more than anything, and no decent manager is really going to go there unless things improve on that front.

I'd argue that was more the West Ham Owners demanding that Attractive Attacking Football be played and Andy Carroll not being fit most of the first half of the season though.

He'll go straight to his tried and true methods of long balls up front to a target man, and bringing in big centre backs like James Collins I'm sure.

Not saying that it won't work either, but it's more of a question of how long will the Sunderland fans put up with it I suppose.

Good post DBAH0, will definitely be interesting to see what style they adopt as their squad isn't really geared at the moment to play a long ball direct system. There's already talk of Nolan following him to Wearside which would be a start but would almost certainly turn Nolan from a celebrated Toon hero to a dastardly villain. :D

I think sadly that sums up the Newcastle ownership situation more than anything, and no decent manager is really going to go there unless things improve on that front.

Therein lies the problem. Ownership structure is quite rigid and unwilling to give manager's much power over signings. No ambitious manager who might be able to turn the playing side around will go to a club where he's essentially asked to manage with one hand tied behind his back.

Good post DBAH0, will definitely be interesting to see what style they adopt as their squad isn't really geared at the moment to play a long ball direct system. There's already talk of Nolan following him to Wearside which would be a start but would almost certainly turn Nolan from a celebrated Toon hero to a dastardly villain. :D

Therein lies the problem. Ownership structure is quite rigid and unwilling to give manager's much power over signings. No ambitious manager who might be able to turn the playing side around will go to a club where he's essentially asked to manage with one hand tied behind his back.
Signing Nolan is fine to improve the morale more than anything else. The dressing room at West Ham when we got relegated was horrible and Nolan came in and really helped to get things back on track there. The problem will be if Sam actually starts him, especially in a 4-3-3 formation, he just doesn't have the legs anymore to last more than 45 minutes at the Premier League level anymore IMO.

He's already getting linked with Tomkins and Collins, I'd say the latter is far more likely to go in the Jan Transfer Window, he's out of contract I think come June, and he won't be starting ahead of the other 3 CB's we have, so it makes sense for both parties.

Amalfitano might go there as well, he's available for free now after a bust-up with Bilic, would be a decent squad player for Sunderland who could give them a bit of creativity which they probably need.

As for the Newcastle Ownership situation, I feel for you NUFC Tiger, because well we went through a similar thing with the Icelandic Owners, albeit they were completely different to Ashley in terms of how they splashed the cash, but they sent the club to $120M in debt. If we didn't have Gold and Sullivan pick us up afterwards, we could be a Div 2 team right now. So I'd hope eventually there's a White Knight scenario out there but that probably depends on Ashley deciding he's had enough and moving on which probably right now doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Leeds have just sacked Uwe Rossler. Weird club, weird owner .. :$

I'm sure Neil Redfearn would be having a good laugh somewhere today. The manager that he replaced at Rotherham Steve Evans is likely to be their new manager apparently.

I actually thought Cellino might just say to hell with it, and bring in an Italian like Gianfranco Zola. Have turned into a shambles of a club, and some of their younger talent like Sam Byram will probably go at the end of the season.

The Real Sociedad fans were also chanting Moyes Go Home in English after their defeat last night, they've only won once this season in La Liga so he might not last much longer....

I'm shocked that a team performing poorly would decide to change managers.

This is unprecedented.

They aren't performing that poorly, and he's been in charge for 12 games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back