The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic have announced Ronny Deila as manager from Norwegian club Stromsgodset who he took to their first league title in 42 years.

Welcome to Glasgow Celtic Ronny, Hail Hail.

Im Cautiously Optimistic on this one. Hadnt heard of him prior to his link with the managers post and subsequent appointment.
Bit out of left field this one, but Im quite glad we didnt jump on the old manager merry go round of the tried and tested (failed) names that have been supposedly in the running.

He fits the bill regarding where the club is at the moment i.e. used to working on limited budgets (especially compared to England and most of Europe) so a strong need to develop our own (something we used to be very good at) and use the moneyball principle to find hidden gems out there, that operate in our price range and coach them on to bigger and better things.

He has an attacking football philosophy too, which our fans crave.

Hopefully he is given the time by the fans to get his ideas in place.(Some of our support feel we should have appointed a more established name, and will be waiting with the old I told you so...)

Interesting times ahead

Welcome to Glasgow Celtic Ronny, Hail Hail.

Im Cautiously Optimistic on this one. Hadnt heard of him prior to his link with the managers post and subsequent appointment.
Bit out of left field this one, but Im quite glad we didnt jump on the old manager merry go round of the tried and tested (failed) names that have been supposedly in the running.

He fits the bill regarding where the club is at the moment i.e. used to working on limited budgets (especially compared to England and most of Europe) so a strong need to develop our own (something we used to be very good at) and use the moneyball principle to find hidden gems out there, that operate in our price range and coach them on to bigger and better things.

He has an attacking football philosophy too, which our fans crave.

Hopefully he is given the time by the fans to get his ideas in place.(Some of our support feel we should have appointed a more established name, and will be waiting with the old I told you so...)

Interesting times ahead
I think he would be on a lot less money than those bigger names would be asking for. 12 month rolling contract is interesting and a smart move by Celtic if things don't work out, but realistically you shouldn't be failing.

NEW MANAGER: Albion have appointed Sami Hyypia as the new first-team manager. The 40-year-old has agreed a three-year deal. See seagulls.co.uk for full story.

NEW MANAGER: Albion have appointed Sami Hyypia as the new first-team manager. The 40-year-old has agreed a three-year deal. See seagulls.co.uk for full story.

Good get!

Surprised he came to Brighton, bit of a step down from Leverkusen.

I'm not. We've got a very good owner, brand new state of the art facilities and the championships biggest average crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is not to say he's not still a great get for your club. Which is my point. He's come from a top-level Bundesliga club to Brighton.

I'm not holding that up as much of an achievement. He didn't have his full coaching certs when he got the job and it sounds like he had a lot of help during the time he was winning, when that help went he started to flounder.

I get what you mean, but I don't think it's the big coup some people are making it out to be.

I'm not holding that up as much of an achievement. He didn't have his full coaching certs when he got the job and it sounds like he had a lot of help during the time he was winning, when that help went he started to flounder.

I get what you mean, but I don't think it's the big coup some people are making it out to be.
Agree with this. It's not like he's completely proven as a manager.

There's a bit of risk in it for Brighton but I still think it's a calculated risk.

Agree with this. It's not like he's completely proven as a manager.

There's a bit of risk in it for Brighton but I still think it's a calculated risk.

Well our owner made his millions selling a betting agency and plays professional poker for fun so he's not adverse to taking the odd gamble.

I think he would be on a lot less money than those bigger names would be asking for. 12 month rolling contract is interesting and a smart move by Celtic if things don't work out, but realistically you shouldn't be failing.

The 12 month rolling contract has been in place for any manager at Celtic Park since the cost of sacking Tony Mowbray and his staff, a hard lesson learned. Your right, His wages will also be more inline with our budget, the big names would have sold season books, but have been shown that their times in English football, means the cheque book is just as important as their tactics, Deila is not from this background.

Your right re the not failing thing if you mean domestically, if he can improve on Lennon's cup record then great.

Its European football he will be judged on and he has 3 qualifying rounds to navigate to get to the champions league, so has to hit the ground running and this is where the fans need a little patience if we dont qualify.

Bruce top target for Southampton now apparently. They can **** off.
Please don't take this the wrong way but that must be depressing for Southampton fans. Going from playing really fluid, attractive football to playing the Steve Bruce way. He isn't likely to improve them on the table so at best they will finish in a similar position while playing less attractive football.

Please don't take this the wrong way but that must be depressing for Southampton fans. Going from playing really fluid, attractive football to playing the Steve Bruce way. He isn't likely to improve them on the table so at best they will finish in a similar position while playing less attractive football.

Well that's actually what a lot of people are saying. And then you consider from Bruce's point of view, he has total control over everything at Hull, only meets with the owners once a month, has no transfer budget - he just says to the owners "I really want this guy for reasons x y and z" and they go after them (he's only had one transfer flop - Prozzy - so not hard to see why they trust him) - so why would he go from that to having a Director of Football and day to day restrictions at Soton.

It doesn't seem a good match from anyone's point of view.

He flew back from his holiday to have a board meeting with our owners where he gave them a list of targets as a way of saying "Don't worry I'm not going anywhere".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back