Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was a kid we had clappers and floggers (I think they were sadly called), and we used to stand in GA at the MCG and elevate ourselves to adults' shoulder height by standing on the empty VB cans in six packs. We'd get in for free at 3 quarter time, and kick the ball on the hallowed turf after the match. Can we do anything like this, I poignantly wonder?

I personally think Muggsy is under utilized on game day. I think he should commentate the game and have it broadcast through the PA.

I personally think Muggsy is under utilized on game day. I think he should commentate the game and have it broadcast through the PA.
Presumably in a sound proof booth.

Yes, the best game day experience would be a team that was not getting flogged each week I know but the game day experience has been pushed a bit by Greg Swann and there have been a few changes. I wonder if people have noticed and what they think. My observations from the home games so far are:

* I think Muggsy has toned it down a bit and the volume control is, well, more controlled. I am personally thankful for this.
* From my kids' perspective Lions Park seems a bit ordinary this year. They had some army vehicles today which was in theme and ok. My 7 and 9 year old kids want more of the jumping castle game stuff and that seems to be a bit less this year.
* I'm a September member (stupid optimist) but haven't been by the social club yet. I've heard its a bit ordinary and over priced. On the bus one day I heard a member from the old social club days saying it was a pale imitation. I'll give it a go at some point myself.
* Last year I was over in section 66 but moved to 44 this year as there are quite a few day games and I was worried about the sun. I used to like having that Captain's Bar thing just nearby from 66 but I think its a premium members bar now or has been the subject of some dispute? Not sure but I always thought it was a bargain to have that bar available as a free for all. Those are just about the best seats in the house probably.
* I've noticed some extra signage around the place promoting the 'game day experience' which is good I guess.
* The cage thing wasn't promoted today I think. Is anyone involved in that and how is it?
* The mascot situation seems a bit fluid. We had Bernie, then the extra 'real' Lion and today I didn't notice either.
* I'm thankful for a generally fairly sensible approach to bringing food and drink into the ground and for kick to kick. Both of these things have been major issues in Vic. The thermos coffee/tea issue was cleared up (good for my wife). Once last year I had an issue with my kids' water bottles but this year ok. I'm not sure if that is policy or just I've been lucky with slack bag checkers.
* Archie Smith was in the Lions shop ready to sign merch today. The shop was packed but he was sitting all alone. Are Lions fans too polite or don't know/care enough to ask the bloke for an autograph? He looked a bit sad that no one was talking to him to be honest. I feel sorry for those guys having to wear suits to the games. They look like nice suits though I guess.
* I'd like to see rocket man and some drummers/dancers a la Big Bash League.

Last edited:
Introducing the squad one by one is a bit much.

Sick of muggsy!

I think they didn't introduce them one by one the first week but then reverted to it? Maybe they got feedback that people wanted it?

I've not been a fan of Muggsy either but as I said do feel he's toned it down a bit, possibly at direction from management, and that's a good thing.

Second week in a row been asked to tip water out on entry. Spoke to a few eagles fans with kids at the solitary water fountain in my area near bay 66 and they were filling up about 3 kids water bottles. I couldnt explain why.. Its just madness. Does anyone know the reason for this action?

Not as bad as security at Suncorp stadium last weekend who made me open up a bag of twisties and tip them out into a clear plastic bag if I wanted to take them in.

Second week in a row been asked to tip water out on entry. Spoke to a few eagles fans with kids at the solitary water fountain in my area near bay 66 and they were filling up about 3 kids water bottles. I couldnt explain why.. Its just madness. Does anyone know the reason for this action?

Not as bad as security at Suncorp stadium last weekend who made me open up a bag of twisties and tip them out into a clear plastic bag if I wanted to take them in.

You're not allowed to bring in opened bottles of any kind into any games at the gabba. Mainly an alcohol related thing. Although not sure how it relates to thermos's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It's about $$$$$$$$$
You could be bringing in alcohol which impacts alcohol sales.
As for food packaging, it is about sponsorship $$$$$.
No commercial packaging is allowed.

This is of course detailed on the venue's website, but is further than they've taken it before. You can take in a thermos, which I think they're supposed to check, but I don't see the diff between vodka in a water bottle or in your thermos.

Lightening our wallets the only real reason i can think of.. $5 for a bottle of water at the ground :mad:

If it really is to stop people bringing in alcohol... surely a sniff test of the bottle/container should suffice. I have always taken water to sporting events and never been asked to tip it out.

Its only a small gripe but I can imagine the frustration of families coming along only to be jacked with all these rules about bringing in food and drink.

Yep we've had kids water bottle issues before. We're taking thermos' now and haven't had an issue but the inconsistency is really annoying. My thermos at the Richmond game had alcohol in it. The bag checking is pretty slack I find so we've covered up stuff pretty easily inside a jumper or under a magazine or something. I've pretty much given up buying food there due to the prices and poor quality. Yesterday we made hamburgers at home and brought them in and did buy some chips.

When you have a "captive" clientele, it is nothing short of price gouging and cannot be justified. Reading all the above, it is no wonder they are not getting bums on seats.
Absolutely. I can afford GA season tickets, 5 beers, 3soft drinks and some food at the footy, but would describe our 11 visits to the Gabba a bit of an extravagance. We don't eat out (other than take-away), go to movies or concerts, so our social life spending is fairly restricted/focussed on the footy. I'm 45, so I reckon my family deserves the extravagance of going to the footy, but we probably deserve to spend on a few other things that we don't as a result.
5 years ago we would never have dreamt, dared or been able to go to 11 games at the Gabba. I imagine there are thousands of families that would love to go and not have to cart their drinks and food from home, but just cannot possibly afford to.
It shouldn't be an experience only available to people with decent disposable income. For my family to have a day at the footy and not pack meals from home cost about $80 (there's 4 of us). That's just food and drink. (We could obviously do it much cheaper, but like I said, that's our treat). People should be able to go to the footy, have a few beers, some chips and a pie or hotdog without busting the budget.

Other stadia froze or dropped their food prices in response to public outcry, but this lot thought it appropriate to push them up, and the kicker is they don't provide very good product or service.

Do most people really prefer the type of food that O'Brien's dish up? i.e. fried food like chips, hamburgers, pies etc. I know its all traditional but I don't really know anyone these days who would choose that type of food over something a bit nicer and healthier. Even say, a lasagne and salad or tacos or a chicken curry. Is that type of food just not popular or is it too expensive to produce in Oz? I go to the Brisbane Bandits baseball sometimes and they invite food trucks in that provide some pretty decent food. It's a smaller scale though and its entirely possible I'm a complete freak.

Do most people really prefer the type of food that O'Brien's dish up? i.e. fried food like chips, hamburgers, pies etc. I know its all traditional but I don't really know anyone these days who would choose that type of food over something a bit nicer and healthier. Even say, a lasagne and salad or tacos or a chicken curry. Is that type of food just not popular or is it too expensive to produce in Oz? I go to the Brisbane Bandits baseball sometimes and they invite food trucks in that provide some pretty decent food. It's a smaller scale though and its entirely possible I'm a complete freak.
Would definitely prefer a curry and rice or German sausage, or Japanese food, but no-one's going to produce that in the quantities and time to cope with a decent Gabba crowd. I bet if such vendors were allowed in, they'd sell out before quarter time and the lines would mean missing that first quarter.

Absolutely. I can afford GA season tickets, 5 beers, 3soft drinks and some food at the footy, but would describe our 11 visits to the Gabba a bit of an extravagance. We don't eat out (other than take-away), go to movies or concerts, so our social life spending is fairly restricted/focussed on the footy. I'm 45, so I reckon my family deserves the extravagance of going to the footy, but we probably deserve to spend on a few other things that we don't as a result.
5 years ago we would never have dreamt, dared or been able to go to 11 games at the Gabba. I imagine there are thousands of families that would love to go and not have to cart their drinks and food from home, but just cannot possibly afford to.
It shouldn't be an experience only available to people with decent disposable income. For my family to have a day at the footy and not pack meals from home cost about $80 (there's 4 of us). That's just food and drink. (We could obviously do it much cheaper, but like I said, that's our treat). People should be able to go to the footy, have a few beers, some chips and a pie or hotdog without busting the budget.

Other stadia froze or dropped their food prices in response to public outcry, but this lot thought it appropriate to push them up, and the kicker is they don't provide very good product or service.

As a club, it could be an option to offer food and drink vouchers in the memberships, or maybe even have some door prizes with a $20 voucher. If the club is being seen to try to counteract the price hike, the fans will appreciate the effort. A quiet word to Gil could get that funded after the MCG deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back